Thai Derm, Suton and Sirikunya Thumprasert's Thai on Bonifant Street in Downtown Silver Spring since 1983 - Closed

We used to like Thai Derm on Bonifant. Mandalay moving in across the street didn't kill them, did it?
No, they're still there. I haven't been there in ages and had no idea if they were still decent. We'll try them next time, or get carryout from the Thai market on Thayer.

We gave Thai at Silver Spring another go recently and they have definitely kicked up the heat and toned down the sugar, but they are still stingy with the fresh herbs (cilantro in particular) and fresh chilis, and have a too-light hand with the fish sauce. And it's expensive for what you get ($12-16 per dish).

Verdict? It's Thai food for people who are afraid of the flavors of Thai food. We'll go back to the Thai Market, or give Pinto on Georgia Ave a shot next time.

I had great Pad Thai at Thai Derm (Bonifant Ave.) a few weeks ago. Not as good as Ruan Thai, but better than anything I've had at Thai Market.

Yes, they are still "decent," based on one visit. We were prompted to try them by this WP article in last week's food section:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8123000605.html

We shared a special chicken satay appetizer which everyone enjoyed. I had the Spicy Seafood main, which included some excellent, plump mussels. I think my dining companions were too timid in what they ordered, so I didn't try any other dishes, but all 3 of them were happy with their food. Service is very friendly.

Over all, a solid neighborhood place that will be in our regular rotation.

Thai Derm is in my regular rotation during the week for carryout, because they're convenient, consistent, and they do a mean curry. Sometimes the Pad Thai can be a little bland, but overall, I've never had a bad meal there. Unlike Ruan Thai, where, lately, everything tastes burnt. Blech.

Thai Derm is in my regular rotation during the week for carryout, because they're convenient, consistent, and they do a mean curry. Sometimes the Pad Thai can be a little bland, but overall, I've never had a bad meal there. Unlike Ruan Thai, where, lately, everything tastes burnt. Blech.
Thai Derm is in my regular rotation during the week on Friday night for carryout, because they're convenient, consistent, and they do a mean curry. Sometimes the Pad Thai everything can be a little bland, but overall, I've never had a few bad meals there.

Don, this is closed, replaced by another Thai restaurant, Ruang Khao Thai (I would say in the last year - the oldest Yelp review for the new spot is October 2015). No idea if they are connected or not - one of the reviews mentions it as the "new name for the renovated Thai Derm", but I'm not sure that I believe it. I've never been in (ordered delivery only), but hopefully, if the old owners sold, it was willingly - Google indicates that Thai Derm predated me, having been there since 1983 (and the Google Street View picture has a "31st anniversary banner" outside, dating to October 2014).

• Like 1