Kielbasa Factory

Al Dente

Hi All-- driving home last night I noticed a "Now Open" sign on the door of a tiny shop in the shopping center just south of Penzey's and across the Pike. (Sorry, that's a specific as I can get-- the Pike is one long ugly strip mall to me)

Anyone know the scoop?

Off topic: Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of "Kielbasa Factory" boxer shorts?

Hi All-- driving home last night I noticed a "Now Open" sign on the door of a tiny shop in the shopping center just south of Penzey's and across the Pike. (Sorry, that's a specific as I can get-- the Pike is one long ugly strip mall to me)

Anyone know the scoop?

Off topic: Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of "Kielbasa Factory" boxer shorts?

The Kielbasa Factory Polish & European Deli and Grocery website advertises quite a number of products and services

but I don't see any boxers.

Would you like to receive a FREE $5.00 Gift Card to use on your first shopping experience at the Kielbasa Factory?

Would you like to sign up to receive information about promotions, specials or new arrivals in our store?

If your answer is YES, than all what you need do is SIGN UP as a Preferred Customer.

Preferred Customers may sign up by e-mailing us at KielbasaFactory@comcast.net with your first and last name, home address and telephone number, please type “Subscribe” in the subject line. Your FREE $5.00 Gift Card will be sent to your home address (The Kielbasa Factory will not sell any of your personal contact information).

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry, our FREE $5.00 GIFT CARD promotion is limited. You need to sign up now!!!

Do you have friends or family members that may be interested to receive information about the Kielbasa Factory, please give them our store web-site.

Please Note: Only one Gift card per address and household.

I stopped here on an errand-running trip to Rockville (Penzeys, as well as Yekta and European Delight grocery in the strip with Joe's Noodle House). At first I didn't think it was open, despite the "Grand Opening" sign, because it looked empty from the outside. When I went in, I discovered that the store as currently set up is oriented towards people coming in from the back of the shopping center, not the Rockville Pike side. Presumably, they'll do more with the Pike side of the store once they're open a while.

They have a number of products in common with European Delight, and may be a source of competition. KF is Polish and EuD seems to be primarily Russian. Both have fresh baked goods and deli counters, but Kielbasa Factory has more sausages, particularly (duh) kielbasa. I bought 2 kielbasa with garlic, something that translates as hunter bacon, some sliced veal loaf, and several packs of frozen pierogi (mushroom, sauerkraut and mushroom, and potato and cheese). I was the only non-Polish speaker in there. People were quite friendly.

I bought a hunter sausage (veal and pork) at European Delight, and I'll have to see how it compares to hunter bacon. I also bought a nice loaf of Russian bread there and some kind of pastry roll thing that looked good, but I don't know what it is :(.

Anyone know the scoop?

Mushman and I tried some of the traditional polish kielbasa with garlic. It was wonderful-- juicy, slightly smoky, and not particularly garlicky-- sliced, fried, and served with scrambled eggs.

After driving by it a couple of hundred times, I finally stopped in yesterday afternoon. A nice little shop! I perused the pickles, pondered the pierogis, and studied the sausage. It was crowded for such a hole in the wall specialty joint and a lot of Polish was spoken. I grabbed a few goodies and will try them out this week. I recommend the "gypsy" style salami-- a little garlic, a little peppercorn, and very delicious. I've been grabbing a slice every time I pass my fridge.

Stop by and check it out!

After driving by it a couple of hundred times, I finally stopped in yesterday afternoon. A nice little shop! I perused the pickles, pondered the pierogis, and studied the sausage. It was crowded for such a hole in the wall specialty joint and a lot of Polish was spoken. I grabbed a few goodies and will try them out this week. I recommend the "gypsy" style salami-- a little garlic, a little peppercorn, and very delicious. I've been grabbing a slice every time I pass my fridge.

Stop by and check it out!

I stopped by yesterday too. Many of their products are imported from NYC, such as the paczki- filled donuts (pronounced poonch-key). Paczki are very popular before lent, particularly Fat Tuesday for American Poles (in Poland, Fat Thursday-the Thursday before Ash Wednesday). It's a pre-lenten indulgence. KF paczki were rather dry and I'd rather have a fresh Krispy Kreme for the calories. Not recommended.

Other danish looked tempting however.

I got a smoked kielbasa which tastes good. Fresh kielbasa is underseasoned and needs garlic, garlic and garlic.*

Right now, I have the smoked regular size kielbasa and some kabanosa (skinny kielbasa aka Polish SlimJim) braising with beer in the crockpot. Later, I'll throw in some sauerkraut and saute up some of their potato and cheese pierogies (also from NYC) with butter and onions, and top with sour cream.

I was surprised they didn't have fresh horseradish in the refrigerator as this is so commonly paired with kielbasa.

I'll return for the smoked kielbasas and lunch meats, for sure. Sadly, not for the fresh (paging Chef On Call Stachowski....)

*compared to Czerw's in Philly where you come out smelling like smoke and the fresh kielbasa's garlic will stink up your car for a week. Exactly as it should be.

From their newsletter:

February 11th - Tłusty Czwartek or Fat Thursday is celebrated in Poland on the preceding Thursday before Ash Wednesday.

February 16th - Pączki Day or Fat Tuesday is celebrated in the USA on the day before Ash Wednesday.

We will have Pączki and Chruściki (Angel Wings) on both days.

For February 11, 2010 - orders need to be placed before 2pm on Wednesday - February 10, 2010.

For February 16, 2010 - orders need to be placed before Monday - February 15, 2010.

To place order, please call us at 240-453-9090.

BEER!!!

We just received a new shipment of Tyskie, Zywiec and Okocim beer and Nalewka Babuni wine.

Now we have Tyskie and Zywiec in 6-packs. We also have 0.5 liter bottles of EB, Lomza, Perla, Zywiec, Zywiec Porter, Okocim Porter and Baltica.

Our wine selection includes Polish Nalewka Babuni (Cherry, Honey, Peach and Rasberry) - great with Pączki, a large selection of Georgian and Romanian wines.

P.S. Also a good place to get Stachowski brand fresh Kielbasa.