Kalua Pork / Kalua Pig

dcalt

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for about a year, but I just signed up yesterday.

A few years ago, some friends and I were at a Hawaiian-themed party where kalua pork was served. It was phenomenal. According to the hosts, they bought it from someone around Route 1 in Laurel or Beltsville.

Now, fast forward to today, and we are trying to find the pork for another party. We have driven around Route 1 and have not been able to find any place that seems to fit the bill. If you are familiar with this place, or know of anywhere else in the DC area where I could buy already prepared kalua pork, can you please let me now?

Thanks so much!

Amy

Make your own. This is the oven recipe my neighbor in Hawaii taught me for when you just don't have easy access to an imu.

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

Season a bone-in pork butt with salt and pepper. Sprinkle generously with liquid smoke (yeah, I know). Wrap in ti leaf (you can sub a banana leaf from an Asian grocery or large leaf spinach). Double wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil. Place in heavy roasting pan and place enough water to cover bottom of pan with 1/2 inch of water. Roast for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Add water as needed to keep bottom of pan moist. Turn off oven and let pig sit for 1 hour. When cool enough to handle but still warm, discard foil and ti leaf and shred meat with two forks. Finish by adjusting seasoning with salt, shoyu, and/or liquid smoke.

Be sure to mail order some poi or this poi to turn your party into a luau. My guests have enjoyed the experience, if not the actual poi. Poi bread, however, is fabulous.

I've used the same basic recipe as laniloa and ScotteeM for years and it works great. Just for fun, though, you can also buy kalua pig and pretty much anything else you need for a luau online from Zippy's. I discovered their online store in a moment of deep homesickness and it absolutely made my day. Now if I could just get a ZipPac from them...

Fertile Plains Custom Pork near Shepherdstown, WV can do everything you need for a whole roast pig (including delivering the cooker and the pig), though I don't know if their service area stretches to where you are. Their number is (304) 267-7755. I talked to some people last week that said they did a great job for their pig roast--they wanted it Filipino-style (one of the people I was talking to was Filipina and says whole roasted pig is a big thing for her family) and they were thrilled with the product. I've tasted hams from Fertile Plains and they are terrific. Give them a call, if they can't deliver to your area they may have ideas for who can do it closer to the city.

I was at Hemp's Meats in Jefferson, MD yesterday, and they also sell whole pigs and rent smokers. They need a few weeks' notice to get you a pig. They're a little closer to the city (Jefferson is about 10mi from Frederick) than Fertile Plains.

There are some benefits to living on the rural edge of suburbia, being near country butchers. If you go to Hemp's, check out the old-fashioned Jefferson Pastry Shop right next door.

Just for fun, though, you can also buy kalua pig and pretty much anything else you need for a luau online from Zippy's. I discovered their online store in a moment of deep homesickness and it absolutely made my day.
I was browsing through leleboo's updated shopping index and found out that Zippy's closed, but you can still find products on Hawaiian Food Online if you get a little homesick...