Il Radicchio, Spaghetteria on Clarendon Blvd & Rhodes Street in Courthouse

Il Radicchio. Tell me about that place. It's been there and I'm wondering what it's doing.

Radicchio was a local chain of places that once were associated with Roberto Donna in some way. There was one on Capitol Hill where Sonoma now is, and there was also one on 17th where Komi is now located. The one on the Hill started off being a fairly good neighborhood place with decent food and service, but in its last year or two became simply awful in just about every way. I was less familiar with the one on 17th, but my last memory of it is not a pleasant one.

I've never tried the Arlington version, but I've heard it's even worse than the DC locations were, so I would give it a wide berth.

I think the fact that Radicchio in DC was replaced with Sonoma and Komi is emblematic of the transformation in taste and standards that the restaurant scene here has undergone in recent years.

We were just at Il Radicchio a few weeks ago. Our meal wasn't bad, and we had no problems with service. For those unfamiliar, they have all you can eat spaghetti with a variety of sauces that you order separately, which is fun if you can't decide on which sauce you want or like multiple sauces to taste (and like spaghetti). If, like my husband, you're fine with just one sauce then you might consider ordering something else (they have a few other pasta dishes, pizza, and meat dishes though I don't know if they're good).

The spaghetti noodles themselves are nothing special and seemed similar to the spaghetti you boil up at home. The spaghetti comes in a large bowl for the table to share with some residual water at the bottom of the bowl which can interfere with the sauce adhering to the spaghetti. So you end up with more of a sauce plus spaghetti dish rather than a dish where the sauce and spaghetti become one. Hence if you just want one sauce, you might want to order something else unless you're a sauce on the side kind of person. smile.gif I ordered 2 sauces: 1) a gravy boat of carbonara with pancetta which was super creamy, rich, and so bad for you, with chewy bits of pancetta, and 2) a bowl of marinara with clams in the shell. I really liked the carbonara, and I liked being able to switch back and forth with the tomato sauce to cut the richness. The execution though is a little messy. You pile some spaghetti on your plate, add the sauce, and eat. If you have multiple sauces you have a mess on your plate. Asking for more plates might help, I had kind of a pink sauce towards the end.

Not the best place in the world, but I think it serves its purpose. We just call it the spaghetti hut. If you are in the mood for spaghetti and a choice of sauces, some chianti, and a cozy place with a friendly staff on a winter night, then Radicchio will do the trick. We have only ventured off the spaghetti page once or twice, for the chicken parm and/or some other type of pasta, and I remember it being mildly average. Nothing to write home, or here, about, but adequate for a spontaneous meal.

Not particularly memorable... the oddity I remember was ordering a pizza with clams.... and the clams came on the pizza with the shells! ok in a pinch, but not worth traveling for. Even if you're in the area, you've really got to be in the mood for it. When I used to hang out in that neighborhood more (pre-RTS), I preferred going to Guajillo and Rhodeside Grill, for that price point.

When we lived in Courthouse (we moved last year), we went to Il Radicchio fairly regularly. The pasta isn't too exciting so ignore it. The lasagna and the chicken parmesan are the dishes I recommend. We tried the roasted chicken our first night there and it was good but the lasagna is what stole the show. Its a little bit salty but there's something about the balance of it that I love. Unfortunately there have been a couple of times that the sauce was off but we'd give it another try and everything was back to normal.

It's one of those places you go to just relax. We always get a house wine, not because its great but there's just something nice about sitting on the patio with a glass of red and looking at the over priced town houses across the street.

When we lived in Courthouse (we moved last year), we went to Il Radicchio fairly regularly. The pasta isn't too exciting so ignore it. The lasagna and the chicken parmesan are the dishes I recommend. We tried the roasted chicken our first night there and it was good but the lasagna is what stole the show. Its a little bit salty but there's something about the balance of it that I love. Unfortunately there have been a couple of times that the sauce was off but we'd give it another try and everything was back to normal.

It's one of those places you go to just relax. We always get a house wine, not because its great but there's just something nice about sitting on the patio with a glass of red and looking at the over priced town houses across the street.

That's exactly how I felt about the lasagna (and the place in general) when Radicchio on Capitol Hill was still putting on a good show. But eventually the service grew so poor that the lasagna seemed only like a decent skit after a long night of bad vaudeville.

That's exactly how I felt about the lasagna (and the place in general) when Radicchio on Capitol Hill was still putting on a good show. But eventually the service grew so poor that the lasagna seemed only like a decent skit after a long night of bad vaudeville.
There was one very good waiter at the Capitol Hill location and the lasagna truly was amazing. And then it went down hill rapidly. Does the Arlington branch have the lasagna? Mr. BLB still mentions how much he misses it whenever we drive or walk past.

The lasagna is still there and it's still pretty good; I also like the calzone, though you don't get to choose your filling to the extent you can customize the pizza, which is odd. I wasn't around for the other incarnations of this place, but I can say that the courthouse location's chief contribution to the area is their pumping that great garlic and baking bread smell into the air for blocks around it.

Il Radicchio is the place I take my family to when I can't convice them to try something more adventurous. That doesn't mean that the food is bad; it's really quite good. It's just that you end up damning a place with faint praise when you have to put your foot down and say, "No, I don't want to go to the olive garden. Let's go to Il Radicchio, you'll like it."

Ended up here last night and have second that the pizza is good. I had a pizza with peppidew and sun-dried tomatos, among other toppings, which was nice. The +1 had the basil, tomato, mozzarella pizza, which was amazing! Fresh ingredients and the crust was done just right. We will have to add this to our takeout pizza list in the future!

Il Radicchio is my favorite pizza place, plus the lasgna and roasted chicken is very good. I believe that the Arlington restaurant was the first (and last of the three) of Robert Donna's attempt at neighborhood restaurants. Last time I was there, however, it appeared that there might be new owners, which may not bode well.

Il Raddichio's current menu from their website:

post-2-0-62048400-1446472685_thumb.pngpost-2-0-14546500-1446472709_thumb.pngpost-2-0-55980800-1446472829_thumb.png

(It should be noted that this "current menu" has OCT-2014 in the name, so it's either a typo or a year old.)

Does anyone remember when Roberto Donna opened this spaghetteria as an all-you-can-eat restaurant in 1993 (with a second one opened in 1994)? You'd choose a bowl of sauce, and get all the pasta you wanted with it. It was a good restaurant, and it was even pretty good for a long time after he left the business; I haven't been in probably ten years now - somehow, this place has lasted twenty-two years.

• Like 2

Il Raddichio's current menu from their website:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-11-02 at 09.00.33.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-11-02 at 09.00.43.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-11-02 at 09.15.46.png

(It should be noted that this "current menu" has OCT-2014 in the name, so it's either a typo or a year old.)

Does anyone remember when Roberto Donna opened this spaghetteria as an all-you-can-eat restaurant in 1993 (with a second one opened in 1994)? You'd choose a bowl of sauce, and get all the pasta you wanted with it. It was a good restaurant, and it was even pretty good for a long time after he left the business; I haven't been in probably ten years now - somehow, this place has lasted twenty-two years.

I've been there within the last 10 years.   My gut is that 2014 menu isn't really different from dishes they served a few years before the menu date.  They still have the pasta "deal" per the menu, though I didn't read if its "all you can eat" as per the opening years.   Its sort of design your own.  I recall it as unremarkable from a few years ago but I'd return.  My dining companion enjoyed the wines.

...I haven't been in probably ten years now - somehow, this place has lasted twenty-two years.

We lived up the street from this place for four years and enjoy Italian food.  I can't put my finger on why we never went - must have passed by the place literally thousands of times, but talked to some other friends in the neighborhood and we weren't alone in that.  Must not appeal to the current Rosslyn/Courthouse crowd (which ironically, probably means its a pretty good place to eat)

• Like 1

We lived up the street from this place for four years and enjoy Italian food.  I can't put my finger on why we never went - must have passed by the place literally thousands of times, but talked to some other friends in the neighborhood and we weren't alone in that.  Must not appeal to the current Rosslyn/Courthouse crowd (which ironically, probably means its a pretty good place to eat)

I too have passed by it at least hundreds of times and eaten there maybe 2 or 3 times over 10  -15 years.  For the times I went it was neither bad nor great, but not immeasurably different from dozens of other places in the extended area.  Maybe it just doesn't look inviting.   I can't put my finger on it either.

They still have the pasta "deal" per the menu, though I didn't read if its "all you can eat" as per the opening years.  

It is - the print is small, but it says 'all you can eat on the premises.' I remember enjoying my last meal here, but it has been *so long* that my opinion would mean nothing at this point - I don't even know if it's the same ownership.

22 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Once again I am amazed and astounded that Il Radicchio is still around. Anyone been lately? They still have AYCE pasta. Note that the menu pdf on their website is dated sept 2016.

Whoever runs it must own the building - this is the type of place that seems like it would have been bought out ten-years ago.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Whoever runs it must own the building - this is the type of place that seems like it would have been bought out ten-years ago.

FWIW, whoever owns it now is making some effort to be community-friendly. http://www.walkarlington.com/rosslyn-walking-food-tour-recap/

Bought by this guy in 2004. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63708-2004Jul20.html. Can't tell if he still owns it or not.

And look what still turns up on google! https://www.starchefs.com/RDonna/html/ilradicchio.shtml

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This building and Rhodeside Grill next door are both owned by the National Science Teachers Association which owns and occupies the office building next door.  Old stories suggest both restaurants would be demolished and the association building would be expanded at some point in the future. 

1 hour ago, stupidusername said:

This building and Rhodeside Grill next door are both owned by the National Science Teachers Association which owns and occupies the office building next door.  Old stories suggest both restaurants would be demolished and the association building would be expanded at some point in the future. 

Some property ownership info  describing the NSTA as the landlord.  Sometimes groups like this are lenient landlords

• Like 1

On 11/2/2015 at 9:40 AM, Bob Wells said:

Wow -- still around! Il Raddichio was my pre-Yom Kippur fast choice for a few years back in the day.

Your posts about this place have pushed me to stop by....as it has been ages since I've been.    Strange, I was up in North Jersey where Italian American reigns supreme.  While with folks I adore we dined at an Italian restaurant (not Italian American) with great ratings. 

Pffft.   Just so unimpressed.   Two apps were forgettable.  The meatball app was good....but I've had better here.   The pasta was sooooo  "not so good".  

The company was great.  It was a BYOB place and the wine selections from a nearby shop were spot on.

.....and Il Raddichio is so less expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

So Dave, was it good? What did you have?  Inquiring minds want to know more.

I’m sorry.  The statement inferred “intent”. Haven’t been there yet.  I used to eat there long ago and kept returning.   Their menu defines my comfort food.   I expect to provide a report shortly.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:57 AM, ktmoomau said:

So Dave, was it good? What did you have?  Inquiring minds want to know more.

4.5 months later and I finally made it over there.   I've been "trying" but it took a while and last night I did it spur of the moment as a single diner after working a little late.  It was pretty full.  I think most diners had made a reservation  (that is a good sign for a Wednesday evening for that type of place.)

I'll give it an "okay" but that is based on my strong predisposition toward Italian food and restaurants.  It's probably fine as a neighborhood dining choice.  Although dish by dish most everything received a "meh".  Not that I had a lot.  The bread is not warm, and is mediocre...but its okay to munch on pre main meal.  They should add butter and provide it warm. 

They have a veal piccata dish.  That is a favorite of mine, but at $23 I should have known better.   There are different cuts of veal and the less expensive cuts leave much to be desired IMHO.  So this dish was a mediocre version of one of my favorites.  I'd go with other dishes from now on.  I did enjoy a house cabernet sauvignon, but I'm not a wine expert and I've had better.

If I lived nearby I'd dine and take out from there.   I wouldn't travel long distances for this particular restaurant.

• Like 2