Things You Make That You Hate But Others Love...

mame11

For the past few years I have been charged with making a sweet potato dish for Thanksgiving that everybody else in my family loves. I have never liked the dish. Ever.

Seriously, who thought of combining sweet potatoes, pineapple, and maraschino cherries? Oh I forgot the marshmallows.

Et tu? What dishes do you make because someone you love loves the dish?

For example, a friend grills meat better than anyone I know. He is a vegetarian but his wife is an omnivore. He cooks the meat for his wife...

For the past few years I have been charged with making a sweet potato dish for Thanksgiving that everybody else in my family loves. I have never liked the dish. Ever.

Seriously, who thought of combining sweet potatoes, pineapple, and maraschino cherries? Oh I forgot the marshmallows.

Et tu? What dishes do you make because someone you love loves the dish?

I don't know, but am about to lose my breakfast. That sounds ghastly.

Anything chocolate. Especially cake. If I make something for someone that requires tempered chocolate, it really is a labor of love.

And I'll second the turkey. By the time I prep it, cook it and carve it, I am tired of that big dead bird. I only make it for the gravy. :blink:

In my teenage years, I used to make pineapple upside down cake from a box (Duncan Hines, if you're curious) and call it cooking. Compared to my family members, it was the closest thing to cooking for miles.

Would you believe that at least five family members request the same damn cake even though I am now somewhat more capable in the kitchen??

I have that problem with cooking chicken for my girlfriend. She, for some reason that only she and god knows, likes chicken to be dry and chewy. It takes all my energy to force myself to do that to an already bland product and it also means I have to time the chicken for two different people... ahhhhhhhh!