Panko

Kanishka

I get them at the Asian Market next to Kingstown library.Way cheaper than the grocery store ( I believe I've gotten them both at Safeway and Giant) Otherwise, I just throw a few pieces of good old white bread in the Braun quick chop. Breaded veal for parmagiano using that and store crumbs 2 nights ago.

Edited by monavano

I have just decided to make eggplant parm tonight, and the recipe calls for panko. Do you think I can get this at Giant/Safeway, or is a trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in order (in which case, I may just substitute bread crumbs or matzoh meal; or, defer to another night)? World Market doesn't carry it.

Thanks.

I have just decided to make eggplant parm tonight, and the recipe calls for panko. Do you think I can get this at Giant/Safeway, or is a trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in order (in which case, I may just substitute bread crumbs or matzoh meal; or, defer to another night)? World Market doesn't carry it.

Thanks.

I know I've panko at Trader Joe's in the past but that is no gurantee that they will be carrying it today! Not sure about Giant or Safeway as I shop there so rarely....

Eggplant parmesan really doesn't need breadcrumbs. Just sprinkle Parm on the top and dot with little pieces of butter to let a golden crust form on its own.
I was just thinking that eggplant parm may be better off with the finer grain of "regular" breadcrumbs than with panko.

I was just thinking that eggplant parm may be better off with the finer grain of "regular" breadcrumbs than with panko.

Thanks for the suggestion; I plan to do that if I can't get panko at the Giant. FWIW, I am following the recipe from Aug 04 Gourmet, which had a pretty high "fork" rating. (I'm not a great cook, so I tend to follow tried and true recipes.) One feature I like about Epicurious is the "comments" section, where you can find out whether you should use extra garlic, cook longer, etc.

Traditionally, eggplant parm has neither garlic nor breadcrumbs.

Of course, personal taste matters most (cf. the Chili thread). Personally, I like using a simple tomato sauce vs. uncooked, canned plum tomatoes which others swear is more authentic. Parm only, no mozzarella, though the latter would be requisite in Naples, I suppose.

Guys! I would like to tell you this: You can simply make panko without going WF or Asian market. Just put a couple of slice of bread into a food processor and push the pulse button. When this home-made panko is fried, the moisture is evaporated fast and it gives you light and crispy texture.