Online Coffee Retailers

Walrus

I distinctly remember there being a thread that discussed everyone's preferred online coffee retailers, but I totally can't find it. Can anyone tell me what their favorite coffee retailer is, and why? I'm thinking of putting together a retirement care package for my parents, and my mom's a total coffee nut :blink:

For about a year now, I've been getting coffee from Dean's Beans. The coffee is good. The company only purchases from "villages and importers that are committed to Fair Trade and working towards better economic opportunity, improved health and nutrition in the villages."

They go far beyond Fair Trade and USDA Organic requirements, taking the economic and ecological vitality of the places they buy from into account, and the coffee is relatively inexpensive to boot.

Just two hours ago I had a cup from the local organization Grounds for Cause , and was very impressed. They gave me a bag of French roast that I'll probably grind and brew tomorrow, if not later today. If it's as good as the cup I had this morning I'm giving up Peets and Mayorga. Stay tuned - tasting notes to follow once I brew to my own specs.

centralcoffeeroasters.com in sperryville, that's what they serve at the Inn at LW

Totally agree, stopped in there Friday on the way to our farm in Etlan, stocked up for the house of guests, was glad this bunch left enough for me to bring home most of a bag of their Panama.

I'd like to put in a word for bird-friendly (i.e., shade grown) coffee. Right at the moment, certification is in a somewhat confused state, but Rainforest Alliance certification or certification by the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center are recognized standards. Finding coffee with Smithsonian certification is tough. Sometimes Mayorga carries some. A nice bonus is that pretty much all shade-grown coffee is also fair trade and/or organic. Not to mention that it tastes a whole lot better than sun-grown coffee. Locally, the Sanctuary coffee sold at WFM is Rainforest Alliance Certified and happens to be very good.

I can't do anything about the guilt associated with the carbon costs of dragging coffee beans around the world, as coffee won't grow here. But at least I can purchase coffee that has a lower impact on the environment where it is grown.

Ellen

Check out Coffee Review, a website that reviews coffees from many online retailers.

One of my favorites is Paradise Roasters, one of many linked on the Coffee Review site. I recently ordered two 14-ounce bags of Ethiopia Biloya Special, a coffee that received the highest rating that Coffee Review has given. Coffee Review rates coffee in much the same way that Parker rates wines, on a 100-point scale.

I've also ordered coffees from Intelligensia, Counterculture Coffees (where Murky Coffee gets their beans), and Willoughbys Coffees and Teas. All good and well worth the effort.

Julius Meinl coffee from Austria is truly amazing. Every time I have a cup I can't help saying -- yes, out loud -- "goddamn, this coffee is truly amazing."

Thanks very much for the link to Julius Meinl coffee. I had no idea it was available online. I have a good friend who would take on a pack of pitbulls armed only with a toothpick in order to satisfy his craving.

By the way, if any of you are true coffee nuts, meaning you roast your own beans, then you may want to check out Sweet Maria's.... I know a true coffee nut and he swears by them.

A couple in my neighborhood opened a place in Annandale called Beanetics, on Columbia Pike in the shopping center where Magruder's is/was. They roast coffee beans on site. I must admit I have not tried it yet, as we are Illy fans, but certainly plan to soon.

By the way, if any of you are true coffee nuts, meaning you roast your own beans, then you may want to check out Sweet Maria's.... I know a true coffee nut and he swears by them.

Have you done this, Pool Boy? I've been wanting to try it for years, but was put off by the odor after touring Mayorga's factory. Freshly roasted coffee beans smell wonderful; beans being roasted smell nasty.

Have you done this, Pool Boy? I've been wanting to try it for years, but was put off by the odor after touring Mayorga's factory. Freshly roasted coffee beans smell wonderful; beans being roasted smell nasty.

Nope. Too nerdy for me so far. I can only presently afford to be a nerd about one thing so far -- wine. Maybe some day. I am told it brings your coffee tasting to a whole new level.

A friend of mine roasts his own--using Sweet Maria's beans--but he can only do it on the outside porch, as his wife won't let him do it inside. I watched him roast a batch and there was surprised by the amount of smoke and odor generated. But it's fascinating to watch--you have to listen for the "first crack" and "second crack", then get the timing right as to when to stop. He gave me some of the beans he roasted and the coffee was first rate, better than anything I've bought locally.

centralcoffeeroasters.com in sperryville, that's what they serve at the Inn at LW

I finally had occasion to stop there yesterday, and was glad that they were still open (I got there 15 minutes before their posted closing time). I needed a caffeine-infusion for the drive back to D.C. and their Kenya AA hit the spot very nicely. And it only cost $1.00! Imagine that! I went in, said hello, and the proprietor said, "Help yourself, just throw a dollar into the basket." Gotta love country living - when was the last time you paid so little for a really good cup of coffee anywhere here in the U.S.A.?

I bought a couple of bags of beans to take home. It's a nice little place, you can see the roaster behind some glass. They seem to only be open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00-5:00.

They are as good a reason as any to visit Rappahannock County, Virginia, that's for sure. If you're anywhere near there (i.e. visiting Luray Caverns, Skyline Drive, Inn at Little Washington, Copperfox Distillery...) on a weekend, it's worth stopping by.

I really like counter culture coffee and ME Swing's, but I'd just go get Swing's at Whole Foods rather than mail order. For what it's worth, counterculturecoffee.com has a partnership with the Culinary Institute of America and is the bean of choice for Dolcezza, Baked and Wired, Murky, Big Bear, Tryst, and Open City. . . .

I really like counter culture coffee and ME Swing's, but I'd just go get Swing's at Whole Foods rather than mail order. For what it's worth, counterculturecoffee.com has a partnership with the Culinary Institute of America and is the bean of choice for Dolcezza, Baked and Wired, Murky, Big Bear, Tryst, and Open City. . . .
Does the 17th&G location of Swing's only have counter service, or do they sell beans as well?

Has anyone found a source for Decaf Sumatran that isn't overroasted? The Caribou in Herndon just closed, which means our local source for borderline acceptable beans is gone. We used Peets for several years, but they're really a little too roasted for our tastes.

Has anyone found a source for Decaf Sumatran that isn't overroasted? The Caribou in Herndon just closed, which means our local source for borderline acceptable beans is gone. We used Peets for several years, but they're really a little too roasted for our tastes.

You might try Lexington Coffee, a small company in southern Virginia. They have a decaf Sumatra, and while I have not tried it, I think their coffee in general is terrific.

Does the 17th&G location of Swing's only have counter service, or do they sell beans as well?
They sell beans. Only two or three kinds are also available at Whole Foods, and oddly enough, that "Best DC" grocery on U Street sells four of five types.

Not sure if this will help, but I had a great cup of brewed decaf this week at, of all places, the Dogfish Head Ale House in Seven Corners. It might be worth a shot to call and ask them where they get their decaf.

Incidentally.. Nick Cho is now selling his coffee online. Too bad the DC coffee business didn't work out so well for him. I presume it will be the same high quality as the Wrecking Ball that was available at select DC locations (Dolcezza) over the past year. http://www.wreckingballcoffee.com/ I've ordered a batch, but with the shipping/higher cost will probably stick with Qualia or Filter unless it's mind blowing.

Julius Meinl coffee from Austria is truly amazing. Every time I have a cup I can't help saying -- yes, out loud -- "goddamn, this coffee is truly amazing."

When I checked out their Chicago location, I was told that Leopold's Kafe in G'town now serves Julius Meinl. It was such a nice coffeeshop, with yummy baked goods and good coffee and tea selections. I really enjoyed my morning brew there. I can certainly see why it's amazing.

A couple in my neighborhood opened a place in Annandale called Beanetics, on Columbia Pike in the shopping center where Magruder's is/was. They roast coffee beans on site. I must admit I have not tried it yet, as we are Illy fans, but certainly plan to soon.

Beanetics is one of my favorite shops to frequent in Annandale when I am nearby. Their iced coffee hits the spot on a day like today and they sell the iced coffee concentrate to go in Ball's jars. You can't beat that!

This thread hasn't been active in a long time, but it was the best one I could find without starting a new thread. Just wondering if anyone is a member of Tonx? Really great concept, their PR & marketing is great, and their beans are really really good. I do think it ends up being a bit overpriced, but for folks who may not put too high of a premium on QPR, it's a convenient and fun option. I recently put my membership on hold because I was developing quite the stockpile. Not sure if I'll go back when what I have runs out or not. Will probably try out more local stuff first, but overall I've enjoyed being a member.

Anyway, all of the activity on the independent coffeehouse thread made me think of it and I just wondered if anyone else had joined and what they thought. If you're interested in joining, PM me and I'll refer you. :)