Kasha's Kitchen, Lunch Counter in Falls Church - Closed

For many years, Kasha's Kitchen has been one of my go-to lunch places when I find myself in Falls Church. This is a tiny counter in the back of Kennedy's Natural Foods (right next door to zPizza, in a small shopping center next to the W&OD bridge), with about five tables scattered around. Every day there are specials - last week there was an Organic Beef Stew Platter - and three soups to choose from, most recently cabbage-vegetable, carrot-lemon-curry, and barley-mushroom-chicken. All the soups are homemade, hearty, and a good accompaniment to the fine sandwiches offered such as lemon-pepper chicken salad, roasted veggie pita, baked salmon, and my favorite, the Tofu Delight. The food carries out very well, and you can eat a robust, healthy meal here for about ten dollars.

And most importantly, you'll be supporting a local business owner worthy of being supported. Click here to see Kasha herself (second photo down), alongside her daughter and son who also work in the store - they may be the ones making your sandwiches.

Cheers,

Rocks

And most importantly, you'll be supporting a local business owner worthy of being supported. Click here to see Kasha herself (second photo down), alongside her daughter and son who also work in the store - they may be the ones making your sandwiches.

Cheers,

Rocks

I'll definately have to check that out.......also, Kasha bears a striking resemblance to Edie Falco...

After the one-two punch of our Wagyu tasting at Vidalia, and a pepperoni, sausage, and ultra-hot chili pepper pizza later that night at Sette Osteria, my last three meals have been vegetarian. I love finding myself in the Falls Church area during lunchtime, because that means I can stop at Kasha's Kitchen.

Yesterday it was a Power Veggie, today it was a Tofu Delight on toasted multigrain (both $6.59, $1.00 extra for the obligatory avocado on the Tofu Delight), both scarfed down happily with some lightly salted Kettle chips.

I love this place, and wish more people here would try it. When you're driving down Route 7, your landmark is the W&OD-trail overpass - Kasha's Kitchen is in the little shopping center there, right next door to zpizza. The sign from the street actually says "Kennedy's Natural Foods."

Cheers,

Rocks.

I happened upon this place while visiting the party store next door. I didn't stop in that day but I mentioned it to my hubby (Pete) and he said Don wrote about it here. So finally, many months later, I finally stopped in for lunch today. I got a turkey pastrami sandwich. I love the toppings they have - sprouts, carrots, cucumbers, such a nice change from the usual lettuce, tomato, onion (which they also have). Although I took my lunch to go I had some time to look around while it was being made. I noticed all their different flours and grains and all sorts of organic mixes - bread, brownies, etc. It's a great store. I read some other reviews and they mentioned homemade cookies. I'm upset I missed the cookies. I'll definitely have to go back. The sandwich was great and fresh...like homemade. It looks like they do a decent lunch business. I almost got the power veggie but wasn't sure I was in the mood for just veggies today. Next time I will try it.

How ironic that just before seeing Food, Inc., I ordered a hamburger from Harry's, and now, the day after, I just finished a Tofu Delight ($6.89) from Kasha's Kitchen. I will continue to lovingly tout this little lunch counter as a wonderful, family-run operation which pays proper respect to the origins of the ingredients used in its cooking.

Cheers,

Rocks.

How ironic that just before seeing Food, Inc., I ordered a hamburger from Harry's, and now, the day after, I just finished a Tofu Delight ($6.89) from Kasha's Kitchen. I will continue to lovingly tout this little lunch counter as a wonderful, family-run operation which pays proper respect to the origins of the ingredients used in its cooking.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Looking for something relatively healthy (and where we could buy a piñata nearby), we stopped in for an early lunch and were quite impressed. We shared a roasted vegetable pita and a turkey sandwich, and both were fresh and well-balanced, a notch up from your typical sandwich place.

We had previously been hesitant to give the place a try since we have difficulty taking the toddler to places that really jet have counter service, but we were pleasantly surprised to see that it is more of a restaraunt than a grocery store. Very kid friendly, with a high chair and bears in buckets for kids to play with prior to receiving their meals (to avoid disaster, we removed ours prior to getting the food.). All in all a great experience that we are sure to repeat - thanks for the tip!

I hope to make it to Kasha's Kitchen for lunch today. I see recommendations for sandwiches called the Tofu Delight and the Veggie Delight. Any other recommendations? (not totally sure why I'm asking since I will probably just have a difficult time deciding between the "Delight" sandwiches.)

I hope to make it to Kasha's Kitchen for lunch today. I see recommendations for sandwiches called the Tofu Delight and the Veggie Delight. Any other recommendations? (not totally sure why I'm asking since I will probably just have a difficult time deciding between the "Delight" sandwiches.)

Get the Tofu Delight, on multi-grain bread, with everything on it (you can nix the red onions if you must). Also a bag of the Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips (next to the counter) which compliments that particular sandwich perfectly. For a drink, try one of the two Coco Waters they have in the cooler. There's your lunch. :rolleyes:

In general, I avoid the coldcuts here because they're run-of-the-mill Boar's Head brand, although I tried a Roast Beef with cheese the other week and liked it. The soups are homemade and good, but sometimes need salt. The daily specials are worth exploring, but only after you've tried the Tofu Delight.

P.S. I made a mistake in my first post - it's called the "Power Veggie," not the "Veggie Delight." (It's essentially the same thing as the Tofu Delight, minus the tofu - but the tofu here is warm and good!)

Get the Tofu Delight, on multi-grain bread, with everything on it (you can nix the red onions if you must). Also a bag of the Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips (next to the counter) which compliments that particular sandwich perfectly. For a drink, try one of the two Coco Waters they have in the cooler. There's your lunch. :rolleyes:

In general, I avoid the coldcuts here because they're run-of-the-mill Boar's Head brand, although I tried a Roast Beef with cheese the other week and liked it. The soups are homemade and good, but sometimes need salt. The daily specials are worth exploring, but only after you've tried the Tofu Delight.

P.S. I made a mistake in my first post - it's called the "Power Veggie," not the "Veggie Delight." (It's essentially the same thing as the Tofu Delight, minus the tofu - but the tofu here is warm and good!)

thanks for the recommendation. the sandwich was GREAT. I'm usually indifferent to tofu but this was very tasty-nice, warm, and garlicky. There were enough veggies to make me feel virtuous enough not to obsess over all the potato chips I was wolfing down with the sandwich.

BTW, the place was hopping. Most of the tables were taken and they were doing a brisk carryout business as well.

I decided to check out Kasha's today in an attempt to eat healthy (curse Halloween candy!). I got a small lentil soup and the fajita chicken pita. The soup had a very flavorful veggie broth and was packed with lentils. I could have used a little more broth with my lentils but it was still enjoyable. The sandwich was good although it fell apart due to the garlic mayo they put on it and maybe the travel back to the office. There is something about their mayo that is sooooo good even though it was strange to find it on this sandwich.

I realized rereading Don’s posts that I still haven’t tried the Tofu Delight. Next time…

Kasha's kitchen has new owners. this was news to me, at least. It was sold about 2 months ago. the new owners say they are keeping the same recipes. I tried the tofu sandwich, and it was still great. It looks like the new owners are making some small changes to the place but overall the food at the counter looks the same. Some differences: they seem to offer fewer soups each day and they are now open on Sunday.