BBQ Caterers

I'll have to track the name down, but one of my co-workers had their casual outdoor wedding reception catered by a local VA BBQ company and were really pleased. This was 5-6 years ago, though, so I have no idea if they would even still be around. I'll try to dig it up.

Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville MD has catered several office parties I've attended and done an outstanding job.

Here is one example per person:

For Pick up: $10.95

For Delivery: $11.95

Full Serve: $17.95

Mobile Pit: $20.95

Pulled Pork BBQ Smokehouse Dixie ChickenCarolina Slaw SaladRedskin Potato SaladAndy’s Famous BBQ BeansFresh Kaiser Rolls

Why don’t you contract our very own and talented members mdt, Jacques Gastreaux, Crescentfresh, agm? They have shown their expertise on this at the last pig roast picnic. Even bbq4me may consider it--his screen name says it after all. Maybe if you twist their arms enough, they could be willing to do some private catering for you on the side. :blink:

;):P:)

You did say "any suggestions"... :D

Of course, Johnny Rooks and Jamie Stachowski could give you leads, too. :D

We plan to have the cook-out in Rock Creek Park, so I would like a place that is close enough to deliver to us or for us to be able to pick it up without too much hassle.

And it actually WILL be for a casual wedding reception, so keep the suggestions coming!

Help - I need a BBQ caterer for a birthday party at a residence in Montgomery County in three weeks. Looking for either BBQ, Lamb Roast, Pig Roast or Luau style caterer to feed about 50 people at a laid-back, casual affair. Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Help - I need a BBQ caterer for a birthday party at a residence in Montgomery County in three weeks. Looking for either BBQ, Lamb Roast, Pig Roast or Luau style caterer to feed about 50 people at a laid-back, casual affair. Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Call Tom Caulfield from Chubby's - he's member "drsmoke" on this website (click), and would be happy to help you, I'm sure.

Two thoughts here...

Urban BBQ I believe caters. Not sure where you are in Monkey Cty but that may be convenient for you.

Also, for a lamb roast, the Greek Deli on 19th st does catering. That is some gooood lamb. And pork. And everything else! :D Since Kosta lives in the county, he may have other means to deliver aside from just the downtown area.

eta--quick search found this place. Looks intriguing enough to check out. They do backyard bbq's and luaus. Fusions Cuisine

Two thoughts here...

Urban BBQ I believe caters. Not sure where you are in Monkey Cty but that may be convenient for you.

Also, for a lamb roast, the Greek Deli on 19th st does catering. That is some gooood lamb. And pork. And everything else! :D Since Kosta lives in the county, he may have other means to deliver aside from just the downtown area.

Thanks... Love Urban BBQ, but they don't "cater"... I believe you have to go pick up the trays of food from them. I am looking for someone to come to my house and cook/roast the food on site. Any other recommendations???

Scott

Thanks... Love Urban BBQ, but they don't "cater"... I believe you have to go pick up the trays of food from them. I am looking for someone to come to my house and cook/roast the food on site. Any other recommendations???

Scott

check out my edited post...it looks like they provide cooking onsite.

Thanks!

Oh Scott why not call Vidalia and have Jeff and I cater the event?

we know pig!!!!!!!!!

Oh Scott why not call Vidalia and have Jeff and I cater the event?

we know pig!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention that it is a casual, laid-back affair??? $18/head and the gig -uh, I mean pig - is yours! I'll even throw in all the beer you can drink. :D

Scott

Would you believe that I still cannot find ANYONE to do a BBQ onsite for a backyard party for 45 people? Bueller.... Bueller???

The Cowboy Cafe in Arlington is in league with Fresh Lunch on a BBQ catering enterprise. I have had their BBQ items and they are very good, imho. You could give them a call at 703-243-8010, or call Fresh Lunch at 703-237-5550, and see if they can help you.

Would you believe that I still cannot find ANYONE to do a BBQ onsite for a backyard party for 45 people? Bueller.... Bueller???

45 people * $18/head = $810.

Kind of a low overall number for an onsite caterer, no?

I have to agree with DanielK. NQD and I have no catering experience, but we've done barbecues and pig roasts at my home for anywhere from 25 to 65 people. We've never wanted to do the math to figure out the cost per person (I just don't want to know), but $810 for 45 people sounds like a pretty good estimate of what we'd spend. That's shopping retail, so our costs would be a little higher than someone in the business would pay, but that's also with no transportation costs, no costs for plates, cups, flatware, etc., only the two of us doing all of the work (along with anyone who makes the mistake of getting here early), a long, leisurely clean-up and nobody getting paid. And a level of service that's fine if friends are cooking, but a little rough if you're paying for it. Your budget may need to be adjusted upwards.

I have to agree with DanielK. NQD and I have no catering experience, but we've done barbecues and pig roasts at my home for anywhere from 25 to 65 people. We've never wanted to do the math to figure out the cost per person (I just don't want to know), but $810 for 45 people sounds like a pretty good estimate of what we'd spend. That's shopping retail, so our costs would be a little higher than someone in the business would pay, but that's also with no transportation costs, no costs for plates, cups, flatware, etc., only the two of us doing all of the work (along with anyone who makes the mistake of getting here early), a long, leisurely clean-up and nobody getting paid. And a level of service that's fine if friends are cooking, but a little rough if you're paying for it. Your budget may need to be adjusted upwards.

Hi - The $18/head was fiction. It's what I would ask RJ to do it for because I know that he'd say no... even if I offered him all the beer he could drink. And all of his friends would be there :blink: BUT, while we're on topic, I am providing everything except the food... I will supply all of the beverages, plates, cups, tables, chairs, forks, knives, etc. I just need someone to bring food, set up, cook and serve. I'll let you know what I end up with. I can't believe Dan took that literally... :D

Well, that's the thing. I don't actually have a budget. I am trying to gather some competitive quotes to see what is out there since I don't know what's reasonable. I will do something and gladly pay for it once I figure out what is "in the ballpark" - if you have thoughts on the matter, I would love to hear them.

Well, that's the thing. I don't actually have a budget. I am trying to gather some competitive quotes to see what is out there since I don't know what's reasonable. I will do something and gladly pay for it once I figure out what is "in the ballpark" - if you have thoughts on the matter, I would love to hear them.

Scott call me at Vidalia I have options for you!!!!!!!!!!

Go Wings!!!

My fave BBQ in the area is Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville. Montgomery County might be pushing their catering area, although I honestly don't know. But they've got for my money the best BBQ in the state.

If nothing else, their online catering planner includes prices, so you could get an idea of what to expect for your dollar.

Andy Nelson's BBQ

Thanks for all of the input. It has been VERY helpful in getting quotes - which, by the way, have been coming in around $23-$25/person. I'll make a final post in a couple of weeks on who we go with and how it turns out.

Scott

Old Glory used to do onsite Q, check with them. Red hot and blue has pickup for picnics and such, Urban BBQ may also cater.

Since good Q takes time, I would think most places will be heating up pull pork and finishing off ribs on the grill. Perhaps cooking some dogs and burgers while you wait. Since that is the case, perhaps hiring some on site help off of craig's list and picking up the Q may be a way to go.

So, how did it turn out?

Well - I must say that I was blown away by the outcome. At the beginning of this cry for help, I got a message from RJ Cooper, the James Beard Award winning Chef at Vidalia, telling me that he would come to my house and roast a pig. Of course, I thought he was kidding - just having a bit of fun at my expense - you, know, I'd say "Oh, yes, please RJ, take a Saturday night off from Vidalia and come to my house and cook pig for my birthday" and he say, "Punked!" or some such sucker-punch remark.

But he was serious - really serious! Long, long, long story short, RJ Cooper showed up with a 90 pound pig, a "Pig Box", 100 lbs of charcoal and all of the traditional sides (collard greens, potato salad, beens, slaw, corn bread) and proceeded to blow the crowd away. All I had to do was give him cold beer and turn on the Red Wings game. It was truly the most memorable dining experience I have ever had! It was perfect.

Now - I did have a very good experience working with the nice people at Backyard BBQ and was pretty close to hiring them when RJ convinced me he was sincere. So, if you can't get Chef Cooper, I would certainly recommend reaching out to Anne-Marie at Backyard BBQ.

Thanks to everyone on this post for helping me out. I appreciate it! :D

Well - I must say that I was blown away by the outcome. At the beginning of this cry for help, I got a message from RJ Cooper, the James Beard Award winning Chef at Vidalia, telling me that he would come to my house and roast a pig. Of course, I thought he was kidding - just having a bit of fun at my expense - you, know, I'd say "Oh, yes, please RJ, take a Saturday night off from Vidalia and come to my house and cook pig for my birthday" and he say, "Punked!" or some such sucker-punch remark.

But he was serious - really serious! Long, long, long story short, RJ Cooper showed up with a 90 pound pig, a "Pig Box", 100 lbs of charcoal and all of the traditional sides (collard greens, potato salad, beens, slaw, corn bread) and proceeded to blow the crowd away. All I had to do was give him cold beer and turn on the Red Wings game. It was truly the most memorable dining experience I have ever had! It was perfect.

Now how many other James Beard Award winning chefs do you know who would happily drink beer, watch a game and cook a pig in your back yard?

Vidalia was my first DC "fine dining" experience when I moved here years ago, the place I choose for many client dinners and the restaurant where my husband and I had our first date. Quality and service never dissapoint and it's obviously a top-down philosophy. R.J. for President..wait a minute, that would mean he wouldn't be in the kitchen at Vidalia anymore. Foget I said that!

for future reference, my fellow firefighter friend and i have a part-time catering business where we do on-site barbequing, specializing in whole hogs. give us a call sometime, references available! 3FIREFIGHTERSANDAPIG 571-237-5085. scott