Cafe 2941, in the 2941 Building, Falls Church - Closed

[posted on eGullet 2003-2004]

The bread situation around Route 50 and the Beltway in Fairfax County is dismal. You have Marvelous Market deep in downtown McLean, or maybe Firehook loaves at Arrowine in Arlington, but other than that, what? Whole Foods? Yuck. Trader Joe's? No. If there are good options around that area, then it will be news to me.

Café 2941 looks like a typical office-building lunch place, up on the second floor of the same building where 2941 restaurant can be found. I stopped in there for lunch last Friday (nothing extraordinary), and noticed that people were walking away with baguettes.

I contacted Jonathan Krinn and asked him if this was the same bread that is found in 2941 restaurant, and he confirmed that it is, and that his father Mal Krinn still kneads the dough daily. When I asked Jonathan if it was possible to purchase baguettes to-go on a reliable basis, he said that people "can certainly call me to order bread or take their chances on the supply at the café."

The Café is a pain (no pun intended) to get to - you'll need to park in the garage and take the ramp over into the office building - but this information is still worth filing into your noodle for future reference.

Cheers,

Rocks.

[posted on eGullet 2003-2004]

I was feeling pretty chipper yesterday after being handed a warm-from-the-oven baguette at Café 2941. This is great bread, and the very good panini they serve are on homemade ciabatta (I reiterate that this is not a lunch destination unless you're going to buy a baguette).

Cheers,

Rocks.

The bread at 2941 isn't as good since Mal Krinn left (it just isn't), but it's still better than you'll find most anywhere else in the area.

I had a Roast Beef Sandwich ($6.25) on a baguette at Cafe 2941 today, which remains essentially the same as it was three years ago.

They still sell 2941's breads, and now have their own website here.

Cheers.

Rocks.

The bread at 2941 isn't as good since Mal Krinn left (it just isn't), but it's still better than you'll find most anywhere else in the area.

They still sell 2941's breads

This statement is pretty true still, almost 10 months later. The resident, artisan baker is now Patrick Deiss, and all the breads are still done in-house, including morning croissants and muffins sold in the Cafe (but not the cookies & brownies). It is being sold and branded under Wicked Bread, with the hopes of providing bread to other restaurants, but it appears some kinks are still being sorted out. A side order of baguette only sets you back $0.75, and while it is a pretty good baguette, the textual memory sensors seem to recall that it pales a bit compared to Mal Krinn's. However, Chef Patrick did say that he brought his sourdough starter straight from San Francisco, so I believe that should be the bread of choice to try.

I failed to ask the prices of the various loaves offered for sale, though. Chef Patrick did say to keep an eye out for a WaPo article featuring a seasonal beer bread he made - Pumpkin beer bread from Dogfish Pumpkin ale. This would also be a great loaf to purchase and try.

I wish the Cafe was run a bit better, as it is just a little sad walking in there. You once were able to get really good espresso, but now you can only get a cup of caffeinated or decaf coffee -- the lovely machine is just sitting there, gathering dust. There used to be a panini press and you could get made-to-order sandwiches; now you get the standard grab-to-go wrapped in saran wrap with a mere label slapped on it.

There is now a self-serve salad bar that you pay by the pound, but I fear that this place is slowly morphing into another SoHo or Cafe Philips or Lawson's, which it shouldn't with a strong cooking team behind it. I just hope this will revitalize a bit, as it is the only solid offering for many close by. Maybe that is the reason why there is no drive or incentive....

This statement is pretty true still, almost 10 months later. The resident, artisan baker is now Patrick Deiss, and all the breads are still done in-house, including morning croissants and muffins sold in the Cafe (but not the cookies & brownies). It is being sold and branded under Wicked Bread, with the hopes of providing bread to other restaurants, but it appears some kinks are still being sorted out. A side order of baguette only sets you back $0.75, and while it is a pretty good baguette, the textual memory sensors seem to recall that it pales a bit compared to Mal Krinn's. However, Chef Patrick did say that he brought his sourdough starter straight from San Francisco, so I believe that should be the bread of choice to try.

I failed to ask the prices of the various loaves offered for sale, though. Chef Patrick did say to keep an eye out for a WaPo article featuring a seasonal beer bread he made - Pumpkin beer bread from Dogfish Pumpkin ale. This would also be a great loaf to purchase and try.

I wish the Cafe was run a bit better, as it is just a little sad walking in there. You once were able to get really good espresso, but now you can only get a cup of caffeinated or decaf coffee -- the lovely machine is just sitting there, gathering dust. There used to be a panini press and you could get made-to-order sandwiches; now you get the standard grab-to-go wrapped in saran wrap with a mere label slapped on it.

There is now a self-serve salad bar that you pay by the pound, but I fear that this place is slowly morphing into another SoHo or Cafe Philips or Lawson's, which it shouldn't with a strong cooking team behind it. I just hope this will revitalize a bit, as it is the only solid offering for many close by. Maybe that is the reason why there is no drive or incentive....

Why didn't you say hello? wink.gif

No, it's closed.

Cafe 2941 wasn't much more, architecturally, than an office-building sandwich shop (that sold great baguettes when Mal Krinn was there, and served as a holding tank for Edan Macquaid when Orso was waiting to open). Are you sure it's closed? As in ... closed closed? Or is it just an anonymous office cafe that's not called Cafe 2941 anymore? It seems like the office workers there would still need a place to grab a sandwich and chips.

---

ETA Yes, it's closed. It's now housing Root & Stem Catering which is co-owned by our own Zac Culbertson (formerly of Cowboy Cafe) - a place to remain aware of. I only know Zac through the internet, but man, what a nice person he seems to be.