Le Gaulois, King Street in Old Town - Closed

My last meal at Gaulois (about 2 years ago) was competent but in no way a stand out. However, if the weather is right it has the nicest outdoor seating in Alexandria.

According to The Weekly Dish, Tom Meyer (formerly of Pesce) has teamed with Washington lawyer Joerg- Uwe Szipl to "recast" Le Gaulois

"It needs a lot of love and care," Meyer says of the veteran French restaurant in Old Town. The chef forecasts a refreshed menu by January and possibly a second-floor wine bar come spring.

i used to go to la gaulois when it was next door to the circle theatre and nothing was better after an antonioni triple feature. this was the place i dug into my first calf brains. the original quarters were tight and we've only eaten at the alexandria restaurant two or three times, it seems like ages ago, so i'm looking forward to january when they say they will have gotten the show on the road.

Has anyone dined at Le Gaulois since February. I think Tom Meyer had a friends-and-family "re-openning" some time in February. I would appreciate hearing about atmosphere as well as food (e.g., is the place filled with coats and ties during dinner?). Thanks.

Has anyone dined at Le Gaulois since February. I think Tom Meyer had a friends-and-family "re-openning" some time in February. I would appreciate hearing about atmosphere as well as food (e.g., is the place filled with coats and ties during dinner?). Thanks.

I've been a few times since February and it has been great on every occasion. Certainly not a formal coat and tie place, more of an slightly upscale bistro and even less casual outside (jeans would be appropriate in either). I would recommend the duck confit salad or steak frites, or if you're really hungry, both.

Wow - it's been a while since there was a Le Gaulois post...I've had a couple pleasant visits to the upstairs wine bar, Bar Baudelaire. While the decor trends a bit modern for my tastes, the exposed brick walls (along with pleasant food and service) make up for black granite and bright spotlights. Most recently, we stopped in for a late dinner/snack on Saturday evening. In addition to a nice selection of petits plats, the full dinner menu is available at the bar. Most of the 'plats' are priced between $5 and $7 and are generous portions.

We started with the salt cod brandade - a hearty dish for a cold, wet night, and not overly salty. Plenty of warm goodness to spread on the accompanying toast points. The $5 mussels dish has to be one of the best bargains in Old Town - every mussel was open and there wasn't an empty shell in the serving. A classic white wine and shallot preparation over tender and meaty mussels, with plenty of juice for sopping up with bread. We also tried a pate de foie gras with homemade grape jelly. A nice preparation, though a little firmer than I would like, but sometimes things have to be kept refrigerated. Not a huge issue - especially when the flavor is good, as it was in this case. The baby vegetables were in fact mostly winter root vegetables, but that was fine with me - you can do no wrong with parsnips in my book;)

I almost forgot one of my favorite plates - saucisson à l’ail en brioche - a large slice of garlic sausage baked in a slice of sweet brioche. The dish also includes a mushroom cream sauce that complements the spice in the sausage.

JP is a gracious bartender and quick to offer a taste before he serves you a full glass. Chef Tom Meyer is doing solid work in the kitchen and has made some changes to the 'old' menu. They look to be good ones (though I'd still like to be able to get a 'frisee avec lardons' salad :P )

We'll be back again.

Anyone aware of Le Gaulois closing down for good. I heard remodel but word has it that they are closed for good ?
This was posted in the comments section of a story about another local business. Has anyone (Monavano) heard anything about this? I haven't walked by recently, so wasn't even aware they were closed at all. Their website says closed until April 1 for renovation, as does the site for Bar Baudelaire. I hope that's the case.

This was posted in the comments section of a story about another local business. Has anyone (Monavano) heard anything about this? I haven't walked by recently, so wasn't even aware they were closed at all. Their website says closed until April 1 for renovation, as does the site for Bar Baudelaire. I hope that's the case.

Funny, I was just on their website not 2 days ago because I wanted to puruse the menu prior to heading into Old Town. I'll let you know if I find anything.

The 1106 King Street LLC is delinquent in its corporate filings, but that's a very small fish in the scheme of things. Do you remember which realty company's sign was in the window? The realtor/broker may have some info that can be shared.

I remember when Gaulois was on Pennsylvania off 22nd and I liked it very much. On our last vist in the great long ago, we brought up rumors that it might close and were told that they were there forever. A few months later, they were done and moving to Alexandria and were replaced by Jacqueline's. Jac's was there for a few years and then moved up to M NW where it was ultimately replaced by Vidalia. It is curious to me that I remember restaurant locations and can't remember what the hole in the ground across from my apartment was before they obviusly tore a building down.

I remember when Gaulois was on Pennsylvania off 22nd and I liked it very much. On our last vist in the great long ago, we brought up rumors that it might close and were told that they were there forever. A few months later, they were done and moving to Alexandria and were replaced by Jacqueline's. Jac's was there for a few years and then moved up to M NW where it was ultimately replaced by Vidalia. It is curious to me that I remember restaurant locations and can't remember what the hole in the ground across from my apartment was before they obviusly tore a building down.

I think your memory has betrayed you here, a little. Shortly after Le Gaulois moved out of their place on Pennsylvania Avenue, that entire block was torn down, which was why they moved. Then for a surprising number of years, although I don't know how many exactly, the space served as a surface parking lot. According to "Remembering Jacqueline Rodier" in the Washingtonian, Jacqueline's opened on Pennsylvania Avenue in 1966, so that was before Le Gaulois, not after. I don't actually remember Jacqueline's except by name, but a little googling turned up its Pennsylvania Avenue address as 1921, while Le Gaulois was two blocks away at 2133.