Artfully Chocolate

Finishing up my post-market coffee at St. Elmo's this morning, I noticed signage for "Artfully Chocolate" in the storefront just behind the coffee shop (116 E. Del Ray Ave - formerly housing 8 Hands Round, or was it A Show of Hands).

The website is currently under construction, but Alexandria economic development website lists the place as "art gallery and chocolatier" with a July 20 opening date. Anyone heard anything or know anything about their [future] wares?

Finishing up my post-market coffee at St. Elmo's this morning, I noticed signage for "Artfully Chocolate" in the storefront just behind the coffee shop (116 E. Del Ray Ave - formerly housing 8 Hands Round, or was it A Show of Hands).

The website is currently under construction, but Alexandria economic development website lists the place as "art gallery and chocolatier" with a July 20 opening date. Anyone heard anything or know anything about their [future] wares?

Here is what I can tell you. Artfully Chocolate will be a chocolate shop/art gallery which is owned by Eric Nelson (an artist in Del Ray). He will be carrying chocolates from Artisan Confections, Kingsbury Chocolates, and I think Mothers Macaroons (from Arlington). I believe he will also be selling some less fancy confections for the kiddies as well as some chocolate dipped fruit and beverages. It should be a great addition to Del Ray. I will keep you informed as more info comes my way...

Here is what I can tell you. Artfully Chocolate will be a chocolate shop/art gallery which is owned by Eric Nelson (an artist in Del Ray). He will be carrying chocolates from Artisan Confections, Kingsbury Chocolates, and I think Mothers Macaroons (from Arlington). I believe he will also be selling some less fancy confections for the kiddies as well as some chocolate dipped fruit and beverages. It should be a great addition to Del Ray. I will keep you informed as more info comes my way...

Drove by it this evening after leaving Cheesetique. Looks like it'll be a great addition to the existing offerings in Del Ray.

"Artfully Chocolate"

"Premium Chocolates, Inspiring Art and Beautiful Orchids"

116 E. Del Ray Ave

Alexandria, VA 22301

703-635-7917

www.artfullychocolate.com

Walking back to my car from the market today, I spied Artfully Chocolate. It opened Aug. 3. It is a lovely space with chocolates, confections, art and gifts.

The chocolates are from Kingsbury Chocolates, and Artisan Confections. There's much more too!

Macaroons from Mother's Macaroons. I also glanced fudge and chocolate covered pretzels to name a couple.

The owners seems very excited about thier addition to Del Ray and besides me, there were two other bloggers in the shop anxious to spread the word of thier sweet wonderful offerings.

"Artfully Chocolate"

"Premium Chocolates, Inspiring Art and Beautiful Orchids"

116 E. Del Ray Ave

Alexandria, VA 22301

703-635-7917

www.artfullychocolate.com

Walking back to my car from the market today, I spied Artfully Chocolate. It opened Aug. 3. It is a lovely space with chocolates, confections, art and gifts.

The chocolates are from Kingsbury Chocolates, and Artisan Confections. There's much more too!

Macaroons from Mother's Macaroons. I also glanced fudge and chocolate covered pretzels to name a couple.

The owners seems very excited about thier addition to Del Ray and besides me, there were two other bloggers in the shop anxious to spread the word of thier sweet wonderful offerings.

Any updates on the store hours? I've been wanting to go to Artisan Confections, but the store hours aren't very convenient.

Any updates on the store hours? I've been wanting to go to Artisan Confections, but the store hours aren't very convenient.
I seem to recall that they are open fairly late, maybe the same hours as St. Elmo's most nights - which is until 10:00. I was in at 8:30 one weeknight...

The space is bright and full of Eric Nelson's art along with all the chocolate goodies and other gift items. It's a nice addition to the neighborhood (and a good place to head for your sugar fix if the line at The Dairy Godmother is too long :) )

It looks like they are opening on 14th Street near the corner of Q St in the Matrix Condos. They have an easel with a sign that reads Artfully Chocolate featuring Kingsbury Confections in the unfinished space. It will be next to Canidida's World of Books and the future space for Universal Gear also opening up in the Matrix. I live in the neighborhood so I can't wait for it to come into the neighborhood.

Eric Nelson of Artfully Chocolate and Rob Kingsbury of Kingsbury Chocolates are opening another ACKC-ACKC Alexandria, located in Del Ray on Mount Vernon Ave.

The Artfully Chocolate space will become Artfully Chef, where chocolate making and classes will take place. Kingsbury's second floor Old Town location has closed.

ACKC Alexandria opens on Saturday, and will offer the same great hot chocalates, frozen drinks and gelato that the Logan Circle location does.

The space is cozy, with about 6 cafe tables. I believe the cocoa bar will not have seating like the DC location.

I was hugely disappointed by the one piece of chocolate I tried at ACKC. The majority of their chocolates are only slightly larger than a thumbnail and cost $1.95. I tried the passionfruit one, and the chocolate wasn't very complex and was way too thick making the passionfruit flavor not apparent.

At $1.95 the chocolate should either be bigger or taste better. When I compare to my favorite fleur de sel chocolates from Recchiuti at about $1.40/piece or Kee's Chocolates at $2.00/piece, all of which are larger and vastly more flavorful, what I tried was inadequate.

Now I recognize I am making a judgment on one piece, but given that most of them are variations on one theme, I can't imagine that there's much of a difference. And at $1.95 each, I'm unlikely to take the chance again.

It seems from various posts I've read that Gifford's ice cream is well loved in this area (I guess it's like Bassetts in Philadelphia) so I wanted to share that ACKC Alexandria will be selling Gifford's just like its predecessor, Sundae Times, did.

It looks like they are opening on 14th Street near the corner of Q St in the Matrix Condos. They have an easel with a sign that reads Artfully Chocolate featuring Kingsbury Confections in the unfinished space. It will be next to Canidida's World of Books and the future space for Universal Gear also opening up in the Matrix. I live in the neighborhood so I can't wait for it to come into the neighborhood.

This location is now closed. Sign on the door says for personal/family reasons. It also says that the Alexandria location remains open.

Can someone please fill me in on what is going on with this kluge? I understand neither the pre-merger companies, the post-merger company, the divesture (if there is one), the closures (if any), and not much else, either.

What happened with what apparently were three independent businesses?

[if someone could help me sort through this tangle of thorns, I'd appreciate it.]

Cheers,

Rocks

Can someone please fill me in on what is going on with this kluge? I understand neither the pre-merger companies, the post-merger company, the divesture (if there is one), the closures (if any), and not much else, either.

What happened with what apparently were three independent businesses?

[if someone could help me sort through this tangle of thorns, I'd appreciate it.]

Cheers,

Rocks

I don't know any specifics, but can tell you there are currently two locations in Alexandria. One is in Del Ray (Artfully Chocolate), recently renovated, which now has a 'food and fizz bar', serving sliders and floats. The other is in Old Town (Artfully Gifts and Chocolate - in the Carlyle area), where they apparently host yappie hours every other Friday.

Both carry chocolates from Kingsbury (also available through the online store), along with other vendors including Christopher's.