Finding Chemicals For Cooking?

jpschust

Most ice houses (suppliers) have dry ice for sale but a word of caution on the use of liquid nitrogen... It can fuck you up. I have seen it first hand. If you do find some, make sure its food grade and foremost, invest in safety equipment.
The quantity I'll be using of liquid nitrogen is very small and I've consulted on what I'll need for safety equipment, so I think I'm good on that front. I need to start this project with dry ice and liquid nitrogen is for a second part of it.

I'm going to figure someone in here knows this- I am trying to get my hands on some dry ice as well as the harder to find liquid nitrogen to try something I'm working on in the kitchen- any help?
Harris Teeter at Pentagon Row sells dry ice. I just saw the display (don't know what to call it) when I was there last week. It's in the front of the store. I saw it when I was leaving the checkout to exit the store.

OK- looks like ive got dry ice covered- thanks all. Any ideas for liquid nitrogen?

Not since we used to raid the dewars behind the high-energy physics lab on campus for dregs, but we also had access to proper handling equipment at the time. You doing the instant-ice-cream trick or something?

Have you tried the obvious industrial suppliers - Roberts Oxygen (most consumer-friendly, least-likely to carry), Air Products, or BOC Gases?

Talbots or Talberts or something on River Road in Bethesda, near the Whole Foods, has dry ice.

Elbe's in Wheaton is where we got our dry ice when the hurricane hit. (And it is Talberts...a local institution. About 25 years ago I worked at Talbots in White Flint and we would constantly have people calling us wanting to order kegs!)