Bumblefish, on King and N. Washington Street, "Neo-Asian" Fast Food in Old Town - Closed

I've only had carryout from there once, and it's been a while, so my information is not too reliable. As I recall, it was OK, not great, and the rice was pretty 'stiff' - maybe from being in the refrigerator too long. My +1 has been a couple times since then for lunch and had positive things to say. He's had some of the sushi and said it was decent, but maybe not quite as good as Whole Foods or Kotobuki. It's a bit more expensive that Kotobuki, but certainly more convenient if you live near Old Town.

It looks fast-foody
Well, they do say on their website that they are "Neo-Asian Fast Food". :blink:

I actually shot down there this afternoon. Sushi was made to order so the rice was still warmish...a HUGE plus for me! I cannot stand refrigerated rice (or any other starches, for that matter). I only had the shrimp spring rolls and the spicy tuna roll. Spring rolls (3 large rolls) tasted and looked freshly made but were mostly unseasoned rice noodles and thus they were pretty bland. I'm also pretty sure the accompanying sauce was peanut butter thinned with water and a touch of soy sauce, at least that's what it tasted like. Spicy tuna roll (8 pcs.) was surprisingly good. It was made to order very quickly. The tuna was a bit overseasoned with the spicy sauce, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The spicy sauce was pretty rip-roaring hot and had a nice oniony zip to it. Service was really friendly and extremely fast. I was in and out in under 10 minutes with about 10 other people ahead of me in line. I left happy, especially after spending only $10. I would definitely return.

My lunch here wasn't very good. I ordered a Dragon roll (California roll with eel), and they gave me a premade one from the refrigerated case. The rice was cold, and the roll didn't have much flavor (probably because of its temperature). They also advertise tart yogurt. I ordered a cup. It was a little tart, but the bigger problem was that it was full of ice crystals which gave it a grainy and crunchy texture.

Thanks to an alert reader for this message (things like this are *always* appreciated!)

"Don, I was perusing the VA dining guide, and noticed that you had Bumblefish listed in Alexandria. Bumblefish has closed (about 3-4 months ago), and a woman's boutique clothing store has opened in its place. Thought you would like to know."

• Like 1