La Casita Pupuseria, Maryland-Based Salvadoran Mini-Chain

We finally got around to checking out La Casita, a pupuseria and carryout in a tiny little strip near the corner of Piney Branch Road and Dale Drive. The pupusas mixtas had a nice little crunch to the outside, creamy beans, and good curtido. Carne Asada was respectable and the grilled shell-on jumbo shrimp, Camarones a la Plancha, were much better than expected. All Platos de La Casita come with yellow rice studded with tiny pieces of carrot, and either pureed and rather soupy refried red beans or a surprisingly fresh salad. We ordered Enchiladas Salvadorenas (corn tortillas fried until very crisp and topped with beans, queso seco, and curtido) on a whim and we wouldn't get them again; they were greasy and dull.

The store has an extensive selection of frescos tropicales and liquidos that bears exploring, and they offer Atol de Elote, a hot corn drink that has me curious. Two platos, two pupusas, and two enchiladas came to $21.00.

La Casita

8214 Piney Branch Road

Silver Spring, MD 20910

301-588-6656

(They offer the usual beans, cheese, pork and combination pupusas but next time I'd like to try loroco.)

I stopped in and ordered to-go pupusas and fried plantains from the La Cosecha (Union Market area) branch of La Casita Pupuseria.  They have a small stand at the back La Cosecha. 

For $11 you can get a mix and match trio of pupusas, they survived the car ride home nicely.  The fried plantains were good, although the bottom of the take out container was very oily.  The curtido, creme, and salsa were all fine.  The pupusas are made to order, so there was about a 10 minute wait for the food. 

La Casita is a good option if you are walking around the Union Market area.  

• Like 1