Hill's Kitchen

Tweaked

I went to Riverby Books this weekend; turns out their (extremely nice) manager, Leah, is the one opening Hill's Kitchen. She anticipates opening in March with kitchen stuff downstairs and a space for classes upstairs.

She's planning on having some interesting items in stock, such as cheese boards made from the marble used at the National Gallery and other DC buildings. Very much looking forward to the place opening.

Does anyone know when this store is going to open? I walked by a few days before the end of March and there were still permits plastered all over the windows. It was hard to tell how close to opening it was. I gather it didn't make the opening in late March target date. The website hasn't been updated with opening information either.

It's open! Hill's Kitchen has a great selection of cookware and accessories to suit all stripes and types of cooks. I ducked in tonight for about 6 minutes, so I can't give a full review. (I was supposed to be on the Metro to meet a friend, but I could not resist when I saw that it was open. Yes, I was late, but friend is also a cook, so she forgave me....)

What I did see included saute pans, dutch ovens, spices, pastry accessories and more. They do have demo space for classes upstairs, but that will probably come later after they settle in a bit. I'm very glad about this--I now have a resource that's close to home rather than going across the river to VA when I'm in need of something. If you are going to Eastern Market, check this place out---they are located next to the FedExKinkos to your right as you come up at the Eastern Market Metro stop.

It's open! Hill's Kitchen has a great selection of cookware and accessories to suit all stripes and types of cooks. I ducked in tonight for about 6 minutes, so I can't give a full review. (I was supposed to be on the Metro to meet a friend, but I could not resist when I saw that it was open. Yes, I was late, but friend is also a cook, so she forgave me....)

What I did see included saute pans, dutch ovens, spices, pastry accessories and more. They do have demo space for classes upstairs, but that will probably come later after they settle in a bit. I'm very glad about this--I now have a resource that's close to home rather than going across the river to VA when I'm in need of something. If you are going to Eastern Market, check this place out---they are located next to the FedExKinkos to your right as you come up at the Eastern Market Metro stop.

Yay! I've been looking forward to this. I'll try to stop by there later today.

Very cool store. Lots of merchandise, but not at all crowded--a very open space. She has some "usual suspect" items, such as a few Cuisinart appliances, buy also a lot of things I haven't seen in other stores--or at least never notice because they were so packed with stuff. One of the specialties is cookie cutters from each of the 50 states, plus a unique DC-shaped cutter that Leah designed herself and had manufactured. I overheard her tell a customer that she would help create a custom shower/wedding registry list for a friend, so I think she's trying to be very customer-service-oriented for locals. I look forward to exploring it in more detail, but this is a wonderful addition not just to the Hill but to the District--it gives the chain kitchen stores a run for their money, albeit on a smaller scale, in terms of quality and selection.

Very cool store. Lots of merchandise, but not at all crowded--a very open space. She has some "usual suspect" items, such as a few Cuisinart appliances, buy also a lot of things I haven't seen in other stores--or at least never notice because they were so packed with stuff.

I felt this way as well. It's larger than I thought and very nicely laid out.

One of the things I really liked was the labelling. It was very clear from the labels what everything was and how it could be used. It's very annoying to find something in a kitchen store and wonder what on earth the implement is to be used for.

I'm happy the store is open and I wish her great success.

Wow -- Hill's Kitchen is the place to be at 10:30 on Saturday morning. I walked the dog up there to wear him out while I spent the rest of my gift certificate, and the place was mobbed; Milo even met a small Schnauzer named Pepper (which, you have to admit, is a great name for a dog who happens to be in a kitchen-goods store ... I guess it's a good name when the dog is not in said store, too). I hadn't had a chance to stop in and see Leah in some time, and I found adorable tea towels, some new dish towels made of bamboo, silcone ice cube trays (so I can make coffee ice cubes for iced coffee; not having trays to do this is thus far the only downside to the automatic ice-maker I've yet to find), and Apple iPhone earbuds. Wait, those weren't for sale -- a mutual friend grabbed them for me when he went to buy his iPhone 4 the other day, and left them there for me to pick up when he did errands yesteray.

That last piece of information is, of course, entirely irrelevant to the store, except that it reminds me how big a part of the community the place has become over the past couple of years. As with many of the small businesses in the Eastern Market area, Hill's Kitchen is devoted to bettering Capitol Hill, and more than that, being a part of it. Several people there were buying gifts (birthday, wedding shower, off a gift registry); others needed items for grilling outdoors tonight before dashing across the street to Eastern Market to get the grillables themselves. The store also partners with Peregrine to do coffee cuppings on Friday afternoons (although those are off for the summer) and runs heavily-subscribed cooking classes. It's a vibrant little shop with an enthusiastic staff, and if my new spatula cost me a dollar or two more than at Target -- which I'm not actually convinced it did -- well, I'm happy to spend it.

Wow -- Hill's Kitchen is the place to be at 10:30 on Saturday morning. I walked the dog up there to wear him out while I spent the rest of my gift certificate, and the place was mobbed; Milo even met a small Schnauzer named Pepper (which, you have to admit, is a great name for a dog who happens to be in a kitchen-goods store ... I guess it's a good name when the dog is not in said store, too). I hadn't had a chance to stop in and see Leah in some time, and I found adorable tea towels, some new dish towels made of bamboo, silcone ice cube trays (so I can make coffee ice cubes for iced coffee; not having trays to do this is thus far the only downside to the automatic ice-maker I've yet to find), and Apple iPhone earbuds. Wait, those weren't for sale -- a mutual friend grabbed them for me when he went to buy his iPhone 4 the other day, and left them there for me to pick up when he did errands yesteray.

That last piece of information is, of course, entirely irrelevant to the store, except that it reminds me how big a part of the community the place has become over the past couple of years. As with many of the small businesses in the Eastern Market area, Hill's Kitchen is devoted to bettering Capitol Hill, and more than that, being a part of it. Several people there were buying gifts (birthday, wedding shower, off a gift registry); others needed items for grilling outdoors tonight before dashing across the street to Eastern Market to get the grillables themselves. The store also partners with Peregrine to do coffee cuppings on Friday afternoons (although those are off for the summer) and runs heavily-subscribed cooking classes. It's a vibrant little shop with an enthusiastic staff, and if my new spatula cost me a dollar or two more than at Target -- which I'm not actually convinced it did -- well, I'm happy to spend it.

Thanks for the recommendation about Hill's Kitchen. I will definitely visit there on my next trip to Capitol Hill. Does anyone know if they carry non-perishable foods (e.g. vanilla beans) too? I look forward to visiting soon...heatwave or not.