Alliance Tavern, Formerly Enology Wine Bar - Closed

I guess it's tacky to start my own topic for my own place, but I wanted a way to update people who are interested. We began the demolition yesterday, but building permits won't come through for another few months. My business partner and I are still wrestling with the design, but I am confident we can come up with something that rocks.

Since "Enology" is the American English version of oenology, we are going to be focusing on wines from the United States (Cali, Washington, Oregon, Virigina, New York, New Mexico, etc.). The same amount of wines will be poured in the neighborhood of 70. The food that accompanies the wine will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar. I am going to do my best to make sure all beverage/food comes from the US, but I won't sacrifice quality.

Please feel free to offer up suggestions for wines, beers, decor, etc., but I probably won't listen to them :blink:

Regards,

Adam

The food that accompanies the wine will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar. I am going to do my best to make sure all beverage/food comes from the US, but I won't sacrifice quality.

Please feel free to offer up suggestions for wines, beers, decor, etc., but I probably won't listen to them :blink:

Regards,

Adam

So no cooked food or desserts - just cold dishes? Are you going for more of a bar feel or a restaurant that caterers to wine? I live nearby in CP off of Conn Ave and when I pass by Bardeo, another wine bar, almost every diner has one or more of their small plates of cooked food. Not sure if that fits your business plans, but something to think about. Welcome to the neighborhood, I know we all look forward to your opening. For those who don't know this address, it is across from 2Amys and Catcus Cantina, and a door or so down from Cafe Deluxe on WI Ave.

So no cooked food or desserts - just cold dishes? Are you going for more of a bar feel or a restaurant that caterers to wine? I live nearby in CP off of Conn Ave and when I pass by Bardeo, another wine bar, almost every diner has one or more of their small plates of cooked food. Not sure if that fits your business plans, but something to think about. Welcome to the neighborhood, I know we all look forward to your opening. For those who don't know this address, it is across from 2Amys and Catcus Cantina, and a door or so down from Cafe Deluxe on WI Ave.

Thanks for your interest. Again, there will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar only. We have a similar business model at Veritas and it has done wonderfully. If you want dinner, it won't be at Enology.

Cheers,

Adam

Hello Again,

Well, we are very close. Today, I sat at Enology all day waiting for a health inspection that never came. Ahhh...I love the DC government. We plan on opening to the general public on June 13th, but mock service will be going on June 10th-12th.

If you are interested in joining us for mock service, please email mockservice@enologydc.com. You will receive an invitation, which you will fill out and send back. Remember that a mock service is for our staff to get "broken in." Because we are dealing with wine and not much food, checks are 50% off. Space is relatively limited, so I cannot promise everybody a seat.

Thanks,

Adam

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform you that after one awful night and two outstanding nights of mock service, we are up and running. Please come by and give us a try.

I got Adam's email about Tuesday night being an awful night, but when I was there in the later part of the evening my wife and I had mostly a very nice time (with the only minor problems being few longish waits for dessert and our check).

On last Tuesday night, my wife and I had a very nice time at Enology for the first night of its 3 nights of invitation-only opening. The wine bar is a nice space split half into a cozy bar with comfy stools (with backs - always a pet peeve of mine) and a bunch of two tops and half in a more airy dining room with nicely spaced 4 tops and larger tables. The menu is similar to its sister restaurant, Veritas, with a large selection of wines by the glass, bottle, and flight including a number of dessert wine choices for drinks (plus some beers and cocktails) and a variety of cheeses, meats, flatbreads and chocolates. The staff was very friendly and pretty well informed as could be expected on opening night. Service started off well, but as the evening went on we had some significant waits for our dessert order and our check, but these seemed like opening night bugs that could easily be fixed. Looking around the room the wine flights and flatbreads seemed to be most popular. We had the a flatbread, which like all the flatbreads looks like a large uncooked pizza (1 is enough for an entree or easily shareable by 2-3 as an appetizer) . The bread is thin and very crispy - a little too tough in my opinion. The Puget Sound flatbread we had was a very nice combo of salmon, crème fraiche, snipped chives, and very thin sweet, raw red onions. Other flatbreads had different combos of cheeses, meats, and vegetables. However, I've since heard that the flatbreads may not be currently on the menu while the kitchen works out the kinks. My wife also had a small cheese plates which was pretty disappointing. First the cheeses are served on tiny, overcrowded plates with fluffy breads. Toasted bread or crackers would have been much better to spread the cheeses and to get the flavor of them. We had the purple haze goat which was really good, a camembert which we didn't like, and the fleur de lice, also a very creamy cheese which I didn't like at all, but my wife thought went well with the quince jam that came with the cheese plate. The only other accompaniment for the plate were 2 cornichons and 2 green olives. As for the wines, we each had a flight. The GM Jamie, I think, well especially knowledgable, friendly, and helpful in finding ones that fit our tastes and the flavors of the food. I had the the red "Lighter Side" which was pretty good, especially mondeuse, au bon climat, santa maria valley, california, 2006. My wife had the white Flight 3238 and really enjoyed all 3, especially the crisp, less fruity chardonnay, pine ridge, napa valley, california, 2006. We also stuck around for dessert and enjoyed a sampling of all the chocolates (6 in all) which are great 1-2 bites each. The coconut-lime was the best, followed by the caramel and the classic. The montezuma with chili peppers was fun and different, but actually too spicy for me. We had them with the "Don’t Forget the Chocolate" red dessert flight - which was hit and miss. The sherry was a bit too strong for us, but we really liked the quady elysium and other mara zinfandel (but it looks like these last 2 have been changed on the current webiste: http://www.enologydc.com

Overall a fun night. Thanks to Adam for giving us an opening deal and for bringing a new place to CP.

We had a good time here last night. The ambiance is brighter than Veritas. It has light colored decor and many windows. I had a red wine flight (the Dare to be different). The prices of the red flights on the website seem to be out of date or were a placeholder because all of the red flights on the website are listed as $10. My red wine flight was around $14 or $15. No problems with the service. Our friends had a few of the chocolates, made by J. Chocolatier.

What no Maryland wines?!?! :lol:

Kidding, you have my blessing to not carry Maryland wines. Not that you need it.

There was actually a Maryland wine in my flight -- Deep creek "watershed red," Friendsville, Maryland

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the regulars that have come up to visit at Enology. I'm glad you all have enjoyed yourselves and it is great to see you as well.

I wanted to update everyone on a couple of things that are new and a few that are in development.

This weekend we are rolling out a new cocktail list as well as a few new salads and amazing chocolates from J. Chocolatier.

I will be teaching a cocktail class on Dec 6th that is limited to 20 people and will cost $50.00 per person. You and your friends will learn the history of the spirits that I choose and then learn the proper way to make the best drinks possible for entertaining friends or just yourself. You will get the chance to get behind the bar and "shake and make" your own drink. Then sit and enjoy apps served at the bar and recieve a gift bag including recipies as well.

Our Pinot classes that we are giving on Sat are completly full, but we will be offering future classes alternating with mixology classes.

We will have a TV in for Election night, so you all will be able to enjoy the wine and food along with the results!! :):P:lol:

I will be installing a grill and fryer in the next few weeks, so we will be able to offer some new, unique fare in addition to our current offerings. The plates will remain small and will pair well with our beverage offerings. I am working on the menu currently and as we offer only domestic products, parts of our future menu might revolve around regional specialties of our country. I am also tweaking our flatbreads a bit and hope that you will be pleased with the results.

Catch you all later

As a bonus to any guest that likes any of our wines, and may want to give a bottle to a friend, or have it for dinner on another night, I am offering the ability to purchase a bottle at 25% off and seal it unopened for your future consumption.

Thanks Chris - great post. But I wanted to point out that the new "doggy bag law" permits only a "partially consumed bottle" to be removed from a restaurant. I'm not 100% certain (though perhaps Dean Gold or Mark Slater or someone else on the board is) but I don't believe existing DC ABC laws allow an unopened bottle to be removed from a restaurant, bagged or otherwise.

Thanks Chris - great post. But I wanted to point out that the new "doggy bag law" permits only a "partially consumed bottle" to be removed from a restaurant. I'm not 100% certain (though perhaps Dean Gold or Mark Slater or someone else on the board is) but I don't believe existing DC ABC laws allow an unopened bottle to be removed from a restaurant, bagged or otherwise.

I initially had the same question, but when I contacted ABRA , they said it appeared to be OK, as long as the bag was sealed and had the reciept in there. But then again..one never really knows in DC

I initially had the same question, but when I contacted ABRA , they said it appeared to be OK, as long as the bag was sealed and had the reciept in there. But then again..one never really knows in DC

They gave you incorrect info - shocking! Here is a link to the RAMW website containing a FAQ on point.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Was...y-Bags-FAQ.html

More importantly, the language of the legislation is clear. Click on the link for Bill#: B17-0528 on this link to read the statute.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Washington-DC/

Of course, enforcement is a different subject.

They gave you incorrect info - shocking! Here is a link to the RAMW website containing a FAQ on point.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Was...y-Bags-FAQ.html

More importantly, the language of the legislation is clear. Click on the link for Bill#: B17-0528 on this link to read the statute.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Washington-DC/

Of course, enforcement is a different subject.

Thanks Mark for the info...Ah ABRA and its info :lol:

Let me rephrase myself....If one happens into Enology and just opens a bottle of wine and suddenly you get a call from Jack Bauer and you must depart...I would feel your pain and thus bag that open bottle so that you may enjoy it at a later time :)

Thanks Mark for the info...Ah ABRA and its info :lol:

Let me rephrase myself....If one happens into Enology and just opens a bottle of wine and suddenly you get a call from Jack Bauer and you must depart...I would feel your pain and thus bag that open bottle so that you may enjoy it at a later time :)

Real men finish their wine on premises... click.

First trip to Enology! It was great to catch up with Chris, as always, and I liked the space.

Hits for me included wine flights, the excellent peppered salami and the cheese selection. I also liked my arugula salad, however it was huge. We weren't crazy about the two flatbreads, unfortunately. We were expecting a thinner, perhaps crisper, crust and they were so heavy with cheese.

Chocolate truffles were a great way to finish the night. We had a salted caramel each plus a white chocolate with olive oil and one chocolate with clove.

Went to Enology during the soft opening when items were 50% off. It was a pretty serious disappointment, largely due to the price. For the two of us, my wife and I ordered two glasses of wine, charcuterie (two meats), and three pieces of chocolate. The total (with tax and tip) was $47. Mind you, that was the 50% off price. You can figure how much it would've cost any other day. To add insult to injury, the wine pours appeared in the 2.5-3 oz. range. If the pours were small to reflect the discounted price, the strategy kinda backfired. I was left thinking, if I returned on a normal night, I'd end up with 3 oz. of wine for $12-22. Ouch.

We live walking distance and were hoping for a local spot where we could spend low-key evenings out of the house without schleping too far. Needless to say, the soft opening visit didn't reel us in.

Sorry my first post isn't more upbeat. I've been harboring my disappointment with Enology for a long time. Seeing it on the Board this afternoon prompted me to join the fray.

JFW

Went to Enology during the soft opening when items were 50% off. It was a pretty serious disappointment, largely due to the price. For the two of us, my wife and I ordered two glasses of wine, charcuterie (two meats), and three pieces of chocolate. The total (with tax and tip) was $47. Mind you, that was the 50% off price. You can figure how much it would've cost any other day. To add insult to injury, the wine pours appeared in the 2.5-3 oz. range. If the pours were small to reflect the discounted price, the strategy kinda backfired. I was left thinking, if I returned on a normal night, I'd end up with 3 oz. of wine for $12-22. Ouch.

We live walking distance and were hoping for a local spot where we could spend low-key evenings out of the house without schleping too far. Needless to say, the soft opening visit didn't reel us in.

Sorry my first post isn't more upbeat. I've been harboring my disappointment with Enology for a long time. Seeing it on the Board this afternoon prompted me to join the fray.

JFW

Not to be too negative, but is this post really necessary? If you haven't been somewhere in a while, than really, what's the point of rehashing the past? I also live walking distance, and have only been in twice, but I've enjoyed the flights and think the wine list is wonderful, and would happily go back again, although I wish there was more of a lounge feel to the place with comfy couches. I'm not trying to be mean, but I do think there's a time limit on any review--positive or negative.

(Edited to fix time table of restaurant opening)

Not to be too negative, but is this post really necessary? If you haven't been somewhere in a while, than really, what's the point of rehashing the past? I also live walking distance, and have only been in twice, but I've enjoyed the flights and think the wine list is wonderful, and would happily go back again, although I wish there was more of a lounge feel to the place with comfy couches. I'm not trying to be mean, but I do think there's a time limit on any review--positive or negative.

(Edited to fix time table of restaurant opening)

Well...unless Enology has lowered their prices, I think the post is still relevant. I can easily admit the wine we drank was tasty and they've got a nice list. I'll give you that. My beef is with the price. A restaurant's success can be affected by a value perception. If a restaurant is a rip off, I think people are not inclined to go. Enology does not offer a very good value. That's relevant just as much today as it was four months ago.

If someone can confirm Enology has slashed prices by 40%, I'll give it another go.

JFW

Well...unless Enology has lowered their prices, I think the post is still relevant. I can easily admit the wine we drank was tasty and they've got a nice list. I'll give you that. My beef is with the price. A restaurant's success can be affected by a value perception. If a restaurant is a rip off, I think people are not inclined to go. Enology does not offer a very good value. That's relevant just as much today as it was four months ago.

If someone can confirm Enology has slashed prices by 40%, I'll give it another go.

JFW

I'm sorry that you feel that we do not offer a very good value for our products....so I would like to know what you think our prices should be for the quality of wine, charcuterie and cheese that we offer. What would you like to pay for a glass of wine? What varietals do you enjoy or don't see offered on our list? Our glass pours are 5oz each, while our flights are 2 1/2 oz each -thus 7 1/2 oz for 3 different wines.

I also want to remind you that we are a "Wine bar" as opposed to a "restaurant". Our focus is on wine and we offer 72 wines by the glass and over 150 other bottles. Our food offerings are not the focus, but serve as an accompanyment to our beverage program. I will be expanding our small plate selections next month to further enhance your drinking pleasure.

We do offer happy hour discounts Monday- Friday on glass wines, food and drinks. Tuesday we offer 50% off over 30 bottles.

It's great that you live in the neighborhood and I would love to have you in again. While I know that we cannot be everything to everybody, please stop in sometime and introduce yourself.

I stopped into Enology last night, and saw both Chris and John (John came from Ray's The Classics, and looks more like Ray Liotta than Ray Liotta does).

Both the Gin Basil Sour ($11) and Blood Orange Bellini ($11) were well-made drinks, but I should have gotten the Bellini first since it's a sparkler. Then, however, I put Chris to the test with Enology's 100% American wine list:

"By the way, I HATE American wine."

(Dave McIntyre, feel free to call me a relic; I'll not disagree with you. (*))

"Really?"

"Would you pick me out a dry white with good acidity and no oak? Something bracing?"

"I've got just the thing!"

And so Chris spun around and poured me a Seghesio Arneis ($9) from the Russian River Valley. If I'm not mistaken, Troy Bock has served me this wine at Mendocino Grill - it's a good new-world wine for people who prefer an old-world style.

In terms of pricing, here are some raw numbers for Enology:

176 wines by the bottle, 48 priced $40 or less.

77 wines by the glass, average price $10.2467532 (yes, I added them all up in my head - you can get a glass of everything for $789), 42 glasses $9 or less.

Chris seems very much at home in this pleasant bar with modern, temperature-controlled equipment, and pricing which seems to be in line with other comparable establishments in town. Detailed descriptions of the wines would be nice for someone like me who isn't familiar with a lot of the selections.

---

(*) Yes, I know. But I've gotten burned too many times in the past and there's just too much out there for me to sift through it all; me ordering off an American wine list is like a blind man shopping at Syms.

Cheers,

Rocks

Hello all and Happy New Year....I just wanted to let you all know that our new menu is almost complete and that we will be launching in officially on Thursday Jan 15. We will be doing 3 days of mock service on Sun, Mon, and Tuesday, then giving the kitchen a day off to hopefully perfect any issues and prepare itself for Thursday. Executive Chefs David Safell from our Capitol Lounge, Johnny Nielsen, Adam Manson and I have been plotting, cooking and tasting with due diligence over the last few weeks to enhance our food offerings at Enology.

I will be posting our complete menu ASAP, but can tell you that we will be offering a variety of plates that includes Burger, Tuna and Duck Sliders, Steak Frites, Roasted Duck, Lobster Ravioli, Tempura Calamari, new flatbreads, new bread, seafood, and Fries with dipping sauces. I am also very happy to be offering charcuterie from Jamie Stachowski :P

I will be offering a Charcuterie selection of the month.....this will consist of 3-4 items that are set for the month and will change accordingly and depending on what Jamie is making. The cheese selection will still be offered as however you would like to pick them. I will also be adding a few new cheeses.

I have reduced the number of Flatbreads offered and have also reshaped and re-topped them.

With regards to Desserts--We will still be offering those amazing Chocolates from J. Chocolatier in addition to Dolcezza's Gelato aqnd Chef Johnny will be making other offerings as well

We have also joined up with Open Table and you will be able to make reservations very soon.

I look forward to this new phase of our 6 month old Wine Bar and hope that you will as well.

Looking forward to see you and your feedback.

Chris

Having learned from the best about posting on DR :P I wanted to let everyone know that we are now up and running with our new menu at Enology and I am quite pleased with the results as well as the turn out that we have had in the past 2 days since its debut. The menu is posted on our website and ranges from Sliders and frites to chicken fried veal steak and shrimp and grits. I look forward to you all coming and let me know what you think.

I had the opportunity to go to the tasting that GM Chris Cunningham and Chef David Saffell have put together and for the price, the food is one of the best values in DC. The NEW menu has such wonderfully delightful options like Duck Sliders, Pork Tenderloin with a sauce and creamed corn side that is out of this world in term of taste. I started with a Red Beet Carpaccio that was wonderfully complimented with a light vinagarette and peppered goat cheese and when I thought that the meal couldn't get any better, a dark chocolate torte with raspberry sauce came out to finish me off. All of the items are tapas style with almost entree portions (especially the steak frites) at a price range of $6-$12. The wine pairings were perfect and as usual, the service didn't disappoint. If you want a great meal for a great price, go in and check out Enology.

I had the opportunity to go to the tasting that GM Chris Cunningham and Chef David Saffell have put together and for the price, the food is one of the best values in DC. The NEW menu has such wonderfully delightful options like Duck Sliders, Pork Tenderloin with a sauce and creamed corn side that is out of this world in term of taste. I started with a Red Beet Carpaccio that was wonderfully complimented with a light vinagarette and peppered goat cheese and when I thought that the meal couldn't get any better, a dark chocolate torte with raspberry sauce came out to finish me off. All of the items are tapas style with almost entree portions (especially the steak frites) at a price range of $6-$12. The wine pairings were perfect and as usual, the service didn't disappoint. If you want a great meal for a great price, go in and check out Enology.

Thanks John, and welcome!

[And if I find out you work for Enology, I'm going to come over and castrate you with a butter knife. Kidding! :P]

Unlike Don's experience at Bistro du Coin last night packed full of people, Enology had a humming buzz to its smallish crowd. That is, except for the brief mini-Obamarama next to me, with the patron hollering to Corbin to "turn it up" on the televised rebroadcast of the mall concert (which is great and all, but this was definitely no Ireland Four Courts) at the bar.

The small plates section is divided in three ways: light bodied; medium bodied; and full bodied. As ReconJohn0321 said, the prices ranged $6-12 between the three sections.

The must-try item of the three is the Long Island Duck Breast in the full bodied section for $11. Cooked to your tastes (medium, in this case), it is seared and plated with a flavorfully spiced sweet potato puree, pearl onions (omitted), and dried cherry jus. The breast was quite moist and its counterparts elevated the duck flavor when eaten together. I didn't miss the pearl onions at all.

Corbin recommended a glass of the Ridge "Lytton Springs" Zinfindel for $12 to pair with this dish, and its full-bodied flavor help defuse any oily taste the duck may have had. Other wines by the glass ranged from $9 and up. My companion ordered the three flights of the Rhone Reds for $18, which consisted of the Eberle Cote-du-Rhone, Spencer Grenache, and Rosenblum Mourvedre.

Another item not to miss is the Herbed Frites for $6 with the truffled aioli, creamy thai chili sauce, and roasted tomato ketchup dipping sauces. Rivaling the best belgian frites in this area, including Brasserie Beck, these frites were cleaned up in an instant with its lightly herbed, non-greasy taste.

The only miss of the night for me was the Lobster Raviolo for $10. Like an open-faced sandwich, it was a strip of thick raviolo wrapped around the lobster filling, topped with a creamy tomato sauce. While my friend liked it a lot, I found parts of the pasta undercooked (doughy) to my tastes, and the smokiness of the tomato sauce really put me off, as I felt that the smokey flavor didn't really pair well with the filling. In addition, the filling really reminded me of a crab dip, the texture mushy and meshy. But, the flavor was definitely there.

Enology has a simple cheese selection that is ordered in flights of three, four or five, and chosen from the Blue, Cow, Goat or Sheep sections. Aside from choosing a flight of three ($12) of the Blue Westfield Hubbardson (goat's milk with a mushroomy, creamy taste), Uplands "Pleasant Ridge" Cows cheese, and Nancy's Hudson Camembert (a smooth, buttery, triple creme), we indulged in a Chocolate Torte from the dessert selection as well. The cheese flight of three comes with four slices of bread, a side of olives, three small wedges of the cheeses and some quince paste. The torte was also served as a wedge, plated with creme fraiche and raspberry sauce.

What paired really well was the combined bite of the torte plus camembert. The creaminess of this camembert resulted in a marscapone-like effect with chocolate. Corbin was a wonderful server and gentleman, and Enology was satisfying and unwinded two stressed-out mamas for the evening.

The new expanded menu at Enology is very nice - a great improvement over the old small menu. As has probably been said above, it's all about smallish-mediumish-sized plates. We had five and all were quite good: salad (w blue cheese, dried cherries and whatnot), beet carpaccio, tuna burger 'sliders', spice-rubbed salmon with bok choy and caramelized onions, and awesome little french fries. Really really awesome herbed french fries, and everything else was good enough to eat every bite of, too. This is definitely worth a trip - not for atmosphere or energy necessarily (at least not in early evening) but for good food and drink. Menu, with more elaborate descriptions than mine, at http://www.enologydc.com/

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be doing a Gin class this Sat,14th at Enology from 3:15-5 pm. The price is $52 PP, and I have about 10 seats left. We will be tasting 3 different gins,learning about its history and then you will be making the designated cocktail yourself and enjoy it with some apps. A great way to start your Sat evening. :rolleyes: Here is the link with the sign up forms.

http://www.veritasdc.com/wp-content/uploads/gin.pdf

Wanted to let everyone know that tonight is my ARTINI hosting night at Enology. The artist will be there along with her painting and the special cocktail will be offered at 20% off. My creation is Blanco tequila, with Blood Orange juice, Sparkling wine and a Kaffir lime foam with lime zest. The colors match her great work of art and tastes pretty darn good as well IMHO :rolleyes: But please come in a decide for yourself.

I know that as a bartender at Enology, I am not necessarily supposed to talk my own place up, but I feel I'd be doing the DR community injustice if I didn't speak to our new menu and the chef that put it together. There are some new and very fun items on there. The Buffalo Frog Legs, the crab deviled eggs and the new steak frites which is now served with a béarnaise sauce are out of this world. Some of the old favorites are still there including the Angus beef sliders and the pesto flatbread. The wine list has changed and for the price is one of the most eclectic and economic lists you will find in the city. Chef Johnny Nielsen has put together a brunch menu which will start this Saturday (April 18th) which has among its items, a scallop BLT, Eggs Benedict and a REALLY good steak and eggs platter. We are going to have some fun new brunch cocktails that will be served as well. Hope to see you up there - JHB

Just a note to let everyone know that this Saturday from 4-6, I am teaching a "intro to Mixology" class at Enology. Cost is $40 PP and is limited to 20 people. I have about 9 spots left and it is a great way to start your Sat or a new career :D Food, drinks and a great gift bag are included. Just go to our website EnologyDC.com to sign up. Look under events and click on the Mixology class to get your form. I really enjoy teaching these classes and guarantee you'll have a fun time.

http://www.enologydc.com/wp-content/upload...logymadness.pdf

We popped in here last Sat night while waiting for a table at 2 Amys. Only had a couple of cocktails so can't speak to the food. I had a very tasty Brown Derby, another had a delicious Cucumber/Thyme gin concoction. The only one that wasn't a hit was the Tarragon mojito which my wife felt was a little bitter compared to a "regular" mojito. Service was outstanding - we'll be back for food in the near future.

And curse me for waiting so long to return to Enology, which, on Saturday night, squarely positioned itself in my mind as one of my three favorite wine bars in town (along with Cork and Proof). Chris Cunningham is a masterful presence behind the bar - along with the Two Johns, it's a formidable bartending crew with an excellent wine list, good beers, and well-made cocktails. Perhaps even more importantly, Johnny Nielsen has taken over as chef, and I believe he has finally come into his own here. I've tracked him since Aria, and I don't think he has ever been putting out plates of good. Want to see for yourself? Order the Buffalo Frog Legs ($9). Yes, Buffalo Frog Legs. They're just what you think they are, and I've never seen this dish before, anywhere. And they are awesome! The Herbed Frites ($7) are terrific, and the other plates I saw (but did not try) looked like they're clicking on all cylinders. How much did I like Enology? I'll be back there in the next week, that's how much.

The weather was perfect last night for a patio dinner at Enology. Going a bit deeper into their menu (Crispy Calamari ($7), Crab Deviled Eggs ($9), Herbed Frites ($7), Yellowfin Tuna Sliders ($9), Angus Beef Sliders ($9)), my recommendation is to make a $25 meal consisting of the Tuna Sliders with Herbed Frites, and then the Buffalo Frog Legs (saving the second half of the fries). I'd go with the Arneis by the glass, which can carry you through both courses.

Enology doesn't threaten 2 Amys on the culinary front, but it's at a higher level than the other options on that strip (particularly its direct competition, Cactus Cantina and Cafe Deluxe). Drink-wise, it has them beat by a mile - the bar is welcoming and vibrant, and every single service professional I've encountered has been courteous and competent.

Cheers,

Rocks.

After the promise of an hour's wait for a single seat at 2 Amy's bar, I headed across the street to Enology. The oudoor tables were hopping, but there was plenty of space at the long marble bar. Chris had a harrowing tale to tell about a motorcycle mishap near Front Royal this afternoon, but he and his biking buddy are both okay. I started with a very generous plate of Jamie Stachowski charcuterie--thick triangles of terrine and several slices each of bresaola and salame, with a pile of thin slices of forgettable bread, a puddle of Dijon mustard and a small crock of olives and cornichon. This is enough for two to share and a great deal for $9. I had a glass of Ridge Lytton Springs zinfandel, which was rich and tannic enough to stand up to the big flavors and fattiness of the charcuterie. i wasn't full enough, so at Chris' urging, I had the Buffalo frogs' legs, which were sweet, meaty and spicy and all that was left after I had my way with them, was a pile of neatly gnawed little bones.To go with them, a wine flight that Chris made up for me of a Seghesio Arneis, a CA gewurz and Clos La Chance grenache--which he said would all go well with the froggies. The two whites were very similarly floral and spicy, with my favorite being the Arneis. And while I don't usually go for 100% grenache wines when they are from Spain, this CA one was very quaffable. Jonathan is out of town, but I will try to talk him into going back with me sometime soon--the promise of Jamie Stachowski's terrine will probably do the trick.

Hello to all...I just finished counting my inventory the other day and I don't want to spend that much time counting bottles anymore :( ....So here's the DEAL OF THE DAY- TONIGHT ONLY...ANY BOTTLEs THAT IS NOT ON THE BY THE GLASS LIST ARE HALF PRICED!!!!!!! EXAMPLE---MAGNUM OF FAUST CABERNET- USUALLY $150= $75 TONIGHT!!!!

I did this deal last night while I was talking to a guest, as a result, they bought the last 3 Sine Qua Non syrahs for $125.00 as opposed to $250 :P:D:D Let's consider it my version of the Pre Macy's Thanksgiving sale..but with Wine!!!

remember also that you can take it with you if you don't finish it!!!! SEE YOU TONIGHT!!!!

Location, Location, Location.....they say location is everything :angry:

I wanted to let everyone know that the Enology run will be ending, not on a bad note, but on a different note. After 17 months of riding out a recession, making enough $$$ to get by and evolving with the neighborhood, Enology will be morphing into "ALLIANCE TAVERN". :lol:

Getting by financially is just not good enough and combined with who our neighbours are and what they seem to want, we have decided to transform ourselves into what I hope will be the perfect corner tavern. If you've stopped by lately, you will notice that I have recently repainted, decorated, added 8 TV's, a new menu and 8 Draft beers are on the way next week. Enology was a great concept, just not for that location. We will be relocating Enology or a hybrid there of consisting of old and new world wines, great cocktails, beer and food bites to another location next year...perhaps the West End B)

Change is not always a bad thing, and while it is a bit frustrating, it is better to be able to adapt and alter one's course than not be able to continue at all. We were considering waiting a bit longer to make these changes, but there is not going to be a metro coming my way anytime soon, or a pro business neighboorhood group that wants change (EX. Giant redevelopment).

Johnny has assembled a great menu that is welcoming to all, including kids as well. We will still have over 60 great wines by the taste, glass and bottle that will change as often as I see fit (especially by going to a 2 page menu as opposed to the old 30 page one and getting rid of all bottles that are not available by the glass) still have Jamie Stachowski's great meats,and a great line up of beers that include Starr Hill, Goose Island, Stone Mill, Full Cirlce etc.

The new awning and name should be going up soon, other than that, we have already changed everything else without any down time or closure. I also did away with reservations and Open Table....so our seating is come as you are and first come.

I hope that you all drop by and check us out when you can. I will also let you know when we will reopen in another location next year.