Hudson, 21st & M Streets NW in the old David Greggory Space - Closed

From what I saw last week, it was already open. Unless that was just a soft opening.

It actually opened last nite and my daughter and I stopped in for dinner. She, a much tougher critic than I'll ever be, proclaimed it "terrific!" and repeated her evaluation this morning at breakfast. Highlights were an outstanding matzoh ball soup - probably the best I've had in a DC restaurant, a very juicy and well seasoned burger, and a perfectly cooked and tender veal chop. The renovation was very well done and there was great energy in the room. The space looks chic and cool, but not at all cold. My law office is a block away, and I would frequently have lunch and post work cocktails at David Gregory, so I'm personally thrilled that Hudson has opened. For alfresco dining fans like myself, they've added several hi end heat lamps to the lovely expansive patio that faces 21st St. I'm sure I'll be visiting regularly.

...I would frequently have lunch and post work cocktails at David Gregory, so I'm personally thrilled that Hudson has opened...

David Greggory had great happy hour specials, so I hope that will continue here. Did you get a sense of a bar menu or a desire to continue that? I was optimistic they would when it was reported that Greggory Hill was going to stay on, but now that he's no longer on board, I fear the noteworthy happy hour specials may be out as well.

Nothing much on the website as yet.

Hudson, for now, is staying open extremely late - their sign says they're open until midnight on Sundays, and 2:45 AM on weekends. Several places have tried this (Sette Osteria comes to mind), and I'll be curious to see how long they can sustain it.

My early impression is that the staff is exhausted from the restaurant opening, which just happened last week. There are small glitches that will be worked out over time (including, hopefully, the bartenders learning the name of the chef!)

Mixed drinks here are frightfully expensive at $14, but are going to be a cut above average - a Gin & Tonic is made with housemade tonic, and hand-charged seltzer. Due to a technical problem with the freezer, the "lime ice" was unavailable at this very early stage, and so I had to settle for regular ice cubes with a lime wedge.

I saw an order of Philly Cheesesteak Sliders ($14) go by, and it's a surprisingly large portion of sandwiches. I'd have gotten one myself, except that the kitchen confirmed my fear that they are indeed made with the real stuff - Cheez Whiz - so I passed on them.

Does everyone remember the wood-burning pizza oven at David Greggory? It's still here, and a Margherita Pizza ($11) was very good and well-worth ordering. The crust was paper thin, had a nice char to it, and the mozzerella and tomatoes were of good quality. I had forgotten about this place as a potential source for pizza, but now it's back on my radar.

Fried Chicken ($18) was a half-chicken, breaded with flour and buttermilk, and nicely fried with a touch of black pepper. Served in a paper cone (like all the truffled fries you see in this town), it was the highlight of the plate, which also came with a dish of mushy collard greens cooked with Westphalian ham - it sounded interesting, but was actually very bland. A little bowl of clover honey accompanied a freshly made biscuit that was perfectly fine if you don't mind a strong smell of shortening (I'm very sensitive to this scent, and find it unappealing). The restaurant should rethink the plating of this dish, as the chicken, collards, and honey were all tilting toward the center of the round plate upon which they were sitting.

The wines here are nothing special, so you may be better off with a Dogfish Head IPA or a Van Winkle Rye. A glass of 2005 Olivier Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc was priced at $11, and went well enough with the chicken although I'll probably get something else next time.

Cheers,

Rocks.

What was the crowd/vibe like? With their "open late" policy and the "VIP section" that is described on the website, are they trying to appeal more to glitzy/see and be seen night owls rather than the average diner?

It was a Sunday night at around 8 PM, so it's hard to judge. The dining room was fairly crowded when I arrived - apparently they did 400 people in one day during a soft opening just a few days before, so the buzz is still fresh. There was a mix of people dining - older, younger, mildly hip, not-so-hip (I was one of the older, not-so-hip ones). It didn't even occur to me that they might be trying to appeal to a see-and-be-seen scene, but who knows what wankers the weekends will wheel in.

What was the crowd/vibe like? With their "open late" policy and the "VIP section" that is described on the website, are they trying to appeal more to glitzy/see and be seen night owls rather than the average diner?
When I read about the VIP section the first thing that came to mind was that they were going to attempt to be the next Cafe Milano. If that is what they want to be I hope their food does not suck as bad as CM.

I called and asked for a menu, and to find out how late they'll be serving lunch...they are not shutting down in between service, either. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice, and when I was thrilled to find a place where I can go get lunch at 3-3:30, he said that is exactly what they are trying to appeal to, those who can't always break out for lunch at the "designated" lunch hour. I'll try to post the menu when I receive it.

from the website, this does not sound like an attempt to be a "see and be seen" type place. Just my .02

Hudson will be a place to explore again and again for drinks, for dining and for a restaurant that feels like a home away from home.

edited to attempt to add menus...

That place is cursed, I tell ya. Cursed.

In my eight years here, this is the fourth business to move in.

It was unmemorable Italian in Red Tomato in 1999 to my fresh off the boat palate.

It was Shelly's West End three years later when I was into martinis and mingling.

It was David Greggory when a foodie wannabe was born.

And now, driving past a new marquee, I barely turn my head. Hudson, eh? I wish you the best. The history argues against it at the moment.

I had a nice meal today, even with a couple missteps. Not bad for a brand new place. I arrived alone around 2:15 and stood at the front for a few minutes, unacknowledged. Several waitrons standing around, one asking another if a table had been greeted yet--hey what about me? No one's greeted me yet, and a few of you have even made eye contact! Finally someone came over and asked if I was dining...well, yes, I'd like to....

So they sat me by the window and I could daydream in the sun, even if the patio was not open for dining. (I asked--bummer) Water was brought right away, and refilled throughout the meal. Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. A basket was brought to the table, but I didn't want to delve into it since I wanted to save up for the burger and fries. But when I saw the warm, Parker House rolls with sugar and sea salt sprinkled atop, I just had to partake. And I couldn't stop at just one, either. Nice. I ordered a burger medium rare, with sauteed mushrooms and Hudson Valley Blue, and elected to have the fries with it. The burger was cooked perfectly, juicy, and with fancy lettuce (boston maybe?) and a beautifully ripe red tomato. The shoestring fries on the otherhand, arrived cold and oily, and underseasoned. That was easily remedied when the waiter came back to check on how I liked the burger. When I told him the burger was fine, but the fries were cold, he said he'd have a fresh batch made right away. The replacement fries arrived in a cone, seasoned with sea salt, whereas the initial offering was just a side on the plate. I think the cone actually keeps the heat in longer, as there was not a cold one in the batch. While I won't spend this much everyday for a burger and fries, it was definitely a nice deviation and a place I would definitely go again to try some other menu items. Burger, Fries, (and those rolls :blink: ) and a half pour of wine for under $20, before tax and tip. I'm not complaining, but I may have to roll myself home tonight, I'm so full. I definitely recommend the blue cheese and mushroom combo if you go for the burger...

My wife and I dined at Hudson last night, and it was...underwhelming. The matzoh ball soup was good, and would have been even better served hot. Ditto the gratis parker house rolls, which were barely warm enough to melt butter. I suppose we could have sent stuff back to get reheated, but the timing and heat issue will probably get worked out as the place matures.

What was more disappointing was my french onion soup, so cloyingly sweet I only made it halfway through, and the mushroom pizza - specifically the sauce, which was strongly reminiscent of Chef Boyardee. The mushrooms themselves were tasty and plentiful though, and the crust had a satisfyingly crunchyness to it.

There are plenty of other menu options, however, and we didn't even try one of the main entrees, so in all likelihood we have not seen the best of what Hudson has to offer. But I think we'll hold off a bit on returning and let the kinks get worked out.

A friend & I decided to try out Hudson for a first glance last night. We didn't go in with exceptionally high expectations, figuring there would be a few glitches still to be worked out. Our server was exceptionally friendly, but had to be new at this whole upscale dining thing. I was definitely willing to overlook some of the minor flaws in her delivery mainly because the woman knew her stuff when it came to the menu.

At first taste we thought we were in for a WOW kind of meal. We shared the scallop appetizer which comes with two plump seared scallops over a mushroom ragout which had more bacon than fungi. Not that I'm complaining! :blink:

Unfortunately the entrees fell a bit flat for both of us. I got the crabcake and my friend got the tuna. The tuna was fresh and vibrant, but depended heavily on the wasabi mashed potatoes for any flavor. The snap peas were there more for color on the plate than another layer of flavor. My crabcake was fine - not a lot of filler and big chunks of crabmeat - but the grit-corn coulis sauce on the plate had a weird texture/flavor combo that didn't really do it for me.

We finished on a high note with a slice of the warm apple crisp pie with vanilla ice cream (not a la mode). It was the perfect fall treat with an abundance of apples and the right amount of cinnamon. Well worth the extra calories I'm going to have to run off at the gym tonight!

All in all, it was a solid meal for a restaurant just starting out, but for $120 including tax & tip, I'm not sure I'll be going back anytime soon for a repeat.

Oh, and definitely check out the bathrooms! They're beautiful & rich looking (except it appears the mirrors were an afterthought because they don't blend at all & look a bit cheap).

For the last week, I have been determined to try new places and not rely on my standard rotation for dining. In that spirit, I went to the bar at Hudson last evening to have a cocktail and light dinner. There are many things to like about this place. The room is open and airy with an elegant feel; the bar stools are exceedingly comfortable; and they take the art of the cocktail seriously. However, all of it is wrapped in a too clever by half package that makes me less likely to return.

Once he finally noticed me, the bartender offered me a cocktail menu – nothing on the menu had any appeal to me so I ordered a Manhattan. John, I believe his name was, made one of the better Manhattan’s I have had in this town. He apologized for not having any of his house-made bing cherries macerated in kirsch and offered a twist instead; I thought this a very nice touch.

I decided to order the Santa Fe Hot Pizza – a barbeque pizza with black beans corn relish and chicken. I am not sure why I ordered such a non-traditional pizza and at first bite I was less than thrilled with my choice. Then I found myself eating the crust – I never eat crusts. I realized that this pie had grown on me and quickly. The sweet of the bbq sauce was balanced with the light heat of the chilies. I quickly devoured more than half the pie and eventually asked for the rest to be boxed to take with me. Other dishes I saw being served to tables and fellow bar holders were visually stunning and made me want to order more food though my hunger was sated.

All of this should make for a rather impressive showing for this newcomer. However, several things bothered me (maybe my sensibilities place me outside of their target audience.)

• I detest televisions in the bar and they have two in prominent placement that make them hard to tune out. I especially dislike them when they show ESPN News or Headline News both of which are essentially on a loop.
  • I can usually ignore the techno travesties that are the soundtracks for too many restaurants but at Hudson the volume makes this task nearly impossible.
  • The cocktail servers attired in a low-cut, high cut combination never smiled – of course they occupied my attention because they are very attractive.
  • Bartenders that make drinks in hopes that Tom Cruise is going to make the movie Cocktail II annoy me. “Flair” forces the guest to interact with the bartender at a visual level, whereas I believe that the level of interaction should be determined by the guest.

I know that one visit and one dish is not a sufficiently broad basis to form an educated opinion. However, my quibbles are more reflective of my wants and needs in a restaurant than Hudson itself. I left with a sense that Hudson is a serious restaurant and cocktail lounge, just not one that appeals to me. I still might return for the pizza though.

Thank you.

[*]I detest televisions in the bar and they have two in prominent placement that make them hard to tune out. I especially dislike them when they show ESPN News or Headline News both of which are essentially on a loop.
I had issues with the very large TV at Central's bar. Was the sound on at Hudson?

Thank you.

I had issues with the very large TV at Central's bar. Was the sound on at Hudson?

The sound was off as was the closed captioning... so unless they are trying to appeal to the portion of the population that can read lips what's the point of having it there?

The sound was off as was the closed captioning... so unless they are trying to appeal to the portion of the population that can read lips what's the point of having it there?

That is one of my pet peeves. If you are going to have a TV (which I don't mind) and you are going to leave the sound off, TURN ON the close captioning!

Had lunch at the Hudson with some co-workers since it was on the company's dime. I'm pretty confident it will go the way of the previous restaurants that have graced this expensive real estate.

A few of us had the onion soup which was quite good - nice rich beef broth. I'd order it again.

The rolls everyone raves about were merely ok. They were warm, which is always nice on a cold day, but they were stale. The onion roll I had was very stale, the other rolls, not quite as stale, but not freshly baked.

For mains, one guy had the burger which was fine. He said it was pretty good, but nothing special. It looked to be pretty juicy and cooked medium. Another co-worker had the crab cake sandwich. He did not like it at all. His comment was "it just wasn't that good." Coming from a guy who will eat the nastiest food without complaint, I was surprised. Another co-worker and myself had the chopped salad with chicken. We both agreed the chicken was terribly overcooked - very very dry - and the salad was merely ok. It didn't seem to have the freshest taste, and personally I hate frisee, which I think shouldn't ever be in a chopped salad. It was lightly dressed though which is nice for a change.

Service was quite slow. The soup came out in about 5-10 minutes. Entrees didn't appear for about 35 minutes. Would have preferred a faster pace to the meal.

I don't think i'll be rushing back anytime soon. Overall, not that impressed, especially with all of the other sit-down options in the neighborhood.

The rolls today were stale, my burger was well past the requested medium rare, and the fries tragically overcooked. For $17, I certainly expected more. The service was another story. The bartender, Quentin, was very attentive, and he not only gave me a taste of an unfamiliar gin but also called the beverage manager over to talk about it. And he likes the Teletubbies. I'd go in again to have a drink and talk to him, not for the food.

We had a business dinner here Tuesday evening. As other have noted, the rolls did seem kind of stale, but had been lightly toasted (I think), so it was somewhat hard to tell. French onion soup was okay, nothing special. My wild mushroom risotto was very good, with a strong mushroom flavor, and the rice had been nicely finished (for a restaurant risotto). The only odd thing about the dish was the asparagus spears that were used to dress the dish--they really didn't need to be there, and considering it was December they seemed inappropriate.

Dessert was a massive piece of chocolate cake, moist and too large to finish, even for me. Service was fine.

The restaurant was pretty full, and the bar area was certainly hopping. I haven't seen much press on this place, but they seem to be doing a good business.

Fried Chicken ($18) was a half-chicken, breaded with flour and buttermilk, and nicely fried with a touch of black pepper. Served in a paper cone (like all the truffled fries you see in this town), it was the highlight of the plate, which also came with a dish of mushy collard greens cooked with Westphalian ham - it sounded interesting, but was actually very bland. A little bowl of clover honey accompanied a freshly made biscuit that was perfectly fine if you don't mind a strong smell of shortening (I'm very sensitive to this scent, and find it unappealing). The restaurant should rethink the plating of this dish, as the chicken, collards, and honey were all tilting toward the center of the round plate upon which they were sitting.

They have rethought the plating of the fried chicken, but I am not sure that it really helped. Now it is served on top of mashed potatoes and then topped with an uninspiring biscuit (are you sure they are made in house?). Fried chicken is one of those dishes that really are best enjoyed while eating out of hand, placing the two painfully bland pieces on top of the potatoes makes that a less than ideal eating option. The flavor of the potatoes was good, however, they were a little pasty.

We started with a dreary plate of fried calamari, it was obvious that it was right out of the fryer it was already soggy, and the flavorless pieces of squid were pretty chewy. The dish was served with two dipping sauces, the best being a creamy sauce that was spiked with dill, while the second sauce was insipid, it tasted like nothing more than canned crushed tomatoes.

My wife said that her chopped salad was decent, but again nothing special. The steak was more medium than the medium rare that she had ordered.

The best part of the entire experience was the service, they were very attentive and they paid attention to many of the small details that so many other places miss out on. I just wish the food was as inspired as the service.

Went with a big group last nite, and overall I think it was good. I think for the price though, it wasn't really worth it. With drinks, we paid about $120 per couple and for that price I want my socks knocked off to come back.

The knitty gritty: I started with the cheese steak sliders - the order comes with three, one based on Pat's (cheez whiz), one based on Geno's (provolone), and a third one that I cant remember, but it was with marinara. Very good - a must order. Others with me got french onion soup, matzo ball soup, and various salads and all were good, especially the matzo ball. For entree, I got the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and biscuit. Eh. Chicken was good, but not THAT good, the potatoes were very thin, almost seemed like instant potatoes. The biscuit was hard as a rock. Other folks with me got steak, pizza, tuna, duck - all good, but again, nothing with any "wow" factor.

I have read reviews in the past about iffy service, but ours was great. Very attentive.

I have heard good things about the burger, so I might go back for lunch to try that, but other than that, I don't think I will be back.

Yummy Matzoh Ball Soup again tonite - perhaps enhanced by the Cowboys' defeat
How were the matzoh balls - hard or soft? I prefer soft, but my wife's family loves hard. While I'm sure the soup is good, I would hate to order it and end up with dense rocks instead of the light, fluffy gems that I think matzoh balls should be.

How were the matzoh balls - hard or soft? I prefer soft, but my wife's family loves hard. While I'm sure the soup is good, I would hate to order it and end up with dense rocks instead of the light, fluffy gems that I think matzoh balls should be.

You are in luck - they are soft and fluffy. I prefer them hard and dense (like mom's), but I have no problem with soft and fluffy either. The broth was rich, flavorful and perfectly salted.

We've now done two business dinners at Hudson, and both times I've come away pretty satisfied. The menu is, as was mentioned in the review in the Post, an 'everyone's favorites' approach. For business dinners, that means that there is generally always something there for everybody to like, and the service has been very good, unobtrusive but present.

There isn't anything the least bit 'down home' about the setting or the prices--but on both of my visits I've ordered what is essentially comfort food. The French onion soup is fulfilling and (to my taste) a very traditional take. The wild mushroom risotto is fantastic--perfectly cooked and deeply flavorful. The scallops are simply prepared with a bacon/mushroom bed and a pesto dressing. In all of the dishes I've had or seen, there is no attempt at ornamentation, nothing that blows me away with taste/texture/visual combinations that I've not encountered before. But it's solid food.

Just not good enough.

Ever since six of us left Hudson after dinner last night, I have been thinking of how to sum up our experience, and those four words pretty much spell it out for me. The space was nice and clean, but nothing that caught my attention. The drinks were OK, but pricey for their size and taste (they even had several drinks on their "happy hour menu" that were priced the same on their regular menu). The service was good, but no matter hard we tried, we couldn't coax a smile out of the bartender that was pouring our drinks for 90 minutes before our whole group got there. The fried chicken was fine, but the mashed potatoes and biscuit not so much. The steaks were all cooked right, but they were missing flavor. The short ribs seemed hearty, but the portion size was tiny and the taste was even tinier. Sides of macaroni and cheese and fries cost much more than they were worth, and we were ALL excited about eating them. The apple pie for dessert was great, but was paired with a itty bitty scoop of what I think was Breyer's ice cream.

For one bottle of wine (I actually liked the wine list), six entrees, two side dishes and six desserts, $350 with tax and tip was the damage (we paid our bar tab separately). Didn't cause me to go broke, but definitely made me think, "How did I just drop $120 for dinner and basically get nothing out of it!?"

Hey, the eye candy was VERY nice last night and the patio was pretty peaceful for where it is in the city, but you can't get by on good looks and the location alone, at some point, Hudson is going to have to step it up.

, but you can't get by on good looks and the location alone, at some point, Hudson is going to have to step it up.

They seem to be doing pretty well at it so far. I'm in the area for dinner a fair amount and stop by somewhat frequently (2-3 times a month maybe?) during the week and it almost always looks packed and I end up going somewhere else instead. I do enjoy a couple of their pizzas fairly well, but not enough to sit at a crowded bar for dinner :-)

They seem to be doing pretty well at it so far. I'm in the area for dinner a fair amount and stop by somewhat frequently (2-3 times a month maybe?) during the week and it almost always looks packed and I end up going somewhere else instead.

Well there are always lines at the Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's, and Maggiano's so judging by the crowd they have the right formula for success, but that does not equate to good food, a memorable experience, or for that matter a soulful restaurant.

It's the Monday after Restaurant Week, and perhaps the most ridiculous day of the year to be casting judgment on a restaurant - this evening, entire kitchen staffs are lying in their electric Recline-A-Beds, with IV drips in their arms restoring much-needed fluids and potassium. But we can still make general comments about portion sizes, right?

Circumstance found me at Hudson this evening (if you must know, I returned a bottle of heat-damaged Sake to The Wine Specialist), where a trusted friend tipped me off to their Matzoh Ball Soup ($7) long ago. In addition, I had an order of Bacon/Cheddar Sliders ($8) from their bar menu, and the first thing that came to mind was Heather Shorter.

Do you remember the Halcion Daze of 2004, when Graig Glufling popularized the Miniburger in this area at Matchbox? Those double-fisted MCI-Center giants might as well have been earth-moving dump trucks when you compare them to what is now quaintly coined a "slider." Do you know why they call them sliders? Because they're the size of a suppository, and you can slide them right up your ass. Literally the size of half-dollars if you're lucky; quarters if you're not, today's slider isn't much more than a dried-out booger on an outsized breadcrumb.

Proof attached,

Rocks.

post-2-125176700464_thumb.jpg

Do you remember the Halcion Daze of 2004, when Graig Glufling popularized the Miniburger in this area at Matchbox?

Thanks, Don. Graig will be so happy to see this. He left the kitchen a few years ago and has been working in sales for Sysco. He may be in front of a stove again soon, though. I'll be sure to let you know where he lands.

Do you remember the Halcion Daze of 2004, when Graig Glufling popularized the Miniburger in this area at Matchbox? Those double-fisted MCI-Center giants might as well have been earth-moving dump trucks when you compare them to what is now quaintly coined a "slider." Do you know why they call them sliders? Because they're the size of a suppository, and you can slide them right up your ass. Literally the size of half-dollars if you're lucky; quarters if you're not, today's slider isn't much more than a dried-out booger on an outsized breadcrumb.

Proof attached,

Rocks.

Probably need a road trip to New Jersey: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/09/classic-sliders-white-rose-system-linden-nj-new-jersey.html#continued

[apologies for getting off-er topic]

Circumstance found me at Hudson this evening (if you must know, I returned a bottle of heat-damaged Sake to The Wine Specialist), where a trusted friend tipped me off to their Matzoh Ball Soup ($7) long ago. In addition, I had an order of Bacon/Cheddar Sliders ($8) from their bar menu, and the first thing that came to mind was Heather Shorter.

Gosh, thanks Don! :rolleyes::huh: Let me find just the right cliche for those tired old things...how about "Lilliputian?" $8 for those two?

Closing Friday 9/28 for good.

Sure enough, they're closing. The gentleman I talked with said they're closing "at the end of the month" ... "for renovations." I asked him if they were open until then, and he said they had buyouts, and to check the internet for announcements about when they might be reopening. So, while they may, or may not, be open next week, I wouldn't bank on it without confirmation.

This is an important space (and, dating back to the David Greggory days, has had one of the nicest bars in the area), so it clearly won't be vacant for long.

It has been a long time since I've been in Hudson, but I remember having a really nice bowl of matzah ball soup on my last visit - not a bad final memory. Actually, now that I think about it, I may have had an eggs Benedict out on the patio for brunch with my son - an even better final memory.

Is this the same space that, once upon a time when I was an undergrad, housed ...

dang. I knew what it was, until I went to type it.

Anyhow, back in the 80s, that was also a place thaht got a great deal of notice. Anyone remember its name? Safari something? Jim something?

And here's some info on the new place...sounds interesting.

http://www.washingto...f6312_blog.html

From the article:

Aboughaddareh plans to gut Hudson and keep only its pizza oven. Next on his to-do list: hire a chef, a pastry chef and someone to bake fresh bread throughout the day for those sandwiches. The Greenhouse Bistro is expected to open by February.

I'm not going to condemn this place before it opens, and Hudson was certainly not of any great culinary merit, but "gutting" that bar area seems tragic to me - I hope the owner either reconsiders, or does something constructive with that beautiful bar.

Sell it to someone in Union Market to resurrect. Just do something with it.

I was at Hudson a few months ago. It reeked of mediocrity in every way. It depressed me, especially in that all 3 of the bartenders on staff at the time were recent graduates of our bartending school. But they were all newish and just weren't good with what must have been terrible direction from any experienced staff. and btw: I too thought it was an attractive bar area.

IMHO there is an opportunity for a place to stay open to 5 AM. There is this largish after bar crowd that will go to a place with decent food/ and drinks into the wee hours of the evening when sane people have gone home. Its often a bar business crowd and they spend well while not being too demanding. But in any city there is only so much opportunity, so IMHO you have to be better than anyone else.

Its really a great happy hour and light dining location in my opinion. Good luck to the new guys.

Is this the same space that, once upon a time when I was an undergrad, housed ...

dang. I knew what it was, until I went to type it.

Anyhow, back in the 80s, that was also a place thaht got a great deal of notice. Anyone remember its name? Safari something? Jim something?

Lord Jim's. It was Lord Jim's.