Bread Pudding

LorettaEChi

A group of us had dinner at 1789 on Friday. The bread pudding was absolutely awesome! Does anyone know the recipe?

You can start your own "1789's Bread Pudding Project" like Al did with Palena's chicken. It might catch on.

I've never tried there bread pudding, but I've never been known to turn a bread pudding down :P (especially the chocolate bread pudding from The Tomato Palace - which, coincidentally, is also part of the Clyde's Restaurant Group)

You can start your own "1789's Bread Pudding Project" like Al did with Palena's chicken. It might catch on.

I've never tried there bread pudding, but I've never been known to turn a bread pudding down :P (especially the chocolate bread pudding from The Tomato Palace - which, coincidentally, is also part of the Clyde's Restaurant Group)

if in your searches you find a white chocolate bread pudding please let me know!

Not bread pudding, but someone just developed a recipe for trifle made with a spice cake, white chocolate custard and a special Dutch pear that turns bright red when cooked. You could easily substitute quinces for the fruit. Click.

Meanwhile, the former chef of 1789 has a recipe for her mother (Yvonne Lacoste)'s cranberry bread that would make a rich, seasonal bread pudding.

I've never tried there bread pudding, but I've never been known to turn a bread pudding down :P

Then get thee to the Four Provinces in Falls Church. Best dang bread pudding I've had in the area. It's an Irish-style preparation using some sort of cream sauce that has flavors of Baileys and steel cut oatmeal.

This is a kind of funny thread, having morphed from the search for the 1789 recipe to general comments on home cooking and local restaurant preparations of bread pudding. So, let me throw in my two cents. I saw a great looking recipe in the new Dorie Greenspan baking book for a chocolate bread pudding. The bread was brioche/challah type, with your basic custard and melted chocolate added in. I don't much care for bread pudding but am quite tempted by the recipe and accompanying photo.

Here is one of my favorite bread pudding tricks... take your favorite bread pudding recipe, prepare as normal BUT then scoop it into individual servings in muffin pans! I have used small, medium and large muffin tins to prepare these treats. They make a great addition to a brunch buffet as an alternative to french toast!