Cedarbrook Farm, Kearneysville, WV

mdt

Their scrapple is delicious! Had it with fresh Belgian waffles this morning.

Cedarbrook Farm will return to the Dupont Market tomorrow, August 27. We will have all cuts of pork from our pasture raised Tamworth hogs except bacon and ham slices (steaks). We will have bacon (both regular and nitrate free) as well as ham slices next Sunday, September 3. Thereafter, our market appearances will be irregular (we are sharing a spot with some other vendors) until later in the fall.

David

Cedarbrook Farm

Jowls jowls jowls, I'm getting some jowls. :P
;) To cure* or cured?

I've been trying to get my paws on some guanciale for over a year now and wasn't happy with the stuff from Pennsylvania that I finally tracked down. Didn't even cross my mind to ask...

*Methinks a DR bartering service is in order.

;) To cure* or cured?

I've been trying to get my paws on some guanciale for over a year now and wasn't happy with the stuff from Pennsylvania that I finally tracked down. Didn't even cross my mind to ask...

*Methinks a DR bartering service is in order.

To cure. I think I'm going to repurpose the (now empty) cheese fridge and see if I can create a good environment for hanging/drying them after they go through the cure. Just saying that sentence makes me happy..."I'm repurposing my cheese fridge for hanging some jowls" hahaha

Nathan Anda, the chef at Tallula, has some fantastic smoked Guanciale, for the record. The man is doing incredible things with pork over there. I had some of the cinnamon-cured version at the Stone dinner a couple weeks back, and it stole the show. Was the inspiration for finding me some jowls of my own.

ETA: let's wait to see how it turns out before we start any bartering :P

Many of you already know from other posts that Cedarbrook has become my go-to pork supplier. I mostly buy entire shoulders and then either braise them whole, or carve em up and grind them for sausagemaking, but I've also had their sausage and their pork belly. All delicious.

Today I put 4 pork livers into a cure, 2 from Union Meat, 2 from Cedarbrook. The Cedarbrook ones are massive (3.06 and 3.69 pounds) and the Union Meat ones are decidedly smaller (I didn't weigh, but easily down in the 2lb range). Going off Fergus's recipe, I'll be curing them for two weeks, then drying for 3+. Will report back, in the great liver-off of our generation.

Yeah, I must be a fancy restaurant 'cause all the food at dinner tonight was sold to me by hungover friends whose farms wind up in the fine print on restaurant menus last Sunday morning, except for the broccoli from New Morning where they seem to run a tighter sort of ship.

But the standout, as it so often is, was the bone-in pork loin that old Dave from Cedarbrook sold me. I can barely remember my kids' names -- and there are only two -- so I can't keep track of which farmer is selling which heritage swine, but Dave's heritage swine matches a standout -- though slightly refined -- flavor with a texture like might approximate satin if satin was a little more dirty and a little less prissy. If Lady GaGa had been wearing Dave's pig instead of grocery store cow, she'd probably still be wearing it. That's how awesome it is.

But don't take my word for it. The guy from Eola buys it by the hogshead, too.

We're turning the leftovers into Cubanos this weekend. Life is good.

Yeah, I must be a fancy restaurant 'cause all the food at dinner tonight was sold to me by hungover friends whose farms wind up in the fine print on restaurant menus last Sunday morning, except for the broccoli from New Morning where they seem to run a tighter sort of ship.

But the standout, as it so often is, was the bone-in pork loin that old Dave from Cedarbrook sold me. I can barely remember my kids' names -- and there are only two -- so I can't keep track of which farmer is selling which heritage swine, but Dave's heritage swine matches a standout -- though slightly refined -- flavor with a texture like might approximate satin if satin was a little more dirty and a little less prissy. If Lady GaGa had been wearing Dave's pig instead of grocery store cow, she'd probably still be wearing it. That's how awesome it is.

But don't take my word for it. The guy from Eola buys it by the hogshead, too.

We're turning the leftovers into Cubanos this weekend. Life is good.

David's pigs are simply amazing! The breed is Tamworth. We do in fact buy all his heads and hearts every slaughter (THANK YOU DAVID!). They provided us with all your favorites, heart & jowl confit, chicken fried tongue, brain torts, crispy ears, croquettes. In addition, we cure his bellies and smoke them in house and feature them on our bunch bacon menu. We also pick up livers, shoulders, ham, kidneys, etc. . . from time to time. David is my primary pork source and there's a damn good reason why! I think David feeds his pigs better than I eat, but I eat them so it's kinda of a confusing twisted circle. I saw David this morning and his running out of pig fast, his next slaughter won't be around until October 10th so get while you can! He's at Dupont and the Thursday market. I picked up 25# of shoulder and 15# of fat back to get some salumi started today! oink oink my good man.