Sunrise Deli, Dirt-Cheap Carryout Downtown

The neighborhood around 13th & L isn't the greatest for lunch options, but I've got a new most-frequently-visited place.

In the office building at 1220 L Street (southeast corner of the intersection), there's a hole in the wall carryout called Sunrise Deli.

Folks, no item is over $4.99. And I've never even ordered anything that expensive.

Before I continue, I should say that nothing here is better than what you could make for yourself at home. The heart of the operation is just a simple griddle.

But the selection is pretty good (mostly sandwiches), and as I said, the prices are extremely reasonable. Case in point: A grilled cheese sandwich ($1.60) and small soup ($1.45) is less than $3.50 after taxes. A stuffed tuna melt with bacon is $3.99. The gyro and a few other subs clock in at $4.99.

The soups they appear to offer every day are chicken noodle, chicken rice, bean with bacon, and chili.

They also do breakfast, where you can get a sandwich for ~$1.50, or just toast and jelly for 60 cents.

Oh, and they have a small selection of pantyhose, too.

The neighborhood around 13th & L isn't the greatest for lunch options, but I've got a new most-frequently-visited place.

In the office building at 1220 L Street (southeast corner of the intersection), there's a hole in the wall carryout called Sunrise Deli.

Folks, no item is over $4.99. And I've never even ordered anything that expensive.

Before I continue, I should say that nothing here is better than what you could make for yourself at home. The heart of the operation is just a simple griddle.

But the selection is pretty good (mostly sandwiches), and as I said, the prices are extremely reasonable. Case in point: A grilled cheese sandwich ($1.60) and small soup ($1.45) is less than $3.50 after taxes. A stuffed tuna melt with bacon is $3.99. The gyro and a few other subs clock in at $4.99.

The soups they appear to offer every day are chicken noodle, chicken rice, bean with bacon, and chili.

They also do breakfast, where you can get a sandwich for ~$1.50, or just toast and jelly for 60 cents.

Oh, and they have a small selection of pantyhose, too.

How much for the pantyhose? Do they have control-top?

How much for the pantyhose? Do they have control-top?

I have to say I'm not personally qualified to answer that question!

But I did discover they have a cache of salads in their refrigerators -- a filling side salad (with cucumbers, tomato, egg, broccoli and cheese!) only costs $2.19.

I have to say I'm not personally qualified to answer that question!

But I did discover they have a cache of salads in their refrigerators -- a filling side salad (with cucumbers, tomato, egg, broccoli and cheese!) only costs $2.19.

I just passed a Sunrise Deli today on the SouthEast corner of Farragut Square. I didn't go in but was curious if it was a chain or a completely different restaurant.

I just passed a Sunrise Deli today on the SouthEast corner of Farragut Square. I didn't go in but was curious if it was a chain or a completely different restaurant.

I do not think they are affiliated (no facts, just a hunch). Isn't the Farragut location one of those deli/pay-by-the-pound-salad-bar places?

The one I go to is really a hole in the wall run by three people, possibly a family. In fact, the only signage calling it the Sunrise Deli is on the back door, which you can only see from inside the office building. (And I think maybe it's on the electronic readout of their ATM.)

I do not think they are affiliated (no facts, just a hunch). Isn't the Farragut location one of those deli/pay-by-the-pound-salad-bar places?

The Sunrise Cafe at I and Connecticut is indeed one of those places

The Sunrise Cafe at L and 17th is just a deli with kebabs and the like, and it's a pretty decent and cheap one, though not nearly as cheap as the one you're reporting.

apparently "Sunrise" is a name that brings people in. who knew?

After several months, I have finally found a sandwich here that is truly greater than the sum of its parts. The ribeye steak and cheese, with everything on it, is only $5.49 after tax. Eat your heart out, Subway and Quizno's.

I've been here several times during the past month due to meetings at DOJ down the street. The ribeye steak and cheese is now $5.99 but the description above remains the same. Mmmm.

The pastrami and reuben are so-so -- serviceable, obviously several notches below Deli City.

I've been here several times during the past month due to meetings at DOJ down the street. The ribeye steak and cheese is now $5.99 but the description above remains the same. Mmmm.

The pastrami and reuben are so-so -- serviceable, obviously several notches below Deli City.

I still work in the building, but don't go as often as I used to. Otherwise, I would have major artery damage by now. They've raised their prices in the last year, but I still occasionally enjoy my grilled cheese and tomato for $2.41 after tax.

I still work in the building, but don't go as often as I used to. Otherwise, I would have major artery damage by now. They've raised their prices in the last year, but I still occasionally enjoy my grilled cheese and tomato for $2.41 after tax.

There are currently two Sunrise Delis in Washington - one at 1220 L Street NW, and one on 1200 H Street NW. Does anyone know if these are the same ownership?

NB I'm not talking about the Sunrise Cafe at 1622 I Street NW discussed above.

There are currently two Sunrise Delis in Washington - one at 1220 L Street NW, and one on 1200 H Street NW. Does anyone know if these are the same ownership?

NB I'm not talking about the Sunrise Cafe at 1622 I Street NW discussed above.

Aren't there also a number of Sunrise Assisted Living facilities in the area? Can anyone say Soylent Green?