Bricks Tavern and Park Bench Pub, Cleveland Park - Bricked, Parked, and Benched

I didn't see any progress when I walked by on Sunday. You can see in the windows, and there are the old chairs from the Bricks era scattered haphazzardly. A few bottles and cans sat abandoned on the bar.

I felt like shouting 'come on people, wherever you are you should be working on this space!'

Yeah, I was confused because no work seems to have been done.  Whats up people?  Is it back on the market, or what?  And while we're on the topic, does anyone know what is moving in to the space that used to be the park bench pub?

Well, I know someone who could use a bigger bar area...

Well, I know someone who could use a bigger bar area...

re: Park Bench. The landlord is looking for a tenant to take the whole space, both the basement and the glass enclosed pub. At present, there is an operator interested in opening a tavern but no final deal has been reached.

Re Bricks: As far as I know, there is a new owner of the space. I have not noticed a lot of action going on but the mail is picked up every once in a while. There was a liquor license renewal notice up but it was for the old wnership. I have not noticed any new license posting but I am not checking it out too closely.

While we would love to have a bigger bar area, we first need to get up and on our feet financially before looking to expand in any way. And so far our bar is always quite available before 7:30 or so. In fact, dining early at Dino is really easy. Its at 8:30 that it can be a crush.

Here's what the washingtonpost.com Going Out Gurus had to say about it on their chat this afternoon:

Cleveland Park: Fritz - Any word on when the Cleveland Park Bar and Grill is going to open? It would be such a waste of that rooftop if they dont get it open this year. Also is Atomic still having a hard time moving into the Park Bench space?

Fritz: I agree. It's been sold to the owners of Vida, and they said they're working on it (no timetable, though). I wish they'd hurry up.

Atomic is still negotiating with the Park Bench owners about rent and space issues -- and I've heard a rumor that the above-ground space on Ordway is a sticking point, but can't confirm that.

You're correct, hillvalley. I walked by on my way to Aroma on Sunday night and noticed that it was open for business. It looks EXACTLY the same from the sidewalk as Bricks. Perhaps things (e.g., the food, the drinks, the service) are different from the inside? I'm not sure I am brave enough to find out.

You're correct, hillvalley.  I walked by on my way to Aroma on Sunday night and noticed that it was open for business.  It looks EXACTLY the same from the sidewalk as Bricks.  Perhaps things (e.g., the food, the drinks, the service) are different from the inside?  I'm not sure I am brave enough to find out.

They are open right now. Soft opening. DOn't really know anything about the new operators of the former Bricks. They had to do a fair amount of work on some structural elements I hear. They had a soft opening over the wekend but I have yet to hear any feedback. I think some of my waiters were there.

Park Bench is still a few weeks away. Last I heard they are still working with the local powers that be over the enclosed glass bar on the Ordway side but they have cleaned up and spruced up the basement part. Lots of big screens etc. The owners have a couple of bars in Annapolic and Baltimore. They seem to be nice guys. Sports bar as well.

Edited by deangold

I will be thrilled if and when the little ground-level section of the Park Bench Pub on Ordway re-opens. Although I'd barely gotten a chance to get to know the place and its staff before they closed last spring, it quickly became one of my favorite places in town. An excellent place to grab a few beers after work.