Looking for Verjus

DinerGirl

I was also looking for verjus for something awhile ago and never found it. Dean & Deluca does carry vincotto, which is similar (it's a bit sweeter apparently, but I'm still not sure I understand the difference fully). However, mdt later told me that he makes his own verjus by slowly reducing grape juice. Maybe he'll chime in about this...

I'm looking for a local source to buy verjus from; I'd prefer to buy something produced in the area, but I'd live with pretty much anything at this point. I'm trying to avoid mail-order, since our local post office is a study in incompetence and UPS is notortious for destroying anything fragile. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for a local source to buy verjus from; I'd prefer to buy something produced in the area, but I'd live with pretty much anything at this point.

There is a verjus that I've gotten at Wegman's--it's from Australia, of all places, called Maggie's. She's apparently written a book on its use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143000918/ref=cm_rdp_product. You might also check to see if it is available at Williams-Sonoma.

There is a verjus that I've gotten at Wegman's--it's from Australia, of all places, called Maggie's. She's apparently written a book on its use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143000918/ref=cm_rdp_product. You might also check to see if it is available at Williams-Sonoma.

I'll check Wegmann's..W&S has one on-line, but none of the DC area stores seem to have it in stock. *sigh* If only I could convince one of the local wineries to start making it.

I'm looking for a local source to buy verjus from; I'd prefer to buy something produced in the area, but I'd live with pretty much anything at this point. I'm trying to avoid mail-order, since our local post office is a study in incompetence and UPS is notortious for destroying anything fragile. Any thoughts?

She might know. (Email address.) Have you tried Rodman's?

Good morning,

I came across an interesting recipe a few weeks ago that called for an ingredient I had never heard of - verjus. I read that it is an early pressing of wine grapes and very tangy and sharp. They suggested substituting white grape juice and white wine vinegar if you can't locate verjus. I no longer live in the DC area but about 2 hours away in south central Pennsylvania; however, I get down to the DC area once every few months and often stock up on things I can't get locally (which is a lot :-)). Does anyone know of a place in Northern VA or perhaps Rockville or Bethesda where I can buy a bottle of verjus? I found a source online but the shipping was $15 which I am not willing to pay! thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Barb the Bee, Clearville, PA

Good morning,

I came across an interesting recipe a few weeks ago that called for an ingredient I had never heard of - verjus. I read that it is an early pressing of wine grapes and very tangy and sharp. They suggested substituting white grape juice and white wine vinegar if you can't locate verjus. I no longer live in the DC area but about 2 hours away in south central Pennsylvania; however, I get down to the DC area once every few months and often stock up on things I can't get locally (which is a lot :-)). Does anyone know of a place in Northern VA or perhaps Rockville or Bethesda where I can buy a bottle of verjus? I found a source online but the shipping was $15 which I am not willing to pay! thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Barb the Bee, Clearville, PA

Check out this thread. :angry: Sounds like Wegman's and Rodman's are the best options locally.

You might also want to look in Middle Eastern groceries for sour grape powder which is the grapes at a similar state for verjus making, dried and powdered. It is quite good and you would have to probably experiment with it reconstituting it with water for substitution. It should taste somewhat like a mild vinegar with winey overtones. Most packaged verjus product is hellishly expensive, in my opinion.

You might also want to look in Middle Eastern groceries for sour grape powder which is the grapes at a similar state for verjus making, dried and powdered. It is quite good and you would have to probably experiment with it reconstituting it with water for substitution. It should taste somewhat like a mild vinegar with winey overtones. Most packaged verjus product is hellishly expensive, in my opinion.

I think the new Cork Market on 14th St NW has verjus....

Rockville Pike is a veritable open-air Rodman's if lacking in charm.

Right next door to Joe's Noodle is Yekta where there are all sorts of hard-to-find goodies, including verjus. I am going to see if there is a topic dedicated to that particular store where I can report discoveries.