Palisades Pizzeria - Pizza and, Erm, Clam Bar on MacArthur Blvd - Closed

I live right up the street and take the boys there when they just have to have 'regular' pizza. If I use Comet as a reference for New Haven style, then no, this place is nothing like that. IMHO, the crust taste like cardboard, is thicker than I like. Overall, I'd eat it if I was jonesing for a slice, didn't want to drive and had the kids. One bonus is that if you have the kids they at least serve ice cream and if you don't wind up liking the pizza, BlackSalt and Marvelous Market are both next door and Kotabuki is across the street.

Their slices are very large and they really look authentic (NY). The flavor is inconsistent. I have had some great slices there and some not so great slices.

When they are on. they are great. When they are off it is cardboard. I do not know enough of who makes or manages to know why or when such a variance.

They do make make many variations (toppings) and everything is always sold by the slice ala old style NY. Wish they were always on and they would be one of the best in the area, but until then - Too inconsistent to be a top ten.

The other thing is if you are going to try them, please be careful. There are speed cameras in this area (No slice even at its best is worth $100).

I live right up the street

Hey, we're neighbors!

The other thing is if you are going to try them, please be careful. There are speed cameras in this area (No slice even at its best is worth $100).

The speed camera is next to the Georgetown Reservoir, about a block away from the light adjacent to The Lab School (the big red castle-y looking buildings at the intersection of MacArthur Blvd. and Reservoir Rd.). There are painted lines on the tarmac leading up to and away from the camera. The speed limit is 25 mph. We drive by it frequently, and I often have to remind my husband to slow down before we get to it.

As far as Palisades Pizza and Clam Bar is concerned: it is owned by the same man (his last name is Kofoed) who owns the Georgetown Bagelry. When that strip of stores was built, I was thrilled about Marvelous Market coming in. I can't say the same about this place. His stated goal was to bring the Ocean City boardwalk experience to the neighborhood, or something approximating that. Yick. I say eat beach food at the beach, if you must. The pizza is overpriced, especially for what it is. They are miserly with toppings. They gave up on the fried clams for a long time. Their web site indicates that they still serve them. Who knows? If you want fried clams--go to BlackSalt, where they are fresh and excellent. Otherwise, just do Mrs. Paul's at home.

From what I've observed, the place is popular only with the under-12 set. How it has survived this long is a mystery.