Splash, Adams Morgan - Belly Flopped.

from Linda Roth's monthly The Latest Dish...

In August, acclaimed "bar chef" Derek Brown plans to open Splash, a daiquiri bar in Adams Morgan on 18th Street in the spot that used to be Santa Rosa Seafood Restaurant. Splash combines the best of Fat Tuesday and Hooters – casually themed with curious décor and décolletage. His partner is the former alcoholic beverage regulation administration auditor, D`maz Lumukanda.

:angry:

Splash combines the best of Fat Tuesday and Hooters – casually themed with curious décor and décolletage.

This is a joke, right? I mean, it's Derek and all, but I can't shake the vision of a row of giant alcoholic Slurpee machines behind the bar and waitresses in plastic coconut bikini tops. Daytona Beach? Sure. D.C.? Hmmm ....

Oh wait, this is Adams Morgan. The place would make a killing :angry:

Seriously, any more details? I'm imagining they're playing for something towards the high end of the hipster irony scale. Whether or not that is worse than the real thing is all in the execution.

Just going off of the description that Derrick is hoping for the place to be, I don't think I will be heading out there any time soon. It sounds like he just got a copy of the Coyote Ugly business plan and decided to try to run with it, adding waterbeds and making it a daiquiri-themed bar.

Just going off of the description that Derrick is hoping for the place to be, I don't think I will be heading out there any time soon. It sounds like he just got a copy of the Coyote Ugly business plan and decided to try to run with it, adding waterbeds and making it a daiquiri-themed bar.
Plus, he doesn't seem to know how formidable an opponent he will have in Brian Weaver. Lotsa luck, pal.

I can't shake the vision of a row of giant alcoholic Slurpee machines behind the bar and waitresses in plastic coconut bikini tops.

Looks like I was sadly not far off!! The fact it's Derrick makes me feel much better about that though.

There's an approximately 13% chance that this place will open as described (or at all) after the ANC digs their claws in.

upstairs will be "adult oriented" with three waterbeds

Wonder how much flood insurance costs in D.C.? They'll go through 2 or 3 a year, whether by accident or 2 AM rum-fueled mischeviousness.

" But he said his biggest attraction will be the 'sexiest women in town.'

Brown has already started his push with a competition on his Web site to lure the "sexiest" female bartenders."

Excellent! Just the opportunity I was looking for to support my Citronelle habit. :angry:

Has this place been done in before it opened? I drive by almost daily as I live nearby and I've recently noticed that the awnings that were put up previously are now gone. The exterior looks like it hasn't been tended to in quite some time...hmmmmmm...did the ANC shut em down?

Has this place been done in before it opened? I drive by almost daily as I live nearby and I've recently noticed that the awnings that were put up previously are now gone. The exterior looks like it hasn't been tended to in quite some time...hmmmmmm...did the ANC shut em down?

Not sure what happened, but Splash never opened, and is now Sawah Diner.

(I'm not entirely sure of this, because Sawah's address is 2222 18th St., and Spash's was supposed to be 2224 18th St., but I think Sawah might be a double-wide.)