Bagels

amyblues

Einstein Bros. everything bagel and full-fat cream cheese with a medium roast coffee.  Is it so much to ask for one stinking NY-style bagelry in this town????  I miss my weekend jaunts to H&H.  :P

Hi Mel,

I don't know where you're located but Brooklyn Bagel Bakery on Wilson Boulevard has some pretty good bagels. Their bagel sandwiches with egg, cheese and ham are excellent. They're on par with the ones I get at home in NJ, and that's good enough for me. Also, Calvert Woodley in Van Ness gets H&H on a regular basis, and I believe Comet Liquors on Columbia Rd in Adams Morgan does too. Not the same as fresh H&H but not bad either.

Amy

Einstein Bros. everything bagel and full-fat cream cheese with a medium roast coffee.  Is it so much to ask for one stinking NY-style bagelry in this town????  I miss my weekend jaunts to H&H.  :lol:

ArrowWine on Lee Highway in Arlington also carries H&H Bagels.

I stopped by there on my way to work this morning to give them a try. I like that they put spread on both halves of the bagel and that they don't have any of that nasty corn meal on the bottom like Einstein Bagels.

Unfortunately, these bagels are not in the same league as my favorite in the DC area ... Bethesda Bagel (formerly whatsabagel) on Bethesda Avenue.

These guys have been serving out bagels with long lines for a while now. You go in and it is an organized chaos as there are more servers behind the counter than the counter is wide ... so you have to wait to be called and track your server through the maddness. They get everyone out pretty quickly and their bagels are the perfect blend of good size, crusty outside and chewy inside.

I remember back in 1995 when I was out of college and Brugers bagels were coming into the area everywhere (to be replaced by Einstein ...yuk). Brugers put in a location about 4 doors down from Bethesda Bagel and when I would go out there on the weekends you would see a long line out of Bethesda Bagel and not a soul in Brugers. Needless to say, Brugers moved out pretty quickly.

There are three good bagel joints that I know of in Fairfax County. My ranking is 1. Bagel Buddies (Fair Lakes); 2. Tysons Bagel Market; 3. Main St. Bagel Deli (Fairfax).

All three are far superior to any of the chain bagel joints around here (Einstein, Chesapeake, etc.).

As for Bruegger's, that is the best chain bagel place around. I was very sad to see them leave the area in what was dispute between the home office and the local franchisee.

As for Bruegger's, that is the best chain bagel place around. I was very sad to see them leave the area in what was dispute between the home office and the local franchisee.

I would agree that they were the best for the chain bagels except for H&H. H&H isn't quite the same because they are usually located in independent delis and sandwich shops where they ship the dough to the location and the locals bake it. So some locations may not be consistent. This is versus the chains that actually have their own consistent storefront franchise.

This morning I needed to pick up bagels. I love Brooklyn Bagels in Courthouse on Wilson, but now live in the city so I was a bit :lol: about where to go. Jumping on the board, I didn't really see a discussion, and Washington Post didn't help either. So... I hit the road.

A few weeks ago I had a really subpar bagel at Whatsa Bagel in Cleveland Park, so I headed up to Chevy Chase to Pumpernickel's to pick up bagels. Though their choices included chocolate chip and granola ( :unsure: ), I stuck with plain, whole wheat, multi-grain and sesame. The assortment hit the spot and the crowd was pleased. The cream cheese selections were nice, and they pack to order which is better than Brooklyn Bagels.

So, where do you go to buy bagels in D.C.?

NOTE: I searched DR.com this morning and bagels didn't bring up this topic... thanks!

Also note: I saw the WP clip at Pumpernickels. I didn't do a full search of wapo.com just the food section

This morning I needed to pick up bagels. I love Brooklyn Bagels in Courthouse on Wilson, but now live in the city so I was a bit :lol: about where to go. Jumping on the board, I didn't really see a discussion, and Washington Post didn't help either. So... I hit the road.

A few weeks ago I had a really subpar bagel at Whatsa Bagel in Cleveland Park, so I headed up to Chevy Chase to Pumpernickel's to pick up bagels. Though their choices included chocolate chip and granola ( :unsure: ), I stuck with plain, whole wheat, multi-grain and sesame. The assortment hit the spot and the crowd was pleased. The cream cheese selections were nice, and they pack to order which is better than Brooklyn Bagels.

So, where do you go to buy bagels in D.C.?

Here is an article from Sunday's Post with a couple of options in DC.

Last week's Sunday Source gives a list.

bagels

My office is right next to Bethesda Bagels and I often pick up a baker's dozen to take to the restaurant for a morning shift on Saturday or SUnday and I always get raves. I have even heard some native NYers giving an unprecedented level of praise for a non-NY product. They are perfectly chewy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside. And the assortment of bagel varieties is VASTLY superior to anything I have seen in NY, which is good because Beth likes sweet bagels more than the savory.

And the assortment of bagel varieties is VASTLY superior to anything I have seen in NY, which is good because Beth likes sweet bagels more than the savory.

That's because anyone from NY will tell you that there are a limited number of things that you are permitted to put on (never IN) a bagel: poppy, sesame, garlic, onion, salt. Once you start with this jalapeno chocolate chip blueberry crap, it's a bagel-shaped roll.

Frankly, when I see a bagel shop that has all the sweet options, I have much lower expectations for the quality of their product. To reference the cheesesteak topic, I have the same reaction when I see lettuce, tomato, mayo offered.

I had a friend -- New Yorker, Jewish -- who maintained that blueberry bagels were, in fact, anti-semitic.

New York's dirtiest little secret is that, while there are excellent bagles to be bought, the average New York bagel sucks. Its bialy availability is vastly superior, though.

By the way: In my family of four we have four different spaghetti sauce recipes, three favorite pizza places, three different Ethiopian preferences, and four sausage recipes. But we all agree on Georgetown Bagle Bakery.

I had a friend -- New Yorker, Jewish -- who maintained that blueberry bagles were, in fact, anti-semitic.
So is misspelling "bagel" :lol:
New York's dirtiest little secret is that, while there are excellent bagles to be bought, the average New York bagel sucks. Its bialy availability is vastly superior, though.
So very true. If I could find a decent bialy in DC, I'd be able to stop carting back dozens from my trips to visit family in NY or NY-South (otherwise known as South Florida).

If I could find a decent bialy in DC, I'd be able to stop carting back dozens from my trips to visit family in NY ...

Perhaps this belongs in the NYC thread, but...reccs on which bialys to try in NYC? DC not being a bialy town, this is relatively uncharted territory for me (plus, I'm still eating down my stash of bagels obtained from the Bagel Hole in Brooklyn).

Perhaps this belongs in the NYC thread, but...reccs on which bialys to try in NYC? DC not being a bialy town, this is relatively uncharted territory for me (plus, I'm still eating down my stash of bagels obtained from the Bagel Hole in Brooklyn).
I like the bialys from Kossar's Bialys myself ... and if you bring some back next time you're in NYC, perhaps you could hide away a few extras for me?? :lol:

the bagel shop in the Bradlee Center on King st., I think its called Capitol Bagel Bakery (but the sign over the shop only says Bagel Bakery). whatever the official name, the bagels there are really good, definitely the best in the whole Arlandria area.

one beef with almost all bagel places in the area, is when did the standard become toasting the bagel. I know its nit picky, but why do I have to say not toasted, shouldn't additional preparation have to be asked for instead of assumed?

I had a friend -- New Yorker, Jewish -- who maintained that blueberry bagels were, in fact, anti-semitic.

This is, in fact, true. So are cinnamon raisin bagels. In fact, the only bagels permissible aside from plain are onion, garlic, salt, poppy and sesame. Pumpernickel is the "and sometimes Y" part of the equation. All others are, according to the official rules, abominations. Including the "everything" bagel.

By the way: In my family of four we have four different spaghetti sauce recipes, three favorite pizza places, three different Ethiopian preferences, and four sausage recipes. But we all agree on Georgetown Bagle Bakery.
Georgetown Bagel is the only place I will spend money on bagels around here.

(If I agree with you more often, will you share those sauce and sausage recipes? :lol: )

Bagel City in Rockville produces the best in the area. I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in both Manhatten and queens. Bagel City's bagel are exactly what a NY bagel is. No more and no less.
Have you been to the Bagel City on Mass. Ave in DC and if so, do you think that the bagels are just as good as the one in Rockville?

Bagel City in Rockville produces the best in the area. I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in both Manhatten and queens. Bagel City's bagel are exactly what a NY bagel is. No more and no less.

I went on Saturday. Bagels were pretty good, but not crusty enough. Needed another couple of minutes in the oven.

And they offer blueberry and jalapeno. Two strikes.

Whatsabagel in the strip mall in Cleveland Park may have been shut down once or twice by the Health Inspector, but it was convenient for someone running errands in the neighborhood. The coffee shop next door carries a few, but there was just a small pile of blueberry and poppyseed this afternoon.

Got me some Nova yesterday and some Neufchatel this afternoon and was looking forward to a really nice breakfast before the market tomorrow morning, only to find my occasional supplier closed a month ago.

Since I am not eager to wade through blue, silver, red & white carnage and debris tomorrow afternoon, is there something decent around Dupont Circle?

I am, by no means, a bagel connoisseur, but WhatsaBagel did the trick. However, I recently purchased bagels at Calvert Woodley that reminded me of those pretzels sold at the MCI/Verizon/Whatever Center. Argh! :blink:

Whatsabagel in the strip mall in Cleveland Park may have been shut down...

Whatsabagel in the strip mall in Cleveland Park may have been shut down once or twice by the Health Inspector, but it was convenient for someone running errands in the neighborhood. The coffee shop next door carries a few, but there was just a small pile of blueberry and poppyseed this afternoon.

Got me some Nova yesterday and some Neufchatel this afternoon and was looking forward to a really nice breakfast before the market tomorrow morning, only to find my occasional supplier closed a month ago.

Since I am not eager to wade through blue, silver, red & white carnage and debris tomorrow afternoon, is there something decent around Dupont Circle?

Anna, are you saying was because that used to be your bagel place and now you've moved? I couldn't tell by the thread. In any event-- sorry if this is repeat info-- the bagel place in the strip mall in Cleveland Park is closed for good. Not that I loved the bagels there, but it's weird that it's not there.

We recently discovered Neal's Bagels in the strip mall at 28 and Quince Orchard.

So far we've been pleased--the onion and sesame bagels are suitably "hard" on the outside and chewy and tasty on the inside.

They have pretty good rugalah though I thought the black and white cookie lacked the true essence of NY.

The counter guys are just impatient enough too.

Haven't tried the whitefish salad yet--that's my final test for a good bagel place.

Mr. BLB (the NYer in the family) has been pleased too.

Would it be worth the schlep from the city? Not sure but I think the bagels are markedly better than Bagel City in Rockville. It's been too long for me to compare them to Bethesda Bagels.

Jennifer, not mourning the demise of Whatsa Bagel in Cleveland Park one bit...

I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in both Manhatten and queens.
But not long enough to spell Manhattan correctly or capitalize Queens? :blink: If you lived in Manattan, you'd be headed to H & H at 80th and Broadway. I haven't found any bagels in this area to come close to H & H (even though the last good bagels I had (last week) were from Long Island).

Anna, are you saying was because that used to be your bagel place and now you've moved? I couldn't tell by the thread. In any event-- sorry if this is repeat info-- the bagel place in the strip mall in Cleveland Park is closed for good. Not that I loved the bagels there, but it's weird that it's not there.
Sorry, my post was more than a little cryptic. What I meant to say was that I was surprised to see the WhatsaBagel in Cleveland Park closed; I hadn't noticed before since I buy bagels so seldomly. Since I had to postpone my quest for a new source until after my morning at the farmer's market, I was wondering if there might be a convenient source near Dupont Circle, preferably somewhere I could walk while heading back to Woodley Park.
But not long enough to spell Manhattan correctly or capitalize Queens? :blink: If you lived in Manattan, you'd be headed to H & H at 80th and Broadway. I haven't found any bagels in this area to come close to H & H (even though the last good bagels I had (last week) were from Long Island).
I hereby absolve all DR members from having to edit their posts to correct spelling errors or to capitalize proper nouns and so forth, provided clarity is not undermined by mistakes. I merely ask that you avoid using the word "simplistic" when you really mean "simple", "plain", or "unadorned".

We recently discovered Neal's Bagels in the strip mall at 28 and Quince Orchard. ...

Not sure but I think the bagels are markedly better than Bagel City in Rockville.

BLB--I used to really like Neal's, but I think that they often pull them out too fast on Sat. and Sun mornings and they don't have an adequately crusty exterior. In recent memory, I've preferred Bagel City.

The other place you might want to try (haven't been personally, hope to try it for the first time tomorrow morning) is Royal Bagel Bakery in Germantown (http://www.royalbagelbakery.com/). I've heard it's good on Chowhound and am willing to give it a try.

Royal Bakery is a New York style on Germantown Rd & Middlebrook Pkwy, Germantown MD. The Brooklyn bagel maker cook in the back is married to a lady who had relatives down here. Every time he came down to visit, he had to bring crates of bagels for his sister-in-law, their friends, neighbors, etc. Finally, he moved down here and even imports Brooklyn potato water (or so he claims). As a long time Manhattenite, I swear by them. Also, at Christmas time, they inport Stolen from some cousin in Brooklyn. The best in the world.

Oh, well, to each their own. I tried it yesterday and thought the bagels at Neals and Bagel City are better. The cinnamon raisin didn't taste very cinnamony, the crust was the same consistency as the insides and it was all a bit too cottony (for me). Let us know what you think if you give it a try, BLB.

Whatsabagel in the strip mall in Cleveland Park may have been shut down once or twice by the Health Inspector, but it was convenient for someone running errands in the neighborhood.

Whatsa Bagel had excellent bagels, but the last time I ever went in there (over two years ago), they had some very obvious infestation issues. I wonder if the health department issues are what shut them down for good.

Smokey,

I will give them a try soon--perhaps even do a blind taste test between Neal's, Bagel City and Royal's with Mr. BLB.

I will report back any findings!

Jennifer

Am I hearing an idea for the picnic? Blind bagel tasting

Royal Bakery is a New York style on Germantown Rd & Middlebrook Pkwy, Germantown MD. The Brooklyn bagel maker cook in the back is married to a lady who had relatives down here. Every time he came down to visit, he had to bring crates of bagels for his sister-in-law, their friends, neighbors, etc. Finally, he moved down here and even imports Brooklyn potato water (or so he claims). As a long time Manhattenite, I swear by them. Also, at Christmas time, they inport Stolen from some cousin in Brooklyn. The best in the world.
How thick are they? One of the reasons why bagels today have less chew is that they are roughly the size of a tea ring. When I was a kid, we used to get them from Attman's in Baltimore, and they were less than one inch thick. Still, it sounds like the Royal is worth a shot. Does he make his own corned beef?

I've also been trying my hand at making my own using the recipe in "The Bread Bakers Apprentice." They're as close to a true NY Bagel as I've had since I lived there. Here's a link to my blog with my first attempt at bagel making.
I tried that recipe a few years ago (did the cinnamon raisin bagels). although I enjoyed the experiment a lot, I decided it was more fun to keep shopping around, looking for a good bagel to buy and kvetching about the crappy bagels I buy in the process! :blink:

I had a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese today at Bagels, Deli & Donuts in Falls Church (right next to the Staples on Route 7). Here's what I can say that's good about it: It's independently owned, the bagels are made in-house, and it's much better than your typical "office lunch" bagel. While I prefer these to Einstein Brothers or Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, I can't say that what I had today was any better than what you'd find at Tysons Bagel Market, meaning "acceptable, but no great shakes." For $1.99, the spread of cream cheese I got was a bit chintzy, but I suppose that all depends on the whims of the spreader.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Georgetown Bagel is the only place I will spend money on bagels around here.
Better stock up the freezer, because they will be closing in January to make room for Barton Seaver's new place, Tackle Box.
Any opinions on Goldberg's in Rockville? It's on Boiling Brook Parkway, in the same shopping center as Kosher Mart.
I can give my own now - perfectly respectable, but not worth the drive from Takoma Park.

There is a Georgetown Bagel on River Road in Bethesda.

I have to admit that the bialys at Whole Foods (I go to the G'town location) are not bad. I mean they are not Kossar's (the world's best on Grand St. in NYC), but they are the closest thing to a true NY Bialy I've had in DC.

Cosi has got to have the worst "bagel" I have ever eaten. Bland & floury, with no crust to speak of and the sparsest sprinkling of onion, poppy, and sesame ever seen on an everything bagel. Really really bad, and thanks to the ridiculous counter service, a waste of the 15 minutes it took to purchase it.

I miss Georgetown Bagels already. :mellow:

No need to miss it entirely, just the convenience of the Georgetown location. The Georgetown Bagelry at 5227 River Road near Friendship Heights is run by the same folks who started and ran the Georgetown shop until almost the end (I believe they sold to the Hook folks a year or two ago). Same great bagels, albeit somewhat pricier than the competition but definetely worth it, and worth the trip.

Another bagelry that I recently found that comes close is the Capital Bagel Bakery at 3610 King St # A, in an otherwise nondescript strip mall in Alexandria. I always pick up a dozen and a couple of freezer bags when I am in the neighborhood.

You couldn't pay me to eat a Chesapeake bagel. Faggedaboutit!

In November, Barton Seaver was interviewed by The Hoya student newspaper and mentioned relocating the Bagelry "up the street." Does anyone have an update?
Then we are working very hard to relocate the bagel store. It is a 27-year-old Georgetown icon. It is hard to take a business out that works and replace it with another, so we are going to move it up the street. We are going to retrofit it to have more offering but still have the core bagels.

In November, Barton Seaver was interviewed by The Hoya student newspaper and mentioned relocating the Bagelry "up the street." Does anyone have an update?

As much as I hate to say it, the quality of the bagels started to slip when the original owners sold. I am not sure I would bother if they did reopen nearby.

Cosi has got to have the worst "bagel" I have ever eaten. Bland & floury, with no crust to speak of and the sparsest sprinkling of onion, poppy, and sesame ever seen on an everything bagel. Really really bad, and thanks to the ridiculous counter service, a waste of the 15 minutes it took to purchase it.
As I recall, they have some cutesy name for them. I try not to think of them as bagels. If I'm starving in the morning, they fill a need for something starchy and toasted, but that's about it.