Smoking

plunk

Can anybody recommend these for the novice smoker? Are they a good way to teach myself the technique? How is the quality of the finished product? I live in a townhouse with a rather small outdoor space, so the size of these guys is appealing to me.

I have been using a bullet water smoker (with a electric heating element) for several years. I forget the model name, but it was a $4 dollar garage sale special. I have smoked chicken, ribs, butts, chickens, turkeys, squash, other beef chunks with good to great success. I would suggest borrowing one and googling some websites for ideas and technigues.

Scott

Can anybody recommend these for the novice smoker? Are they a good way to teach myself the technique? How is the quality of the finished product? I live in a townhouse with a rather small outdoor space, so the size of these guys is appealing to me.

I've got a Weber Bullet Smoker. I got it earlier this year based on reviews I read online which made it seem pretty much foolproof. I've done chicken, ribs, and fish in it so far with varying degrees of success. My biggest challenge has been regulating the temperature accurately. Seems like more of an art rather than a science.

Having said that, I still love it and am trying to learn how to better use it. But at this point, I can't say that I'd recommend it.

Yes, it seems that the most difficult aspect of non-electric smokers is temperature control. I particularly like the "Polder in potato" method.

I nicked that idea from the same place. It works out well to display the temperature. I've use two Polders - one to measure ambient temp and one to measure meat temp.

But the problem for me is keeping enough coals going for a long period of time, while not getting the smoker too hot. I've tried the Minion Method but haven't been able to keep the coals going. As a result, I keep firing up my chimney starter with a small amount of coals and transferring the hot coals to the smoker with tongs. Not the best way to do things as I've gotten a few burn marks on my deck to show for it.

I'd really appreciate hints and tips from others that have had success with the Weber Bullet (or other charcoal smokers). I'm doing a brisket this weekend and that will require about 10-12 hrs of smoking. Also, if you've done brisket before, any recommendations on what kind of wood chunks flavour the meat best? How about mops?

I nicked that idea from the same place. It works out well to display the temperature. I've use two Polders - one to measure ambient temp and one to measure meat temp.

I do the same thing, but I use a wine cork instead of a potato. I plan on retiring on the pennies I save using something I would have thrown out anyways instead of buying a potato.

I bought a used weber bullet off of Craigslist this summer. So far, I've used it twice; once to do three racks of spareribs and once, this weekend, to do a 14# turkey. I think that the ribs took about five hours. I used the minion method and had no problem keeping the proper temp, with the vents 1/3 open, the entire time. I also used some mesquite chunks, but wouldn't do so in the future. The mesquite flavor was too overpowering.

With the turkey, I used the standard method. I think that I was a little impatient waiting for all of my coals to get hot as the temp never got above 337, even with all vents fully open. Still, the turkey meat was absolutely fantastic. The skin, however, was rubbery and inedible, due to the lower temp in the cooker. I was aiming for 350, but it never happened. I brined the bird over night in a simple salt/brown sugar mixture and used pecan wood for smoke. The flavor, and juiciness, was awesome.

xcanuck, you might try keeping all your vents open and unblocked when you pour the hot coals over the unlit ones. Also, make sure that all the coals in the starter are covered with gray ash before you transfer them to the cooker. Please let us know how your brisket turns out . . . I'm dying to cook one myself.

xcanuck, you might try keeping all your vents open and unblocked when you pour the hot coals over the unlit ones. Also, make sure that all the coals in the starter are covered with gray ash before you transfer them to the cooker. Please let us know how your brisket turns out . . . I'm dying to cook one myself.

According to Raichlen, brisket is the "Mt. Everest of bbq."

I like mesquite for brisket and prefer a dry rub and a big layer of fat.

I've never had any problem with the Minion method keeping my temp between 220 and 250. I just throw a handful of chips on every two or three hours and it keeps on humming. I normally try to keep the vents open all the way to start and then close to about 50% after the cooker gets up to temp.

So if I keep the fat layer on top, does that mean I can pass on the mop? Or is that still recommended? I can't imagine it would hurt.

Bilrus - you mentioned mesquite chips. You prefer the chips vs chunks? I've always used chunks in the smoker on the assumption that the chips would burn away to nothing in about half an hour.

Does anyone have a source for different wood chunks or logs? I would love some fruit trees and nut trees. I have some hard wood that I burn in my fireplace that I have been using. $5 bucks for a couple of OZs seem high at the store

In the next few weeks I plan on gettin' out the ol' chainsaw and taking down a mostly dead peach tree in my backyard. It should yield a decent amount of wood. I might take down an apple tree, too. I'll post about the wood when it's available.

No, I'm not joking. And Sthitch, I haven't forgotten you.

No, I'm not joking. And Sthitch, I haven't forgotten you.
I just got rid of an evil cherry tree, my wife would not permit me to keep the wood. :)

Until recently, I have found the minion method to be fool proof. When Kingsford introduced the new and "improved" version of their briquettes they ruined the minion method. The new type burn too fast, and too hot. I prefer to grill with Lump charcoal, but it does not burn evenly enough to make this method really efficient.

Does anyone have a source for different wood chunks or logs? I would love some fruit trees and nut trees. I have some hard wood that I burn in my fireplace that I have been using. $5 bucks for a couple of OZs seem high at the store

I go to BBQs Galore. You can buy from their brick and mortar locations throughout MD and VA, or you can order online at www.bbqgalore.com. They have a wide variety of fruit and nut woods, both in chunk and chips. Of course, that won't be as cost effective as porcupine's offer of peach and apple wood. I'd be very interested in getting some of that wood, too, if you don't mind. :)

Starting to get nervous about this brisket on Saturday. Compounding my lack of experience with this cut of meat is the fact that I have a hockey game that night - season championship game nonetheless. So I'll be gone during the last few critical hours of the smoking process. May the ghosts of Maurice Richard and Julia Child jointly smile down upon me.

Starting to get nervous about this brisket on Saturday. Compounding my lack of experience with this cut of meat is the fact that I have a hockey game that night - season championship game nonetheless. So I'll be gone during the last few critical hours of the smoking process. May the ghosts of Maurice Richard and Julia Child jointly smile down upon me.

Some may scream sacrilege but I've had good results with taking the meat out of the smoker and putting in a baking dish at 250 degrees for the last few hours. I smoke outside first with hardwood or lump charcoal until I'm satisfied with the smoke flavor, anywhere between 2-3 hours. For me, finishing the meat off in the oven provides the convenience of even heat that doesn't need attention and I don't feel that the flavor is terribly compromised (I did the smoker-only way for about a year prior to trying my two step process).

Some may scream sacrilege but I've had good results with taking the meat out of the smoker and putting in a baking dish at 250 degrees for the last few hours. I smoke outside first with hardwood or lump charcoal until I'm satisfied with the smoke flavor, anywhere between 2-3 hours. For me, finishing the meat off in the oven provides the convenience of even heat that doesn't need attention and I don't feel that the flavor is terribly compromised (I did the smoker-only way for about a year prior to trying my two step process).
There is some science behinid this. My understanding is that the meat stop absorbing smoke flavor after the surface temperature of the meat reaches a certain level. After that, the meat is just absorbing heat and cooking through. I don't believe it for a second. I smoke the shit out of the stuff until I deem it done.

I just got rid of an evil cherry tree, my wife would not permit me to keep the wood. :)

Is there an optimal strategy to cutting cherrywood for use in a smoker? Does the size of the wood matter? Bark or no bark? Most of the trees on my lot ARE those $#*@! wild cherries, with incredibly bad forms and a tendency to drop entire fifteen-foot 4-8" limbs from time to time, but they're still largely sapwood.

So if I keep the fat layer on top, does that mean I can pass on the mop? Or is that still recommended? I can't imagine it would hurt.

Bilrus - you mentioned mesquite chips. You prefer the chips vs chunks? I've always used chunks in the smoker on the assumption that the chips would burn away to nothing in about half an hour.

They do burn away pretty quickly so I just add more. Probably the ideal would be chips on top and a few chunks mixed in with the charcoal, but I get pretty goof smokiness without the chunks.

But the problem for me is keeping enough coals going for a long period of time, while not getting the smoker too hot. I've tried the Minion Method but haven't been able to keep the coals going.

I suspect you are doing something wrong. Please elaborate; when do the coals go out and what are your vent settings.

As a result, I keep firing up my chimney starter with a small amount of coals and transferring the hot coals to the smoker with tongs. Not the best way to do things as I've gotten a few burn marks on my deck to show for it.
Stop lighting chimneys on your deck; that's a terrible idea, just stop. Generally on long cooks hot coals need to be added so find a non flamable place for it
I like mesquite for brisket and prefer a dry rub and a big layer of fat.

I've never had any problem with the Minion method keeping my temp between 220 and 250. I just throw a handful of chips on every two or three hours and it keeps on humming. I normally try to keep the vents open all the way to start and then close to about 50% after the cooker gets up to temp.

Why would you pay a premium for chips and have to toss them on every couple hours as opposed to just tossing on a few fist sized chunks at the start?

Chips have merit on non charcoal grills but with a multi hour smoke they just get silly.

Is there an optimal strategy to cutting cherrywood for use in a smoker? Does the size of the wood matter? Bark or no bark? Most of the trees on my lot ARE those $#*@! wild cherries, with incredibly bad forms and a tendency to drop entire fifteen-foot 4-8" limbs from time to time, but they're still largely sapwood.
Some people hate the bark, others love it, I cannot really tell the difference between it being on or off, so I just don't care. As for size, it really depends on what kind of smoker you are going to use. If it is going to get stuck into charcoal you should cut it into chunks that are about two inches on each side. If you are going to use it as the fuel, keep them larger.
Why would you pay a premium for chips and have to toss them on every couple hours as opposed to just tossing on a few fist sized chunks at the start?

Chips have merit on non charcoal grills but with a multi hour smoke they just get silly.

I agree on both counts. I like to stick some of the wood into the charcoal so that they will slowly smoke as the coals ignite the layers below them. I do not bury them too deep because at a certain point the meat is going to reach its maximum smokiness, and the rest of the smoke will just cause bitterness on the crust. For ribs I limit the smoke to the first two hours, and for shoulder I give it about four.

This is a good resource for novice Bullet smokers. You'd have to be an idiot to screw up while following his basic method.*

* (I know this because I, in fact, managed to. In the course of replacing the lid, I managed to dislodge the upper cooking grate, which allowed the ribs to slump down into the greasy, viscid water pan below, where they simmered greyly for several hours. I cannot recommend this cooking method to anyone who doesn't think bong water hot dogs are a dandy idea.)

Because that's just the way I roll.

Actually, it is because I've had better success getting the smokiness level I want from the chips. I feeling is that it has to do with getting a maximum amount of smoke fairly early in the process.

This is a real tragedy. I hope you gave it to someone with a stove or fireplace. Cherry is a hardwood that burns beautifully when it is dry and gives off major btus like oak does. We put in a Jotul enameled cast iron stove a few years ago, and it provides a fair amount of our winter heat. We have never bought firewood --we scavenge from downed trees, cut and split it. A fallen or cut cherry tree is a bonanza. We got a lot of cherry after Hurricane Isabel and that's pretty much what we burned all last winter.

I gave smoking the brisket a try this weekend. Here's sorta how it went.

Fri - 6pm. Pick up brisket from SS WF. I asked for a first cut brisket with the fat left on it. I knew this would be smaller than a full brisket and it turned out to be just under 5 lbs (as opposed to 10 lbs for the whole thing). The brisket gets deposited in the fridge.

Fri - 8pm. My wife (a chem eng by education) and I discuss heat transfer. Specifically, if it takes 10-12 hours to smoke a full sized brisket, how long will it take to smoke a 5 lb brisket?? Can I extrapolate in a linear fashion? Unfortunately, this conversation took place at the bar at Ray's The Classics and in the midst of several of Nick's most excellent martinis. I am suitably hammered and no amount of pork chop is going to bring back sobriety (or my university physics knowledge). We decide to just put the damn thing on at midnight and pray the alarm on the probe thermometer wakes me up.

Fri - 10pm. We stagger home. Am far too inebriated to bother making a fancy brisket rub, so I pull out a baggie containing my homemad rib rub. Pig, beef - what's the difference? They both taste damn fine after being smoked so the rub I smother on my baby backs SHOULD taste just as good on the brisket. It all goes back in the fridge (whereupon I spy some ice cold beer. It comes out).

Fri - midnight. The smoker gets lit up according to the Minion method. I make my first (and possibly only serious) mistake of the evening. Instead of putting only 20 lit briquettes on the cold charcoal, I end up pouring and lighting about 35 briquettes. What did you expect? I had one hand pouring the coals in, and one hand holding the beer. I didn't have a third hand for a flashlight. Priorities...

Sat - 12:30am. Smoker reaches 250F and the brisket goes on. Vents at about 30% open. Crack open another beer.

Sat - 1:00am. Smoker stable at 250F. I pass on watching Tivo'd Premier League footie in favour of reruns of The Man Show.

Sat - 1:30am. Smoker stable at 250F.

Sat - 2:00am. Smoker takes off to 350F. I open the side door for a peek - looks like all the unlit coals have caught fire. I spend the next 30 minutes frantically spritzing the coals. Vents are now fully closed.

Sat - 2:30am. Coals are back down to 250F. I flip and turn the brisket.

Sat - 3:30am. Coals are still stable at 250F. I've run out of cold beer. Time for a snooze.

Sat - 5:30am. Thermometer alarm goes off. The brisket has reached 195F. I wrap it up to rest and decide to do the same myself.

Sat - 9am. I cut into the brisket. I've got a beautiful 1/4" smoke ring but a little too much fat still left on top. I should have trimmed a wee bit off. The meat isn't exactly fork-tender but still very tasty. The pork rub I put on it seems to have flavoured it quite nicely. I'm guessing that I should have let it go to maybe 210F. Also, the half hour it spent around 350F may have toughened it up. And I think we can keep the estimate of 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound, regardless of the brisket's size.

Overall, not bad for a first time. I don't think it would get me a PhD at BBQ U but a reasonable first attempt. Plenty of motivation to give it another shot in the next few weeks.

The good news is the peach tree is down and sectioned into 12"-14" lengths. The bad news is that it really was a much smaller tree than expected. I'd estimate I have three wheelbarrows full of wood - some of it as small as 1" in diameter, some as large as 12" diameter. The wood is sectioned, not split, and of course it isn't seasoned yet.

The downed apple wood was almost entirely rotten, and I fear the tree itself will yield only a little usable wood. I'll post again once I have that one down (it'll be a much larger job). Of course, anyone who helps me fell it can have as much wood as he wants.

Also, I had forgotten that I have a decent amount of cherry (1/3 cord, maybe?) still unsplit, cut into fireplace lengths, that is definitely well-seasoned. (This is the native wild black cherry, Prunus serotina.)

So, Sthitch, mdt, anyone else - send me a pm if you still want wood for your smokers and we'll make arrangements.

Smoked four racks of spares in the weber bullet for the Redskins game yesterday. Rubbed 'em with BRITU rub about 1/2 to 3/4 before they went in the bullet. Lit the coals using Minion and put in four chunks of hickory and a large handfull of pecan wood chips. The temp stayed around 180-195 for most of the smoke, measure with a probe in a cork on the top grate. Every now and then I'd open the door and stir up the coals and the temp would jump to 210-230, but go back down to 195 or so in a few minutes. Still, I took them off after five hours and they were pretty tender, if not a taaaaad bit dry, soaked in my secret cooter sauce.

must. not. give. in. to. tempting. urge...

Whew, that was a close one. I suggest the venerated pork butt.

Ahem. Inappropriate responses include:

Ganja

Split

Reefer

Bone

Hogger

Jibber

Doobie

Joint

Toledo window box

Spliff

I live on Alder Woods Court. What's alder wood good on?

Graduate to the big time and smoke a brisket. It takes a long time but it is definitely worth it. Brine it, season it, smoke it and voila!! you have home made pastrami. Or you could go all southern on it. It's all good. Just make sure you invite a lot of friends over to enjoy the results.

As for alder, I use it to cut stronger woods like hickory and mesquite. I prefer cherry and apple for salmon.

Any suggestions for fruit woods, i.e., apple and/or cherry?

I've always liked applewood for smoking. But we had a downed cherry tree in the woods next to our house which we cut up. Jonathan split some small pieces which I soaked overnight. I used it with charcoal for smoking ribs--they turned out fantastically. I watched a rerun on Food Network tonight about a rib cook-off, and one of the winning teams was using cherry.

I found hickory and mesquite at Home Depot this past weekend (just finished the last of the brisket for dinner). Any suggestions for fruit woods, i.e., apple and/or cherry?

I use a mix of apple and cherry when I smoke bacon. I'm using the little cold-smoker unit (too lazy to go find the link) that takes pellets, so I just order those online.