Bamian, Afghan in Bailey's Crossroads

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ies=Restaurants

is the link to the Washington Post review by Walter Nicholls which gave this two and one half stars a week ago. I have not seen one single post on here or recently on Chowhound about this restaurant which, for me, is clearly now the best kebob house/restaurant in the D. C. area. I have raved in the past about the Persian Shamshiry, Ravi Kebob, Amoo's and several others. Bamian is in a league of its own.

The Post review is excellent. I would only emphasize the remarkable decor of this restaurant and the effect this has on eating food like this in a such an ambience: it really elevates it. Also, almost everything here is outstanding. Truly outstanding. If your grandmother was Afghan and an excellent cook who did everything from scratch she probably would still NOT be as good as what you will find here. The lamb kebobs are delicious, succulent alone almost worth the drive from Germantown to Baileys Cross Roads. A pumpkin vegetable side, a braised lamb side that comes with the chops, the "chutney," grilled vegetables, all the kebobs even the boneless chicken breast-I can imagine that New Yorkers will come here and regret they have nothing at home that even approaches this!

I must confess to real disappointment: not at Bamian but at this and other boards. One of the roles of boards like this is to discover and share genuine finds. Bamian has been open for a number of months and until the Post review lent credibility there were only a handful of responses from months ago on Chowhound which received little attention. For all of the energy expended on a handful of restaurants it is sad that true excellence like this does not receive the attention it deserves. Even after a rave review in the Sunday Post there was not a single post here or on Chowhound. I suppose that all message boards have their favorites but even an excellent restaurant like this needs the publicity to survive.

Addendum: Washingtonian did have a brief review in Bamian's inclusion in its 100 best cheap restaurants. This is the link: http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/restau...ail.asp?id=2271 . I am guessing that this preceded the Post piece but neither generated any mention on any of the boards. For myself it was the emphasis by the Post and Nicholls' two and one half star rating that gave it credibility.

Edited by Joe H

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. There are far too many parents who have kids that may be intimidated by "Afghan" food. (How many people reading this have even had Afghan food? Of any kind? For that matter how many Afghan restaurants are there-even in New York? D. C. is one of the few places in North America that have a number of Afghan places. Hamburgers and chicken nuggets on a childrens' menu (with "Afghan" fries) are reassuring and I suspect potentially allow a lot of families to try this for the first time who otherwise might not come.

I am not familiar with Gillian Clark's philosophy but the Colorado Grill is not an Afghan restaurant and, I think, dinner there would elicit a different reaction from a five year old than dinner at Bamian. I think Bamian's owners are doing a very smart thing by offering several "safe" dishes for kids.

Or for spouses who are grudgingly dragged along.

Bamian's Website

The website has $5 off coupons for spending more than $30.

I'll give this place a try this week.

I would strongly urge anyone going to order the "Bamian" platter and use the $5.00 off coupons. The "meat sauce" on the side with the lamb kabobs is outstanding in its own right. This would allow a very good sample of the different tastes they offer. I'd also urge a side of the pumpkin dish, too and don't forget the spicy but addictive cilantro and hot pepper "chutney." Remarkably they also have a relatively good sample of decent wines by the glass.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. There are far too many parents who have kids that may be intimidated by "Afghan" food. (How many people reading this have even had Afghan food? Of any kind? For that matter how many Afghan restaurants are there-even in New York? D. C. is one of the few places in North America that have a number of Afghan places. Hamburgers and chicken nuggets on a childrens' menu (with "Afghan" fries) are reassuring and I suspect potentially allow a lot of families to try this for the first time who otherwise might not come.

I started a post earlier about my displeasure with their kids menu but thought it too off-topic. Now that others are discussing, I will weigh in with my unsolicited advice. :)

I'm totally disappointed by the $6 chicken nuggets/strips or burger option. For a restaurant whose entrees average around $14 for real food, they could do some really great kids options. I'm thinking a mini skewer of grilled meat, very lightly seasoned and served with a serving of rice and a small bread. What kid doesn't love rice and bread? You use that to bridge the gap to the grilled meat, which most kids are familiar with anyways, it's the blend of spices that may be foreign. My nearly 3 year old will eat just about any ethnic cuisine if it's presented to her in a familiar way (i.e. introducing sauces on the side, explain that kafta is just a long meatball) and she's in a setting where everyone else is doing it too. I think Bamian's missing out on a great opportunity to get the next generation hooked on Afghan food.

Before this thread digresses into the topic of childrens' food at Bamien I really hope that people on this board try the restaurant itself and much of that which has been discussed above. Please bear in mind that virtually no one on this board has been to this restaurant. I only ask that people experience Bamien for themselves first-then we talk about their childrens' menu. Thank you.

Edited by Joe H

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ies=Restaurants

is the link to the Washington Post review by Walter Nicholls which gave this two and one half stars a week ago. I have not seen one single post on here or recently on Chowhound about this restaurant which, for me, is clearly now the best kebob house/restaurant in the D. C. area. I have raved in the past about the Persian Shamshiry, Ravi Kebob, Amoo's and several others. Bamian is in a league of its own.

The Post review is excellent. I would only emphasize the remarkable decor of this restaurant and the effect this has on eating food like this in a such an ambience: it really elevates it. Also, almost everything here is outstanding. Truly outstanding. If your grandmother was Afghan and an excellent cook who did everything from scratch she probably would still NOT be as good as what you will find here. The lamb kebobs are delicious, succulent alone almost worth the drive from Germantown to Baileys Cross Roads. A pumpkin vegetable side, a braised lamb side that comes with the chops, the "chutney," grilled vegetables, all the kebobs even the boneless chicken breast-I can imagine that New Yorkers will come here and regret they have nothing at home that even approaches this!

I must confess to real disappointment: not at Bamian but at this and other boards. One of the roles of boards like this is to discover and share genuine finds. Bamian has been open for a number of months and until the Post review lent credibility there were only a handful of responses from months ago on Chowhound which received little attention. For all of the energy expended on a handful of restaurants it is sad that true excellence like this does not receive the attention it deserves. Even after a rave review in the Sunday Post there was not a single post here or on Chowhound. I suppose that all message boards have their favorites but even an excellent restaurant like this needs the publicity to survive.

Addendum: Washingtonian did have a brief review in Bamian's inclusion in its 100 best cheap restaurants. This is the link: http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/restau...ail.asp?id=2271 . I am guessing that this preceded the Post piece but neither generated any mention on any of the boards. For myself it was the emphasis by the Post and Nicholls' two and one half star rating that gave it credibility.

Did you go to this restaurant and check it out before it was validated (to you) by the Post and the 2 1/2 stars? If so, why didn't you write about it? Hopefully you included yourself in your disappointment.

Now back to talk about kid menus at Afghan restaurants...

I must confess to real disappointment: not at Bamian but at this and other boards.

We ate there shortly after it opened. Thought it was a very pretty place that was obviously intended for social gatherings like wedding receptions. The food was OK, but overpriced, unless you enjoy spending up for fancy surroundings. A nice place to take a date or your non-chowish friends.

A quick look at the comments to the WashPost review bear me out -- one comment says it's good but pricey, the other says they like "fine French restaurants" but enjoyed Bamiyan.

I've been much happier with the vegetables at the Food Corner Kabob shop in Annandale, and the meat at Kabob Bazaar in Clarendon.

http://foodcornerkabob.com/

http://www.kabobbazaar.com/

But that's just me. I'm there for the chow.

One a side topic, if they serve alcoholic beverages, how can the rest of the food be halal? I don't think it is, the menu doesn't say it is. And if it's not halal, who is the intended customer base? The population in Afghanistan is almost 100% Muslim. Westernized food is not what I am looking for when I go to an Afghani place.

One a side topic, if they serve alcoholic beverages, how can the rest of the food be halal? And if it's not halal, who is the intended customer base? The population in Afghanistan is almost 100% Muslim. Westernized food is not what I am looking for when I go to an Afghani place.

While I'm not sure if this applies to Bamian, if a strictly Muslim restaurant serves alcohol at all they will generally take any profits from the sale of booze and donate it to a charity at the end of the year. This actually holds true for some of the more expensive hotel chains owned by Saudis or other Gulf nationals, which leads to quiet donations of several million dollars. So, it's not terrifically Muslim to have alcohol at the restaurant but there are ways around it. Also, the food is still hallal because that pertains to a seperate set of dietary restrictions/preparations outside of the general Qur'anic injunction against drinking. Anyhoo, it's complicated, but long story short is that I doubt they've Westernized the food much at all.

'ilaa al'liqaa, rockwellians.

While I'm not sure if this applies to Bamian, if a strictly Muslim restaurant serves alcohol at all they will generally take any profits from the sale of booze and donate it to a charity at the end of the year. This actually holds true for some of the more expensive hotel chains owned by Saudis or other Gulf nationals, which leads to quiet donations of several million dollars. So, it's not terrifically Muslim to have alcohol at the restaurant but there are ways around it. Also, the food is still hallal because that pertains to a seperate set of dietary restrictions/preparations outside of the general Qur'anic injunction against drinking. Anyhoo, it's complicated, but long story short is that I doubt they've Westernized the food much at all.

'ilaa al'liqaa, rockwellians.

hank you for the explanation. I was wondering about this.

We ate there shortly after it opened. Thought it was a very pretty place that was obviously intended for social gatherings like wedding receptions. The food was OK, but overpriced, unless you enjoy spending up for fancy surroundings. A nice place to take a date or your non-chowish friends.

A quick look at the comments to the WashPost review bear me out -- one comment says it's good but pricey, the other says they like "fine French restaurants" but enjoyed Bamiyan.

I've been much happier with the vegetables at the Food Corner Kabob shop in Annandale, and the meat at Kabob Bazaar in Clarendon.

http://foodcornerkabob.com/

http://www.kabobbazaar.com/

But that's just me. I'm there for the chow.

One a side topic, if they serve alcoholic beverages, how can the rest of the food be halal? I don't think it is, the menu doesn't say it is. And if it's not halal, who is the intended customer base? The population in Afghanistan is almost 100% Muslim. Westernized food is not what I am looking for when I go to an Afghani place.

Which Afghan restaurant in the D. C. area is better? Who has better kebobs of all restaurants that have kebobs? I must prefer Bamian to Kebob Bazaar which IS good but not on the level of this. What do you think of Shamshiry? I'm floored by your comments that the food was merely "ok." If Bamian is merely "ok" for its food I would really like to know who is better? Also, I can't help but wonder if Bamian wasn't going through some growing pains when you went just after they opened. The two comments from the Post are (for me) quite a bit more enthusiastic than you imply. This is the actual comment which mentioned "fine French restaurants:"

Posted by drdt on Jul 21, 2006

The aushak was great. Many things on the menu were new to me. I normally prefer fine French restaurants(Chez Francois)but this is a great dining experience I have been there 4 times now and am looking forward to the next meal there. Family friendly yet elegant. Try it. "

This is the other comment:

"A new favorite!

Posted by jkindinger on Jul 24, 2006

The moment you walk in the door the aroma will seduce you! My boyfriend and I are both familiar with Afghan cuisine, and this is some of the best we've had! The pumpkin is sweet and the touch of youghurt a perfect tangy compliment. Both our kebabs were moist, spicy, and flavorful. The palau is fabulous - order extra! I live nearby and can't wait to come back until I've tried everything on the menu! A touch pricier than I'd expected (kebabs in the 11-14 range, entrees a buck or two more), but considering I've paid much more for far less in quantity and taste this place is a welcome addition to my list of favorites - I'll even be taking my mother there in a few weeks"

I'm sorry but the actual comments, I think, are a bit different than you imply. I'm just floored that you thought the food at Bamien was just "ok."

Edited by Joe H

I've had just about as close to the real deal as anyone this side of Kandahar (indeed, while living in Pakistan Afghan friends took me to one particular restaurant that was "better than home" according to them) and I'm curious about Bamian. I wasn't a big fan of Shamshiry before I left -- Ravi Kabob and Food Factory in College Park are my two favorite kabob places, and after returning from abroad I can say that Ravi Kabob does an excellent job, but there's still something missing. So my question: I'm car-less. Any suggestions for easy ways to get to Bamian and check it out?

K

I've had just about as close to the real deal as anyone this side of Kandahar (indeed, while living in Pakistan Afghan friends took me to one particular restaurant that was "better than home" according to them) and I'm curious about Bamian. I wasn't a big fan of Shamshiry before I left -- Ravi Kabob and Food Factory in College Park are my two favorite kabob places, and after returning from abroad I can say that Ravi Kabob does an excellent job, but there's still something missing. So my question: I'm car-less. Any suggestions for easy ways to get to Bamian and check it out?

K

he "meat sauce" they serve with it. The chutney puts all of this over the top for me. Confession: I am a big fan of Shamshiry in large part because of their rice. Bamian is strong with this, too and may, in a sense, be a kind of "Afghan" Shamshiry for its overall menu as well as (at Shamshiry) salmon kebobs and the signature kebob whose name I just conveniently forgot. There is an Afghan kebob house in Reston ("Reston Kebob House") which has excellent chicken kebobs also. I have not been to Food Factory but will try it. (I graduated from MD far too long ago!) I wish I could help with transportation to Bailey's Cross Roads but I suspect this will be a real hike.

I'm just floored that you thought the food at Bamien was just "ok."

Maybe you're right that there were "growing pains" when we tried it the week it opened. Will try again and report back.

But, since you bring up Shamshiry -- I think the various rice dishes at Shamshiry are wonderful. The rest of it is only OK. (Clarification -- by "OK" I mean "good enough". On a scale of 1 to 10, OK is 6.)

There used to be a wonderful Afghani place in Herndon that is the standard against which I judge all Afghani restaurants in DC. Wonder where that went. I hope the owners are living large in Kabul.

As you know, Shamshiry is Persian. Not that I think this is significant, the overlap between cuisines from Lebanon, Egypt, Iran and Afghanistan, etc., are very close.

For Middle Eastern chow/cuisine, without limitation to nation, in the DC metro area, Lebanese Taverna is my own gold standard, and I enjoy the ambience at the one in Tyson's Galleria the best. But usually shop at the takeout Market in Arlington and make my own rice at home.

We adore Middle Eastern food so this is a subject dear to my heart.

Ilaine, I really don't mean to be so picky it's just that based on what my wife and I had at Bamian last Saturday night-it was really, really good. Like yourselves we love Middle Eastern/Pakistani/Afghan/Indian food. I also respect that my wife often disagrees with me. Often! Shamshiry (and perhaps Bamien) can also depend on what one orders. (She loves both by the way.) I am certain there are many who will go to Shamshiry and not even order one of their special rices. A real loss. But I really believe that someone going there and not ordering this will leave with a different impression from someone who goes, orders a special rice, perhaps the salmon kebob or chicken on the bone, the lamb kebob whose name I cannot remember, etc.

Bilrus and I once had a disagreement (I was wrong!) about the Reston Kebob House. I went soon after it opened and didn't like it at all. Bleech!!! Really. Now, having grudgingly gone back several months later (after he stood up to my bs) I love the place and we get kebobs there once every couple of weeks. (Thanks, Bilrus!) Please try Bamien again. I think you'll really like it. I'd also ask you to order what we ordered last Saturday just to be on the safe side/to placate me.

The Afghan place in Herndon? Are we thinking of the same one which is in the center where Hard Times Cafe is? Would you believe I'm not crazy about it!!!!!!!

Oh well. Have sympathy for my wife who puts up with me!

Thanks, Ilaine.

One other quick thing, before I forget -- and I'm not bringing this up to be argumentative, just to bring up a point brought up in the thread on authenticity. Salmon is not found in Persia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, or India. There is a fish that they call "salmon" over there that I only saw sold in the markets that cater to Westerners, but it is decidedly *not* salmon. So the salmon kebabs at Bamian, Shamshiry, or whereever are definitely not "authentic" if one is going to be a strict traditionalist.

As is clear from prior posts, I have not eaten at Bamian. And additionally, I don't think it matters -- matters whether or not I've eaten there, or whether or not salmon is authentic to the area. If the salmon kebab at Bamian is as good as JoeH says, well, I think that it might be a sign of an adventurous kitchen or chef trying to stretch the limits of native cuisine and introduce old spices to new meats. My mother makes a wonderful curry using leftover steamed Maryland blue crabs -- a good example. I make a turkey dish similar to butter chicken from leftovers after every Thanksgiving that also fits the bill.

There's a chance that the chefs at Bamian will disagree, but biologically salmon doesn't exist in that part of the world. And I'll be the first to say: who cares? If its delicious, well, more power to the chef.

K

There used to be a wonderful Afghani place in Herndon that is the standard against which I judge all Afghani restaurants in DC. Wonder where that went. I hope the owners are living large in Kabul.
Oh, was that the place (let me openly admit to a terrible sense of the geography of that part of VA, nay, all of VA) that was a free standing building in the parking lot of a strip mall? Call Bamyan, I think? God, did I love that place!

Oh, was that the place (let me openly admit to a terrible sense of the geography of that part of VA, nay, all of VA) that was a free standing building in the parking lot of a strip mall? Call Bamyan, I think? God, did I love that place!

The place I was thinking of was on Spring St. in Sunset Business Park. Long gone.

Today I tried to find Bamyan on Elden St., in KMart Plaza, and it appears that it's been replaced by a nail parlor.

As a consolation prize, I decided to lunch at Panjshir II in Vienna, but after waiting 15 minutes in an almost empty restaurant without a waiter in sight, only a busboy who spoke no English, I gave up and came home to a Trader Joe's green chile and cheese tamale. Not at all what I had in mind, but my experience with Panjshir service is that it's always too "relaxed" for lunch on a work day.

The place I was thinking of was on Spring St. in Sunset Business Park. Long gone.

Today I tried to find Bamyan on Elden St., in KMart Plaza, and it appears that it's been replaced by a nail parlor.

Where has Food Factory gone? A couple of weeks ago, I ended up driving up-and-down Elden Street for about 20 minutes (with road construction), and I never did find it. I ended up getting a smoothie at Robeck's which really, truly made me feel like a loser, especially when I didn't produce a frequent buyer's card.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I haven't been to Ravi yet (it's on my DR to-eat list), so all I can do is rate how Bamian compares to Shamshiry and Moby Dick for kabobs.

The scorecard:

Kabobs: I can't really compare to Shamshiry, as the cuts of meat I had were different, but Bamian was easily as good or better than Moby's. The lamb of milady was a tad bit overdone, but I thought they were still juicy. My Bamian Kabob was also excellent, but benefited even more from the green hot pickle relish. Call it what you will.

Green hot pickle relish: Much better done at Bamian than Shamshiry. I find the Shamshiry relish to be fine if I want my ass kicked, but I normally have to tuck it into the pat of butter if I'm going to put it on the bread.

Bread: Bamian wins, hands down. Shamshiry's bread is never going to be its selling point. I never have room for the bread at Moby's, since I fill up on rice. I normally give it to wandering ducks. Milady likes Moby Dick bread better than Bamian.

Sides and Appetizers: Auksh (scallion dumplings) and Kadu (pumpkin) at Bamian are of a level that you can't find anywhere else. Get the Auksh. We were running our fingers on the plate to get every last bit of the residue. I nearly rubbed it into my gums to get the last bit of goodness into me. Auksh should be known as Afghan Marching Powder from here on out. Waaayyyyy better than heroin, the previous holder of the title.

My jury is still out on where I will go in perpetuity to get kabobs. I will go to Bamian for the sides long after my kabob contest is decided.

Thank you, sir. I am hosting a lunch for ten Afghan deprived degenerates at Bamien next Tuesday. (Put up or shut up time for my opinions...and they will justly have an opinion on my characterization) I had not tried the auksh and appreciate the emphatic recommendation. I assure you: there will be much auksh and kadu to share.

By the way, I agree: Moby does have better bread and Bamien is far superior to Shamshiry for this-as is their green hot pickle relish (which I am addicted to). I still think Ravi has better chicken kebobs but overall, everything considered, Bamien, obviously, is my favorite. Thanks again for trying it.

Today I accepted Joe H's challenge and lunched at Bamian. I started with the Mantu appetizer (#4), and then had the Palau Kabob with lamb (#3 Entree) and Kadu (#5 Side).

The Mantu was awesome! Delicate patry like a home-made pasta, with a delicious, well-seasoned filling, topped with yogurt and mint as well as "meat sauce." It was delicate and flavorful and I want more!

The Kadu was incredible! Sweet pumpkin and tart yogurt. I'm already hunting for a recipe for that.

The Palau was delicious, but I had a problem with the lamb. It wasn't awful, but it was well-done (grey) and I didn't taste much marinade. I spooned the two sauces over the lamb and rice--was I supposed to dip? I loved the meat sauce, and while I thought the other sauce was OK, I am no fan of cilantro, and it was heavy with that.

I can't wait to go back and try the chicken kebab!

Oh, the restaurant is beautiful and elegant: white tablecloths, well-lighted room, lots of space between tables. I loved the room!

Service was great.

Thank you, sir. I am hosting a lunch for ten Afghan deprived degenerates at Bamien next Tuesday. (Put up or shut up time for my opinions...and they will justly have an opinion on my characterization) I had not tried the auksh and appreciate the emphatic recommendation. I assure you: there will be much auksh and kadu to share.

By the way, I agree: Moby does have better bread and Bamien is far superior to Shamshiry for this-as is their green hot pickle relish (which I am addicted to). I still think Ravi has better chicken kebobs but overall, everything considered, Bamien, obviously, is my favorite. Thanks again for trying it.

Well...How was it?

Well...How was it?

A big thank you! to JoeH for gathering us all together. With so many choices and so many around the table we put ourselves in the hands of the chef and requested family style servings of a representative selection of appetizers, mains and sides. We were rewarded with a sampling of the aushak, sambosa, mantu and boolawnee for starters. All were very good, but without doubt the aushak and mantu were best of class. They are delicate steamed crescents filled with scallion, and ground beef and scallion respectively. I’ve had similar at Helmand in Baltimore and these were every bit as well prepared and presented. I also enjoyed the boolawnee with looked like a very large three-sided star and reminded some of us of a good potato knish. These were all accompanied by an excellent green sauce and maust (a rich homemade yogurt), with frequent refills.

For mains we were presented with “mixed grill” platters of grilled lamb chops (chopan kabob?), kabob murgh (chicken), kabob shami (spiced ground beef) and lamb kabobs. With those came platters of jasmine rice (palau) and qaubili palau (seasoned rice with dark raisins and julienned carrots) and a “meat sauce” to top the rice. I enjoyed the rice and simple but sublime meat sauce and the grilled lamb chops above the kabobs, and while I have little experience from which to compare the kabobs, I like the ones at Afghan Kabob in Baltimore much better (being very large tender pieces, served medium to medium rare and heavily perfumed with spices at the latter.) In addition, there was wonderful Afghan bread (nan) under the meat, soaking in the meat juices. Finally, we passed platters of sides: subzi (stir fry spinach), baunjan (stir fry eggplant) and kadu (sautéed pumpkin with yoghurt). Each was fantastic, and I particularly enjoyed the smoky rich eggplant.

We did not have wine, but we did order a pitcher of “dough” which is (I think) pronounced “doog” as in “Doogie Howser” and is an iced yogurt drink. I didn’t find it all that off-putting really. Not nearly as salty as the lassi at Passage to India, for instance.

Total damage with tax and tip, about $25 per.

[for the record: 82.4 miles round trip, two states, one federal district, two bridges and a strip mall. Piece of cake. :) ]

It's taken me months to get to Bamian, and I wish I had gone sooner. We've not been out for Afghan lately. When we're in the mood for Afghan food, Barb and I usually frequent the Afghan Restaurant on Route 1 in Potomac Yards. Bamian is much better.

We ordered things that we usually get at Afghan restaurant.

1. Boolawnee. Better at Bamian. More flavorful, notice the leeks more. Served with separate dishes of green sauce and yogurt. Yogurt was excellent. At Afghan restaurant, served with a mix of what I think is yogurt and the green sauce. Good, but just not up to Bamian.

2. Chicken Kebab. The meat itself is a tie, maybe better at Bamian, maybe at Afghan. Served with rice on the plate at Bamian, served on bread at Afghan. This is one area where Afghan may get the better of them; at Afghan the meat juice soaks into the bread, whereas at Bamian slices of bread are in a basket on the table. Bread itself is of similar quality.

3. Qaulibi Palau. I had this on the Bamian Platter. Very good. Afghan Restaurant is good, but this takes it over the edge with more complex spicing.

4. More kebabs from Bamian Platter. Again, a tie between the two. I may prefer the shami kebab at Afghan.

5. Kadu, or pumpkin. Better at Bamian. The shake of mint on top of the swirl of yogurt makes this excellent.

I'm still a fan of Afghan Restaurant in Potomac Yards. If I recall correctly, they're a little cheaper, and you get the slabs of bread that are fun to negotiate. But Bamian has them tied or beaten on flavor on everything we tried.

I made my long-overdue first visit to Bamian for lunch yesterday. As there were only 2 of us, I only sampled a tiny portion of the menu but will be back to try more. We started with the Aushak (scallion dumplings) and they were every bit as good as has been described above. The dumplings were tender and the yogurt sauce adds a nice tang to the slightly spicy meat sauce.

I was in a non-meat mood, so I went with the Vegetarian Platter, consisting of baunjan (stir-fried eggplant), subzi (stir-fried spinach), and kadu (sauteed pumpkin) along with nan. The kadu was my favorite, slightly sweet and topped with a touch of tangy yogurt sauce, although each was tasty, if a bit oily (kadu and baunjan). I did think that $10.95 was a bit steep and I certainly would have felt more like I got my money's worth had I gone with meat dish. My dining companion order the kabob shami. While I didn't taste it, the portion was two generous skewers of seasoned ground beef, served with plenty of rice. It looks like prices have gone about $1 compared to the online menu. The dining room is bright and open, but was nearly empty - just 3-4 other tables during our meal.

I will be back and look forward to trying some other things!

ETA: The service was very good - friendly and efficient and the nan (bread) was delicious as well - hot, slightly crispy outside, light on the inside.

A mixed impression of Bamian last night, after not having been there in over a year.

The enormous restaurant seemed empty, until you walked by the booths on the left, which remain some of the most intimate places in the area to dine. But don't pine away for Bamian just yet: There was a Bamian van out back, and their menu advertises Large Private Parties, Corporate Lunches and Dinners, Rehearsal Dinners, and Catering.

Not having a menu when I called, I fumbled through a carryout order, and despite the language barrier, a very patient woman and I managed to cobble together an order over the phone. When I arrived, the food wasn't quite ready, and she brought me out a cup of tea. This was a really nice touch, and one which lingers in my mind the day-after as an example of thoughtful customer service.

Although I hadn't gotten carryout from Bamian before, I've toted home many a kabob in my day, so I'm pretty aware of how they travel. Unfortunately, the meat last night was quite dry and overcooked, saved primarily by one of the lamb kabobs which survived the trip at a juicy medium. As an aside, my last two carryout orders from Ravi Kabob have been quite disappointing: a dried-out chicken karahi, and an even more dried-out lamb kabob with painfully mediocre chole.

The lamb in the Chalau Kabob ($13.95) was the highlight of the meal, and lived up to my (moderately high) expectations of Bamian. It came with white rice and Qurma, nominally a meat sauce but more like a hearty little portion of goulash-like stew.

For five dollars more, the Bamian Platter ($18.95) wasn't worth the upcharge. It had a couple smaller, more overcooked chunks of the same lamb, two dried out pieces of chicken, and a cylinder of impressive shami (seasoned ground beef). Also served with Qurma, it had about the same total amount of meat as the Chalau Kabob, but also came with some Qaubili Palau (seasoned rice) under some carrot strips and raisins.

I know the Bamian Platter sounds more complex than the Chalau Kabob, but I preferred the more straightfoward, well-cooked lamb in the Chalau. More often than not, ordering a "mixed grill" - which is essentially what the Bamian Platter is - results in disparate levels of doneness, even in upscale kitchens. This is why I rarely order Wild Boar, Three Ways, or Duo of Wagyu Beef, or Appetizer Sampler; about the only time I'll ever do multiple presentations of a meat is in a tartare or ceviche, something where the timing of cooking becomes irrelevant.

Side orders of Kadu (sauteed pumpkin, $4.50) and Maust (homemade yogurt, $3.95) added some much-needed moisture to the dishes. The very good homemade Nan ($1.95) rounded out the meal, but also tipped the total price past $50 with a small tip. Bamian isn't cheap, but if you nab one of the private booths, order one of the workable wines (Rapidan, Dr. Loosen, etc.; the beers condemn you to Grolsch), and don't go crazy trying to sample twenty different things, it's still a restaurant on the up list.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Last night Bamian was busier than I've ever seen it, with 3/4 of the tables full. We're nearing the end of Ramadan, and many were families out breaking their day's fast in a traditional way. My wife's cousin and his wife joined us last night. Scallion dumplings with lentil-yogurt sauce were quickly dispatched, as was the boolawnee, a baked pastry with potatoes and leeks in it. We were served both the green sauce and the yogurt to dip in as we needed. We forgot to get the side dishes last night (!) but the chicken kabobs were good, the mantu that Amanda got looked great, and I had the fish kabobs, just because I had never had them before. They were tasty, but slightly overcooked. I'd recommend them, and more importantly recommend this place for people who want to have Afghan food but don't want to exclude their non-meat-eating friends. They also have vegetarian versions of the aushak with lentil sauce instead of meat.

One thing I wouldn't get next time were the elephant ears dessert. They were basically three little butter cookies squished into the shape of a fan, sprinkled with ground pistachios, sugar, and cardamom. Not a lot of flavor going on. I'd much rather have the baklava.

One thing I wouldn't get next time were the elephant ears dessert. They were basically three little butter cookies squished into the shape of a fan, sprinkled with ground pistachios, sugar, and cardamom. Not a lot of flavor going on. I'd much rather have the baklava.

It's worth ordering just for the name...

Gosh-E Feel!

Sing to the tune of "Lick My Love Pump"

What do you do?

What do you do?

What do you do, do, do, do, do.

Starving, freezing, tired blob

Pick up phone and get kabob

Fifty dollars later

all set to have a feast

Setting up the table is

a cranky, hungry beast

CHORUS

And then!

And then!

And then I screamed to Faust!

Because!

Because!

Those turds forgot my Maust!

REFRAIN

What do you do?

What do you do?

What do you do, do, do, do, do.

You ...

molto allegro y con brio

Open a bottle of Burgundy

and drink it down like it was tea

You sculpt the nan

just like a tree

A topiary parody

post-2-126055975997_thumb.jpg

Well, D minor is the saddest of all keys. wink.gif

We had a wonderful vegetarian dinner tonight. The vegetarian salad with brocolli, cauliflower, red and green peppers, tomatoes, carrots, garlic and onion (served hot) was a beautiful blend in a tomatoey sauce. We added the chickpeas as a side. They were delicious and may have been in the same sauce as the vegetarian salad.

We were able to snag one of the recessed booths and had a gracious and efficient server.

One of us had a glass of red wine and with the $5 coupon, the meal came in at just over $42. Bamian is a gem, especially for those who want to eat healthy.

I recently returned to Bamian at Bailey's Crossroads, after an unintentional hiatus of over two years.

This visit was happenstance. I honed in on the venue via a goal to meet a friend within a certain geographic proximity. We wanted a couple of options in the same general area, in case our intended destination was too busy, had an unplanned closure, was filled with Baby Screech Fest 2012, or other such hassle.

The Dining Guide helped immensely, delivering laser focus for the location most likely to succeed.

Surrounding Neighborhood Scoreboard---->Tally of Italicized Restaurants as of August

South Arlington: 1

Shirlington: 1

West Alexandria: 0

Bailey's Crossroads: 6

Being Ramadan, the restaurant anticipated the small turnout for lunch. They compensated by opening only a portion of the dining room for seating. As a result, my companion and I scored a coveted alcove seat, enhancing the conversational environment.

Aushak ($5-ish), pillow-light dumplings with scallion filling and a yellow lentil meat sauce, arrived beautifully presented and quickly appreciated. Baked Boolawnee ($5-ish), once brightened with spicy pungent acidity of cilantro chatni, satisfied the starch and potato craving. We both ordered the Vegetarian Rice Platter ($12-ish), with eggplant, spinach, and pumpkin. The accompanying pulao (seasoned rice with julienned carrot and raisins) met the bill of sweet-meets-savory complement, nicely firm rice with tender-crisp vegetables. The kadu (pumpkin), even with a tangy dollop of mast (house made yogurt), edged too far into mushy sweetness for our preference, but the texture and seasoning of the other two vegetables were outstanding. Iced tea was especially brisk and fresh, with just a hint of cardamom, highly recommended.

Service quibbles arose. We were left standing in the open lobby for a long time before seating, and had to repeat our request for refills.

It still amazes me to have Afghan food in such an open, airy, space with amenities like ample parking and Ritz-aspiring bathrooms. This novelty alone is worth the experience.