Juniper Berries

porcupine

Just need to vent a little as I can not find juniper berries anywhere. On another thread someone advised me to try WF and Giant. Nope. mad.gif

I especially hate the Giant in the Traville shopping center. Every time I ask if they have a certain food they look at me like I was from Mars or something. Last time it was Key lime juice (bottled). Other Giants have it. But three people at this store had no idea what I was talking about. They kept sending me to the beverages aisle. Same with juniper. "what? I never heard of that!" Motherfucker I did not ask whether you ever heard of it, I just want you to check the inventory on your computer and tell me if you stock it, and if so where.

Sorry. I feel much better now. That place pisses me off. I am never shopping there again.

Just need to vent a little as I can not find juniper berries anywhere.  On another thread someone advised me to try WF and Giant.  Nope.  :)  

I especially hate the Giant in the Traville shopping center.  Every time I ask if they have a certain food they look at me like I was from Mars or something.  Last time it was Key lime juice (bottled).  Other Giants have it.  But three people at this store had no idea what I was talking about.  They kept sending me to the beverages aisle.  Same with juniper.  "what?  I never heard of that!"  Motherfucker I did not ask whether you ever heard of it, I just want you to check the inventory on your computer and tell me if you stock it, and if so where.

Sorry.  I feel much better now.  That place pisses me off.  I am never shopping there again.

Some Giants just have bigger selections than others. I frequently see them in the bottled spice section. Balducci's ought to have them as well.

1) Juniper berries - how about Dean and Deluca? I recall they have a large selection of spices. I have some I'd offer to share, but I think you're looking for them sooner than I could get them to you. I'll try to find out where the person who gave them to me found them.

2) The new Whole foods :) - FINALLY - it's open! It's beautiful and big and was a total lovefest yesterday. The selection (for now) is huge. I stood in front of the mushroom selection and just stared - they have varieties I've never heard of/seen - pompom, french horn, etc. The seafood and meat counters are vast and well-stocked, as is the cheese department. All pork, turkey, and chicken sausages (made in-house) are on sale for $3.99 a pound for at least the next few days (reg. $5.99/lb)

We've been so starved for a good grocery store in Old Town, I imagine this store is going to do huge volume. I'll be curious to see what the impact is on other area stores, primarily Balducci's, and, to a lesser extent, Trader Joe's. I hope it doesn't affect Cheesetique, as I saw a lot of similar offerings at comparable prices. All parking proceeds go to the Alexandria Scholarship Fund - a nice gesture in support of a local cause.

Only bummer was there's no Jamba Juice!

Only bummer was there's no Jamba Juice!

I think WF as a whole has pulled out of the Jamba Juice market. The one at the P St store was replaced with an in house beverage bar (mostly coffee that I can see) sometime last summer.

Some Giants just have bigger selections than others.  I frequently see them in the bottled spice section.  Balducci's ought to have them as well.

This Giant is huge , as has a very large selection of "international" and "gourmet" items - especially Indian things (like packaged rasmalai mix). <sigh>

Didn't have time to hit TSFKASPG (aka Balducci's), and won't until Friday am. The meat goes in the pot Fri afternoon. D'ya think throwing them in for the last few hours would be worth it?

Saute a sliced onion before adding the rinsed sauerkraut and the wine. In addition to the juniper berries, don't forget a bay leaf or two and a bouquet garnie of fresh thyme and parsley.

Or chop some pancetta or bacon (or guanciale, if you've got it and feel like splurging) or even fatty bits of fresh pork. Render it partially, and then sautee the onion in the fat. Add the sauerkraut (rinsed or not; I use Bubbies and don't rinse), bruised juniper berries, and wine. I almost always use vermouth, because I always have an opened bottle in the fridge. Simmer for at least two hours, adding liquid as necessary. Sauerkraut should be very soft when ready to serve.

My ideal of sauerkraut was formed by eating lots of it in Germany, mostly Bavaria. I never encountered anything like bay leaf, thyme, or parsley there, so I don't use them, although I can certainly imagine enjoying sauerkraut that included them. Many American cooks of central-European heritage will put caraway seeds in sauerkraut. I may have encountered that in Germany, but I don't recall it. I think it may be commoner farther east. Anyway, I put caraway in the (Hungarian) pork-and-sauerkraut dish called Szegediner Gulasch in German, which I posted about elsewhere, but never in a pot of plain (as described above) sauerkraut. Caraway quickly wearies the palate, in my opinion.