Surfas Kitchen And Restaurant Supply

Sthitch

Any word on what is going on with Culver City’s attempt at eminent domain theft of Les Surfas warehouses?

No clue. I was just amazed at how the section of Washington Blvd. between National and La Cienega is being gentrified. It is now the "Culver City Arts District". During the early 90's, when my daughter was going to pre-school at Play Mountain Place, a venerable "progressive" school started in 1949 on one of the residential streets near La Cienega and Washington, the area was very run-down and unwelcoming. Now the store fronts are re-built, painted in cool colors and contain galleries, studios and shops. I didn't have time to explore, but I drove through a couple of times. Surfas has moved a couple of times in the past 15 years. It used to be in a warehouse on Washington and Adams Blvd. I can remember standing in the checkout line behind Susan Feniger there. Then they were on National Blvd. for many years. They recently moved around the corner to a very nice space, and now have a terrific little cafe and bakery. I have always been like a kid in a candy store in Surfas. If we had anything remotely like it in DC, all the passionate cooks here at DR.com would be much happier people.