Nak Won, Korean BBQ and Soups on Little River Turnpike in Annandale

On 4/14/2016 at 6:54 AM, ylkim30 said:

Kogiya is the best bet, but it's merely passable. The marinated meats are really too sweet, but that's true of most bbq in the area. There isn't great korean bbq in the dmv. Among Koreans, we like Nakwon. But only for samggypseol. (That's where I go with my embassy friends and other out of towners with traditional Korean palates ... not necessarily the place to go if you have an Americanized palate)

Now you've done it, you've started a mee-guk stampede to Nakwon. :D

On 4/14/2016 at 6:54 AM, ylkim30 said:

Kogiya is the best bet, but it's merely passable. The marinated meats are really too sweet, but that's true of most bbq in the area. There isn't great korean bbq in the dmv. Among Koreans, we like Nakwon. But only for samggypseol. (That's where I go with my embassy friends and other out of towners with traditional Korean palates ... not necessarily the place to go if you have an Americanized palate)

Nakwon's owner is the mother of one of my daughter's friends, so it's nice to hear a compliment. I don't have any Korean heritage, and I've never been to Korea, but I really enjoy Korean food. I don't know if I've tried Nakwon's pork belly, but it's on my list. 

Nakwon is certainly more of a family restaurant, and it's not as flashy as Kogiya or Honey Pig.

They also operate a catering business which is located next door to the restaurant.

Have been going here mostly for lunch.  The best deal is the $7.99 combo of jigae and grilled Mackerel.  I am also a huge fan of the $5.99 half and half cold noodles, half in broth and half dry with spicy sauce.  In fact, I will often order the mackerel and the noodles and skip the jigae.

We had a lovely order of pork belly cooked at the table.  Back to the lunch specials, the bulgogi bibim bap is a winner too.  Great banchan but be warned, the kimchee is the sour, fully fermented stinky kind.  I love it but Kay thinks it a bit aggressive.  

• Like 1