Picnics

DanCole42

This week I was going to do a grilled flat iron with a side of mushroom-something. I picked up some white buttons and some pretentious-looking mushrooms that started with a "p."

Instead, I'll be grilling the flat irons for use in picnic sandwiches.

Can anyone recommend any picnic-friendly uses for my mushrooms?

Cook's Illustrated has a terrific recipe for marinated mushrooms. I skip the red pepper and shallot and use dried herbs, but only because I usually make these on a whim and don't have those around. I also like to crumble in some goat cheese at the end. Yummy.

Marinated Mushrooms

Skillet size limits the yield of this recipe; if you would like to double it, cook the mushrooms in two separate batches but marinate them together. Thyme, parsley, or basil makes a good last-minute addition--use only one, however, not all three. Makes about 3 1/2 Cups of marinade.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for finishingv

1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

table salt

1 pound cremini mushroom or white buttom mushrooms, cleaned, left whole if small, halved if medium, quartered if large

2 teaspoons lemon juice from 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon for finishing

1 medium clove of garlic, sliced very thin

1 large shallot, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)

1/4 small red bell pepper, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or basil

ground black pepper

1. Heat 3 tablespoons oil, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms release moisture, moisture evaporates, and mushrooms have browned around edges, about 10 minutes. Spread mushrooms in single layer on large plate or rimmed baking sheet; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. When cooled, transfer mushrooms to medium bowl, leaving behind any juices. Stir garlic, shallot, and bell pepper into mushrooms, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 or up to 24 hours.

2. Before serving, allow mushrooms to stand at room temperature about 1 hour. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and thyme and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper just before serving.