Gerard Pangaud Bistro - Closed For Now.

Gerard's Place is closing shortly. Gerard Pangaud will be staying on at L'Academie de Cuisine, but will be co-owner of Adeline, named after Gerard's granddaughter, in the same space. The menu will be in place in late September, and similar to what Culinary Institute of America does with Escoffier, Gerard will be using his L'Academie students in both the front- and the back-of-the-house. A chef de cuisine has not yet been named, but Gerard will be there himself at least one night a week. I just got off the phone with him, and he's very excited. Adeline will be a modern-day bistro with entrees priced between $18 and $25.

Congratulations, Gerard!

Cheers,

Rocks.

From "The List" [i'm on it]:

Gerard Pangaud's Bistro - The man behind Gerard's Place is currently serving as the head instructor of the professional Culinary Arts Program at L'Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg, MD. He also has returned to the revamped Gerard's, now named Gerard Pangaud's Bistro. He'll bring in students from L'Academie to staff and assist with the running of the restaurant. Look for traditional French bistro dishes like pommes frites and pate en croute. (915 15th Street, NW; 202.737.4445

No real additional info here, but the fact that it was mentioned under the "Openings" section of The List implies it will be opening soon -- I think

I am Gerard and I want to clarify some points:

I already changed the menu and we are doing a smooth transition for several reasons.

The building is being sold and the landlord delayed the release of the funds agreed upon the extension of the lease. So the the construction is delayed.

The canopy is ordered and the restaurant will be named Gerard Pangaud Bistro not Adeline.

This week I am in vacation from the school and I am training people.

I will be at the restaurant on a regular base especially for dinner.

The price of he entrees is between 18 and 28 dollars.

I kept the Foie Gras on the menu (it is bistro food look at l'Amis Louis)

It is my food, the food I love and I cook at home and my mother was cooking when I grew up.Just using good ingredients and cook them well.

If you are looking for very imaginative and sophisticated you will be disappointed if you are looking for good and REAL food you will enjoy your experience.

So in many ways it is open and I want a smooth period where my staff is adjusting.

I hope to see you soon all of you.

Gerard

Gerard

Has anyone tried yet? Since watching Top Chef last night. I have the foie gras jiggers. I am thinking about going tonight or tomorrow. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I already changed the menu and we are doing a smooth transition for several reasons.

The building is being sold and the landlord delayed the release of the funds agreed upon the extension of the lease. So the the construction is delayed.

The canopy is ordered and the restaurant will be named Gerard Pangaud Bistro not Adeline.

This week I am in vacation from the school and I am training people.

I will be at the restaurant on a regular base especially for dinner.

It is my food, the food I love and I cook at home and my mother was cooking when I grew up.Just using good ingredients and cook them well.

If you are looking for very imaginative and sophisticated you will be disappointed if you are looking for good and REAL food you will enjoy your experience.

So in many ways it is open and I want a smooth period where my staff is adjusting.

I hope to see you soon all of you.

Gerard

Here's why I love this Board. If you have a question, you can get the answer from the source. That's about as inside as it gets.

I loved Gerard's Place, and I will frequent the Bistro liberally.

Keep up the good work, Gerard!

Not that the food isn't worth it -- I don't know, I've never been -- but calling a place that must cost 75 bucks a head (minimum) for dinner and wine and features an $87.00 tasting menu a "bistro" does indeed stretch the meaning of that term. Someone who hadn't looked over the menu beforehand might find themselves a touch surprised when the check arrives.

Not that the food isn't worth it -- I don't know, I've never been -- but calling a place that must cost 75 bucks a head (minimum) for dinner and wine and features an $87.00 tasting menu a "bistro" does indeed stretch the meaning of that term. Someone who hadn't looked over the menu beforehand might find themselves a touch surprised when the check arrives.

Yes, I was caught off guard when I opened the menu. We were looking for a cheap night out.

And not to pile on, but entrees range from $25-29.50, which someone who read this thread and saw them advertised as being between $18-25 and subsequently $18-28, might find a bit disappointing. Those prices put it closer in price category to the Bistro at Eve than they do Central/Cafe du Parc.

. . .

. . .

Gerard

I have not been, but reading this post and the menu is starting to really piss me off. Either this statement from 2 weeks ago was false advertising or the menu online is wrong. Because the menu lists entrees (for lunch and dinner) as between $25 and $29.50.

I have not been, but reading this post and the menu is starting to really piss me off. Either this statement from 2 weeks ago was false advertising or the menu online is wrong. Because the menu lists entrees (for lunch and dinner) as between $25 and $29.50.

Maybe he was thinking in Euros...

Wow you have some really thin skin if this is all that it takes to piss you off. Yes it appears that currently the scale that Mr. Pangaud quoted has changed, but that could be explained by many factors that do not include false advertising. Menus change and so do the prices that are on them. Might there be a possibility that what was offered for $18 was not moving so they took it off and replaced it with something that cost a little more? Could it be that after starting this venture the price structure that was anticipated became untenable? Could it be a reflection of seasonal changes effecting the cost of ingredients? Nope it has to be either fraud or a mistake.

Wow you have some really thin skin if this is all that it takes to piss you off. Yes it appears that currently the scale that Mr. Pangaud quoted has changed, but that could be explained by many factors that do not include false advertising. Menus change and so do the prices that are on them. Might there be a possibility that what was offered for $18 was not moving so they took it off and replaced it with something that cost a little more? Could it be that after starting this venture the price structure that was anticipated became untenable? Could it be a reflection of seasonal changes effecting the cost of ingredients? Nope it has to be either fraud or a mistake.
Not disputing my current extremely low trigger-point, but 5 of the 7 offered entrees are either at or above the $28 amount that was quoted as the max (and the appetizer/dessert prices are consistent with the higher pricing). If such large changes had become necessary so soon after this price announcement, I believe an update would have been appropriate.

Might there be a possibility that what was offered for $18 was not moving so they took it off and replaced it with something that cost a little more?
(My emphasis) A little more? There's a big difference between $18-28 and $25-29.50.
Could it be that after starting this venture the price structure that was anticipated became untenable? Could it be a reflection of seasonal changes effecting the cost of ingredients? Nope it has to be either fraud or a mistake.
Trying to wrap my head around seasonal changes as triggering the entraordinary jump in food costs...do brussels sprouts and butternut squash cost more than ripe heirloom tomatoes? Maybe he's putting truffles on everything? And not accurately forecasting the costs of the new venture could be fairly described as a "mistake." (Note that I am not suggesting that's what has happened here.)

And agree with Waitman that these are not "bistro" prices.

And agree with Waitman that these are not "bistro" prices.
Eve has similar price points in their "Bistro." The word is being used more and more by high-end restaurants when they open their 'Mini-Me:' Bouchon, Beck, Central, and Eve all call themselves brasseries or bistros, when in fact you probably wouldn't wear jeans, eat off butcher paper, or walk out paying less than $60 a head in any of them. Not saying that is bad or good, but the word "bistro" certainly doesn't mean what it used to.

If such large changes had become necessary so soon after this price announcement, I believe an update would have been appropriate.
Of course he has nothing else going on in his life so we should expect him to jump right on making changes to his previous posts. As for calling it a bistro and not charging bistro prices, really who cares, if he wanted to call it a cafeteria and charge $40 an entree it wouldn't really matter, the restaurant's prices are listed on the website, and I am willing to guess there might even be a menu posted next to the door. If it upsets you so much that they call themselves a bistro but are charging restaurant prices then don't go, but getting upset about it just seems silly to me.

Eve has similar price points in their "Bistro." The word is being used more and more by high-end restaurants when they open their 'Mini-Me:' Bouchon, Beck, Central, and Eve all call themselves brasseries or bistros, when in fact you probably wouldn't wear jeans, eat off butcher paper, or walk out paying less than $60 a head in any of them. Not saying that is bad or good, but the word "bistro" certainly doesn't mean what it used to.
True, true. Although to be fair, Beck calls itself a "brasserie" which implies it's a little more high-class than a bistro.

The menu can be seen here. And yes, most entrees are near $30.

After two years, Gerard Pangaud is leaving L'Academie de Cuisine - a tight student-loan situation has forced class cancellation, and it made no sense for L'Academie to keep him on the payroll given that there was nothing to teach.

The good news for diners is that beginning next Monday, Gerard will be back at Gerard Pangaud Bistro full-time. He'll be re-doing the menu, making it into a "real bistro menu" with no entree priced over $25 and most priced in the $20-22 range. It's a fairly complex story as to why this didn't happen before, but it seems to have been somewhat out of Gerard's control - no longer.

"I wish I could charge less than $20, but the cost of food lately has made a big jump," he said.

Welcome back, Gerard! It sounds like the potential of Gerard Pangaud Bistro may now be achievable - much of your success may hinge upon a good wine by-the-glass program and corkage policy. (Just ask if you need any help or advice - hint hint hint!)

Cheers,

Rocks.

After two years, Gerard Pangaud is leaving L'Academie de Cuisine - a tight student-loan situation has forced class cancellation, and it made no sense for L'Academie to keep him on the payroll given that there was nothing to teach.

The good news for diners is that beginning next Monday, Gerard will be back at Gerard Pangaud Bistro full-time. He'll be re-doing the menu, making it into a "real bistro menu" with no entree priced over $25 and most priced in the $20-22 range. It's a fairly complex story as to why this didn't happen before, but it seems to have been somewhat out of Gerard's control - no longer.

"I wish I could charge less than $20, but the cost of food lately has made a big jump," he said.

Welcome back, Gerard! It sounds like the potential of Gerard Pangaud Bistro may now be achievable - much of your success may hinge upon a good wine by-the-glass program and corkage policy. (Just ask if you need any help or advice - hint hint hint!)

Cheers,

Rocks.

Wow--good news and bad news...I just took a fish class at L'Academie and was fortunate enough to have Chef Panguad as my instructor. I was hoping to find more classes that he was teaching, but I'm happy to have had that one opportunity. And McPherson is not that far away that I hope I can swing by for a taste soon!

Wow--good news and bad news...I just took a fish class at L'Academie and was fortunate enough to have Chef Panguad as my instructor. I was hoping to find more classes that he was teaching, but I'm happy to have had that one opportunity. And McPherson is not that far away that I hope I can swing by for a taste soon!

Has anyone visited since Chef Panguad resumed kichen duties? I see on their website that there is no corkage fee Monday-Friday. That is an appealing policy.