"American Kurobuta" Pork: A Marketing Scheme

DonRocks

I ordered a Kurobuta pork ham for Easter -- worth the price.

The outcry over American Berkshire pork being peddled as Kurobuta seems downright muted (read: nonexistent) when compared with the furious backlash over American Wagyu beef being peddled as Kobe.

Snake River Farms seems to be a major culprit behind this marketing scheme. As far as I can tell from their website, their "American Kurobuta" pork has nothing whatsoever to do with Japan (Berkshire pigs originated in England).

Their seminal "American Kobe" steers were at least imported from Japan ten years ago (and crossbred, incidentally, with Black Angus muff, so this beef can't even be properly called Wagyu).

I'm not saying it isn't any good, just call it what it is, and stop calling it what it isn't.

Cheers,

Rocks.

As far as I can tell from their website, their "American Kurobuta" pork has nothing whatsoever to do with Japan (Berkshire pigs originated in England).
Other than the fact that Kurobota hogs and Berkshire hogs are the same variety of hog. Berkshires were introduced in Japan in the 19th century. I'm unable to find anything to suggest that Kurobota hogs are a special variety of pig in the same way that a Wagyu is a special variety of cattle. Are they raised in some special way (fed beer, given massages)? It may be that the Kurobota designation is some sort of marketing scam. But like I said, I can't seem to find much on the web about it. It even appears that most of the Berkshires raised in the US are exported to....Japan.

But here is an interesting article.

Just last night I noticed that Wegman's has started selling Snake River Farms "Kurobuta" pork and "Kobe" beef deli meats. I plan on buying some on my next shopping trip, mainly because I am curious if it makes any difference in something like deli meat.

Just last night I noticed that Wegman's has started selling Snake River Farms "Kurobuta" pork and "Kobe" beef deli meats. I plan on buying some on my next shopping trip, mainly because I am curious if it makes any difference in something like deli meat.
Haven't tried the ham yet, but the roast beef is really, really good, and not as expensive as I would have expected - $12.99/lb.

I bought some of the ham from Wegman's yesterday and it is the best tasting deli ham I've ever had. Very strong pork flavor and a bit of smokiness in addition to maybe a little too much salt. You can tell it comes from a real pig as there is actual marbing in the meat (maybe a bit much for someone on the "Challenge").

Looking forward to my brown-bag lunch today.