Choong Hwa Won, Korean-Chinese on John Marr Drive in Annandale, Featuring Ja Jang Myun

Did it look anything like this?

If so, it's called ja jang myun and can be found at Choong Hwa Won restaurant in Annandale

Jajangmyun is adapted from the Chinese which is why you don't find it at every Korean restaruant (and the reason we haven't suggested Choong Hwa Won is that we were going to in March...I think people are ready for Korean/Chinese food. At the rate Dean finds Korean restaurants, we could have a Korean $20 Tuesday from now until the end of 2008)

There are some Chinese style Korean restaurants in VA but I would always choose Choong Hwa Won as the #1 place. The only flaw is that they don't serve hand-made noodle. I can't compare this place with Da Rae Won because I haven't been there. Escoffier and I have eaten at Choong Hwa Won for more than 8 years. I saw the owner had been changed a couple of times but the food taste didn't change much and the business goes very well.

Jajang Myun is most Korean baby boomer's soul food. Whenever family gathered and mom was too busy to cook, we ordered Jajang Myun and Sweet and Sour Pork. Then, within 30 mins, I could hear the doorbell was ringing. This is not only my family story but also every baby boomer's and this story still goes on. Therefore, being able to serve good Jajang Myun and Sweet and Sour pork dishes is very critical for the Chinese style Korean restaurants.

Jajang Myun is easily found in the Chinese Restaurant menu but the taste is somewhat different from the Korean one. Chinese one has stronger taste (saltier and thicker sauce) and very greasy. Jajang Myun is brought by Shandong people (Shandong peninsular is located in the east coast of China and is closest from Korea) into Korea around late 19th century. The Shandong Jajang sauce is sweeter than one from Beijing and it was modified for Korean people later. That's why Korean Jajang Myun is sweeter than Chinese one. If someone who tasted this noodle from A&J, then it would be easy to find the difference.

Jajangmyun is adapted from the Chinese which is why you don't find it at every Korean restaruant (and the reason we haven't suggested Choong Hwa Won is that we were going to in March...I think people are ready for Korean/Chinese food. At the rate Dean finds Korean restaurants, we could have a Korean $20 Tuesday from now until the end of 2008)

That works for me :lol: Thanks to you two, I love Korean food. Jajangmyun has been on my list of things to try for quite a while...

Jajang Myun is easily found in the Chinese Restaurant menu but the taste is somewhat different from the Korean one. Chinese one has stronger taste (saltier and thicker sauce) and very greasy. Jajang Myun is brought by Shandong people (Shandong peninsular is located in the east coast of China and is closest from Korea) into Korea around late 19th century. The Shandong Jajang sauce is sweeter than one from Beijing and it was modified for Korean people later. That's why Korean Jajang Myun is sweeter than Chinese one.

I think I prefer the Chinese version (as you describe it).

Had a bowl of ja jang myun (noodles with pork and black bean sauce) for lunch here the other day, and it was so cheap! $3.99 (possibly price only at lunch, don't know). It was a decent sized portion. The black bean sauce had onions and some cubes of pork, not a whole lot of pork, but I wouldn't expect alot given the price. (Other dishes on the menu were closer to $10 and above).

I'll have to check this out. I'm a sucker for Korean & Chinese food, but a fusion of the two is even more interesting!

As well as Tian, you should investigate Choong Hwa Won and Da Rae Won. I went to Choong Hwa Won a week ago, and it was as good as it has ever been.

You don't need to order anything other than #34 (the prices are higher than the website says, but even if you order *just this*, you'll have leftovers unless you're starving, and it microwaves better than you'd think). If you want to get more experimental, they're advertising a Summer Only Menu. But if you've never tried Ja Jang Myun, start there first (and don't wear a white shirt and tie, trust me).

Choong Hwa Won used to be the only place in the area to get Ja Jang Myun, and I *love* it - I could eat it once a week - but both Tian and Da Rae Won hand-pull their noodles, and because of this, are quite possibly a step up in quality.
  • Like 1

Had dinner here last night.  Service was friendly and efficient, prices were quite reasonable.  I ordered #34 -- and discovered it's not my thing.  I thought it was very one-note, flavor wise, and I got bored with it quickly.  I brought fully half of it home and this morning, eyeing the container in the fridge, decided I wouldn't enjoy it any more the second time around and tossed it out.  Even nibbling on the banchan between bites of the ja-jang myun didn't help -- it only served to remind me I was disinterested in my entree.  I get that it's a homey, comfort food type of dish, but it just doesn't seem like there's any "there" there to my palate.

10 hours ago, weezy said:

Had dinner here last night.  Service was friendly and efficient, prices were quite reasonable.  I ordered #34 -- and discovered it's not my thing.  I thought it was very one-note, flavor wise, and I got bored with it quickly.  I brought fully half of it home and this morning, eyeing the container in the fridge, decided I wouldn't enjoy it any more the second time around and tossed it out.  Even nibbling on the banchan between bites of the ja-jang myun didn't help -- it only served to remind me I was disinterested in my entree.  I get that it's a homey, comfort food type of dish, but it just doesn't seem like there's any "there" there to my palate.

Next time try Ja Jang Myun with seafood (and somewhere else), preferably at Jang Won which is between the VA Commerce Bank and the Tires Plus store.  You'll find the same service, only two types of banchan (the pieces of onion that you dip in black bean sauce is my favorite), not much English (a very heavily Korean clientele) and the same eat and leave vibe.  And if you don't like the Ja Jang Myun, try the Kung Pao Shrimp (the Korean version is nothing like P.F. Chang's I promise). (I'm going to regret telling people about this place because it's where we go for ja jang myun and I really don't want to have to contend with a herd of people to satisfy my craving 😀)

• Like 2

Next time try Ja Jang Myun with seafood (and somewhere else), preferably at Jang Won which is between the VA Commerce Bank and the Tires Plus store.  You'll find the same service, only two types of banchan (the pieces of onion that you dip in black bean sauce is my favorite), not much English (a very heavily Korean clientele) and the same eat and leave vibe.  And if you don't like the Ja Jang Myun, try the Kung Pao Shrimp (the Korean version is nothing like P.F. Chang's I promise). (I'm going to regret telling people about this place because it's where we go for ja jang myun and I really don't want to have to contend with a herd of people to satisfy my craving 😀)

thanks for the tip!