Full Key, Wheaton

I gotta say I am a big fan of Crisp and Juicy more then El Pollo Rico. Their chicken has great seasonings; I think the difference is that El Pollo Rico is chargrilled too.

There's a Full Key in Wheaton on University. I haven't been in a while, but it was awesome before. Great homestyle shrimp and egg on rice, salt and pepper squid and congee. Hmm... might need to go back. Has anyone been there recently?

IIRC, Full Key in Wheaton was affiliated with Full Kee (note the different spellings) downtown/Va a long time ago but is no longer. Kee is definitely better, but Key is passable. However, if in Wheaton, you'd be better off two blocks west at Hollywood East or Good Fortune.

IIRC, Full Key in Wheaton was affiliated with Full Kee (note the different spellings) downtown/Va a long time ago but is no longer. Kee is definitely better, but Key is passable. However, if in Wheaton, you'd be better off two blocks west at Hollywood East or Good Fortune.

Great wonton and dumpling soups. Great Congee. OK roast meats and greens (they no longer do crispy roasted pig which is a shame.. theirs was awesome). The cooked food is not very good: seafood is rubbery and the ma po tofu was awful. I go there for lunch a lot for congee with preserved egg and pork or with squid, beef and peanuts. Or a bowl of won ton soup.

Running some errands I went to Full Key today. Back in the college days there were a lot of Friday nights here with the roasted duck on rice or shrimp and egg on rice. Today it was still quite good. To me a good roast duck has flavor inherent in the meat, not some sauce tossed on top. The flavor with this was there with some to spare for the rice.

I also ordered the salt and pepper fried squid. When it first came out it looked heavy and unappetizing, but the flavors and coating were spot on. Maybe a weensy bit too salty, but overall pretty well balanced with the addition of the pepper. I know its meant to be on the salty side.

Full Key was at one time a go to for us for won ton noodle soup and congee as it was on the way home from the restaurant and open late. But a few times of lessing food quality and an earlier closing time and it gradually fell off the radar. The other day, I was in the mood for a quick lunch which basically ruled out Nava and Ruan Thais. So I decided, what the heck, I haven't been to Full Key in ages. When I went in there were all new people working there so I suspected maybe a change in ownership? In any case, the service was comically inept, but the bowl of congee was superb. Silky smooth, almost subtle with really good pork slivers and lots of preserved egg. Of the last few visits to Full Key long ago, the congee would be desecrated by the incredibly bad fried won ton skins tossed in (which I would always forget to ask them to hold) but this time it was thankfully rancid oil free. I mean this was AMAZINGLY good congee. I guess it should be back in the rotation to see if this was just my lucky day or really a new team in place with better food. I certainly hope it is the latter!

23 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

Oh no! This is a favorite that I haven't tried in a long time! Roast pork & Noodle in Soup is essential! I hope they don't close!

Source of the Spring had an update the day after El Guapo's post that Full Key plans to remain open with some modifications:

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/montgomery-county/full-key-restaurant-we-will-continue-to-operate/

• Thanks 1