Broccoli Rabe

hillvalley

I have a love affair with broccoli rabe. For once I have found a veggie that is good for me, not overly priced, and available in the fall. Currently I have a pan braising on my stove ala Molly's Braising Bible. This has become my go to recipe. I'm ready for something new. Something that takes away the peppery bite but still brings out rabe to all its glory.

Ideas?

Classic combo is orecchiette w broccoli rabe. I don't care for this particular pasta shape (too dense)--but love the dish w penne or other short, stubby dried pastas. Lots of garlic, red chili flakes and olive oil. Pecorino, though some prefer it without cheese.*

Another is Italian sausage, which I am guessing you can find made w poultry vs. pork. Only thing to keep it kosher is to omit cheese.

I made a pizza a couple of weeks ago w b.r., red onions and sausage. Could have easily used the same dough to make a torta (vegetable tart) stuffed w a variety of greens, including b.r. or impanade---similar to calzones.

*ETA: Especially when adding an anchovy or two to the pan where the fish dissolves into the oil. Doesn't taste fishy at all--not really detectable. Just enhances flavor.

Classic combo is orecchiette w broccoli rabe. I don't care for this particular pasta shape (too dense)--but love the dish w penne or other short, stubby dried pastas. Lots of garlic, red chili flakes and olive oil. Pecorino, though some prefer it without cheese.

Another is Italian sausage, which I am guessing you can find made w poultry vs. pork. Only thing to keep it kosher is to omit cheese.

I made a pizza a couple of weeks ago w b.r., red onions and sausage. Could have easily used the same dough to make a torta (vegetable tart) stuffed w a variety of greens, including b.r. or impanade---similar to calzones.

On the subject of this thead, I had an unsatisfactory experience recently cooking this stuff--I tried to braise it in minimal water and oil, and a goodly part of it quickly turned brown and mushy. I have the impression one should first blanch it, then proceed with whatever recipe one wants. Is that correct? Or what did I do wrong?

On the subject of this thead, I had an unsatisfactory experience recently cooking this stuff--I tried to braise it in minimal water and oil, and a goodly part of it quickly turned brown and mushy. I have the impression one should first blanch it, then proceed with whatever recipe one wants. Is that correct? Or what did I do wrong?

It must not have been very fresh to turn brown like that. If you cut off (or pare down) the thicker stems, you can saute it without blanching. My wife cooks up rabe all the time. I mean a lot! We must have it 2 or 3 times a week. To her credit, she does a great job with it-- sauteed in EVOO, sliced garlic, and red pepper flakes.

I'll have to check out Molly's recipe and see if my 'ol lady will mind a change of pace.

Was there anything acidic in the recipe? What kind of pan?

No recipe--I was just foolin' around, as usual. The pan would have been stainless, but now that you mention it I seem to recall I may have thrown in some lemon juice or something like that. Could have been the culprit. If so, can one not use acidifiers at all, or only after blanching?

No recipe--I was just foolin' around, as usual. The pan would have been stainless, but now that you mention it I seem to recall I may have thrown in some lemon juice or something like that. Could have been the culprit. If so, can one not use acidifiers at all, or only after blanching?

Bingo. Use lemon juice on green veg at your peril. If I use juice, I squirt a little on just before plating. Often, I grate some zest on green beans, broccoli, etc. while re-heating, after blanching and shocking. The zest gives lemon flavor without turning the green to grey.

Is blanching the way to deal with the bitterness of this? I sauteed some rabe up the other day in garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil. I used it to top a roasted pork and provolone sandwich. It was good, but definitely bitter.

Is blanching the way to deal with the bitterness of this? I sauteed some rabe up the other day in garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil. I used it to top a roasted pork and provolone sandwich. It was good, but definitely bitter.

It is bitter. That is its nature. Instead, you might try broccolini-- a veg that looks very similar, but is much less bitter

So I cooked some recently by simply sauteing in olive oil, but the result was way to bitter. I checked online after the fact and saw recommendations to blanch beforehand as a way to reduce some of the bitterness. Anyone know if this works or have any other tips for cutting out some of the bitterness?

Thanks in advance!

So I cooked some recently by simply sauteing in olive oil, but the result was way to bitter. I checked online after the fact and saw recommendations to blanch beforehand as a way to reduce some of the bitterness. Anyone know if this works or have any other tips for cutting out some of the bitterness?

Thanks in advance!

I think it works but I don't bother. I just heat some olive oil in a pan, sweat some onion and garlic then add the rapini along with some (about 1/2 cup) water. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until soft. When done I turn up the heat to reduce the liquid (if any is left) and spritz with some fresh lemon and serve. The results are never too bitter for me, but then again I do love a good puntarella salad. :lol:

Blanching the rabe in strongly simmering water for about 2 minutes, then shocking it in ice water does cut down on the bitterness. I find that because I've been eating it for many years, I could skip this step. But, my DH is sensitive to the bitterness, and for the sake of us both enjoying it during our meal, I blanch and shock it. It doesn't take to much time.

Definitely buy yourself some more and treat it with this method before sauteing it up.

Thanks for reminding me of the provinence of rabe. I so love it.

I just stumbled across something that suggested that rave is very close to turnip greens.

Also, some say that it was rapini that the Rapunzel's mother craved, thus setting that whole sordid set of incidents in motion.