Calabash of Alexandria, 7305 Richmond Highway

Hmmm. I was just in Calabash 2 weeks ago visiting my in-laws and I'll be honest - to me, more than 1/2 of the experience was eating that big pile-o'fried was the location. We picked the most divey restaurant to eat at (Coleman's - Calabash's first fried fish house) and drank cheap beer. The shrimp, scallops, and oysters were really good, the fish a tad dry. Hushpuppies were great and greasy.

The "atmosphere" such as it was included surly service including a very pregnant waitress who had a beer and cigarette waiting for her at her break station, and a view of the docked shrimp boats.

I don't think this experience will translate real well to Old Town.

A fisherman's platter is a fisherman's platter.

I believe this is going to be in the Fairfax County section of Alexandria, south on Rt. 1 past Beacon Mall. Its an existing restaurant space where some ofther kind of buffet used to be, I think. If I drive by there later today I'll check it out.

Not that space in Hybla Valley? Captain White's or something similar? The place on the left as you're going south? If Calabash (as referenced above - divey) is going there, it's found it's niche in Alexandria...no Old Towne sensibilities in that area to abuse.

Calabash=Fried Fish.

I assume you're not using the dictionary meaning of calabash which is a gourd or type of squash. Now if you mean Calabash is a place and that it serves fried fish, okay...(you could even mean a pipe or the town in North Carolina but I have my doubts about these two).

I assume you're not using the dictionary meaning of calabash which is a gourd or type of squash. Now if you mean Calabash is a place and that it serves fried fish, okay...(you could even mean a pipe or the town in North Carolina but I have my doubts about these two).

"Calabash" is a style of cooking found around the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina which includes the hamlet of Calabash, North Carolina from which the cooking style takes its name.

"Calabash" is a style of cooking found around the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina which includes the hamlet of Calabash, North Carolina from which the cooking style takes its name.

You know, I thought about that about 5 minutes after I sent the message as I was sitting in traffic. Should be interesting to see if it comes close. (Not too sure about the Hybla Valley area though if that's where it's going)

Not that space in Hybla Valley? Captain White's or something similar? The place on the left as you're going south? If Calabash (as referenced above - divey) is going there, it's found it's niche in Alexandria...no Old Towne sensibilities in that area to abuse.

Yes the Hybla Valley, Captain whoever's space. My expectations are incredibly low.

God forbid some competition

I was being facetitious. There is no way that a "calabash" joint in Hybla Valley could ever compete with an authentic Irish fish and chips place in Old Town run by Cathal Armstrong. The very fact that this new place is "calabash" style says it all. Cod knows where they will source their seafood from. Someone upthread called calabash a "big pile o'fried" or something.

Someone upthread called calabash a "big pile o'fried" or something.

There are times when a "big pile o'fried" is the most soul-satisfying thing in the world...Even gastro-gnomes eat something other than foie gras and pate now and then...(besides, there's nothing better than an unadorned, carefully fried oyster with a bit of home made cocktail sauce)

My parents live in Calabash, NC and having tried several of the Calabash fish fry shacks they are nothing to write home about...in fact they are pretty awful...like most of the touristy food to be found in the Greater Myrtle Beach area...now Granny Allyn's -- a small breakfast and lunch joint in Calabash -- that is a place to be praised, 6 types of sausage on the menu!

Unfortunately in Calabash Escoffier, none of these places make anything remotely like an unadorned, carefully fried oyster with a bit of home made cocktail sauce...this is deep fried for the masses, during the summer there are 3 hour waits at the waterfront restaurants in Calabash.

none of these places make anything remotely like an unadorned, carefully fried oyster with a bit of home made cocktail sauce...this is deep fried for the masses, during the summer there are 3 hour waits at the waterfront restaurants in Calabash.

but they must be doing something right or there wouldn't be that 3 hour wait (even tourists are known to complain now and then). Even lowest common denominator appeals to someone :) . For example, I was in Taipei for a period of time. I had to go to Hong Kong. In HK there are a lot of McD's...you'd be surprised how good a Egg McM. tastes when you want something that is familiar (not to say that Calabash is the equivalent of McD, I wouldn't wish that on anyone).

and here's a scary thought...suppose Calabash turns out to be better than Indigo Landing? Low country comes to below country...(or county). I really share the thought of Free Wilma however, in the area they're going into, I don't expect gourmet...just low-pay.

but they must be doing something right or there wouldn't be that 3 hour wait (even tourists are known to complain now and then). Even lowest common denominator appeals to someone :) . For example, I was in Taipei for a period of time. I had to go to Hong Kong. In HK there are a lot of McD's...you'd be surprised how good a Egg McM. tastes when you want something that is familiar (not to say that Calabash is the equivalent of McD, I wouldn't wish that on anyone).

and here's a scary thought...suppose Calabash turns out to be better than Indigo Landing? Low country comes to below country...(or county). I really share the thought of Free Wilma however, in the area they're going into, I don't expect gourmet...just low-pay.

In comparison to the multi-hour wait at everyone's favorite, The Cheesecake Factory, right? I think he was saying that it would probably not be worth going out of your way to eat there.

In comparison to the multi-hour wait at everyone's favorite, The Cheesecake Factory, right? I think he was saying that it would probably not be worth going out of your way to eat there.

Cheesh, now I have to cancel my reservations for tonight at the CF...and I was so looking forward to that 3 acre salad. I agree, but some days for lunch you want mindless food (especially if you work for Uncle). If it's close and the prices are reasonable and there are no dead bodies apparent, it fills the appropriate checkbox for "LUNCH?" yep, we had it. If it is even a .001% improvement over fast food, it will be welcomed out here in the vast noon time wasteland. (That's the best I can hope for). Burger Whatever (yeah, we got that), Ronnie's? (yeah, that's here too), the colonel? (he's on leave, I think), good food? (umm, that's a bit more difficult to find)

Sorry, but I have to reiterate that cat food is far superior to anything churned out from Indigo Landing, so that bar isn't raised very high. :)

Even with the bar that low, this place probably won't clear it. The mere thought of any place in the Myrtle Beach area with the word "Calabash" in the name makes me ill.