Zodiac BBQ, Kentlands - Menu Also Available Upstairs at Zodiac Grill - Closed

Apparently buoyed by their success in the former "Last Mango" location in Kentlands, the owners of Zodiac Grill opened "Zodiac BBQ" in the adjacent storefront a few months ago.

Perhaps they shouldn't have bothered. The "pulled pig sandwich on onion roll" had the consistency of a Sloppy Joe, with no chunks of pork, only shreds, and in any case mixed with its sauce to the extent that you could have substituted just about any protein source for texture. The babyback ribs were almost unbelievably dry and practically devoid of moisture, with the meat having taken on the chewy and translucent properties of jerky, except for a dried-on coating of sauce.

Very likely the worst purported approximation of barbeque that I've yet encountered. Bzzzzt. mad.gif

Bzzzzt. mad.gif

Bummer. That one's been on the list for us to try. Thanks for being the guinea pig. BTW, the restaurant now occupying the Last Mango space is Not Good. Mr P's on his way now to try Caspian. Hopefully there's some place in Kentlands that doesn't suck.

I tried Zodiac Grill shortly after it opened in the former Last Mango space. Never went back. The menu was too ambitious and the food quality suffered.

The Last Mango was pretty bad the one time I tried it.

Doughboys is the best option in Kentlands. It's supposed to reopen in June.

We used to enjoy frequenting the Last Mango and were disappointed to see it go. Eager to try its replacement, the Zodiac Grill, we went there for (what they call) the Sunday Brunch. It was anything but. The food was both uninspiring and lacked any sort of depth that would make me want to return. We will miss you, Last Mango.

This place closed years ago.

Not only did Zodiac BBQ close years ago, it was previously The Last Mango, then after it closed, it became, in order, Tony and James, 44 Sports Bar & Grill, and then Largent's.

This place is begging for Great American Restaurant Group, or *something*.

post-2-0-35071000-1457731634_thumb.png

Not only did Zodiac BBQ close years ago, it was previously The Last Mango, then after it closed, it became, in order, Tony and James, 44 Sports Bar & Grill, and then Largent's.

This place is begging for Great American Restaurant Group, or *something*.

Pretty sure the first place was Last Mango.  Its a shame nothing has survived there.  It is a good space.