Challenge: Pick Anything From Calphalon

CrescentFresh

So, I took advantage of the lifetime warranty for Calphalon products and sent in a de-anodized stock pot that I've had for years. They sent back a "comparable" stock pot since they no longer make the one that I originally had. However, it's actually incomparable, because it's tiny compared to what I sent them. An 8 qt stock pot is not going to cut it for me.

Bottom line is this: They're allowing me to pick one item of anything I can find in their product catalog.

Naturally, I can't pick a full set of something. But if you could pick one single item from all of these with price being no object, what would you pick and why? Anodized? Copper? Stainless? Enameled iron? This is like Wheel of Fortune, only I'm not going to pick the stufffed giraffe for $300 and put the rest on a gift certificate.

So, I took advantage of the lifetime warranty for Calphalon products and sent in a de-anodized stock pot that I've had for years. They sent back a "comparable" stock pot since they no longer make the one that I originally had. However, it's actually incomparable, because it's tiny compared to what I sent them. An 8 qt stock pot is not going to cut it for me.

Bottom line is this: They're allowing me to pick one item of anything I can find in their product catalog.

Naturally, I can't pick a full set of something. But if you could pick one single item from all of these with price being no object, what would you pick and why? Anodized? Copper? Stainless? Enameled iron? This is like Wheel of Fortune, only I'm not going to pick the stufffed giraffe for $300 and put the rest on a gift certificate.

I've been meaning to do the same thing with two de-anodized pans I have from Calphalon--a windsor pan and 4.5 qt pot. To answer your question, I would never buy anodized cookware again. Acid foods still react with it (viz aforementioned deanodization), the dark tone makes it hard to judge the color or clarity of a consommé, for example, and it's hard to clean. In the catalog, I'd go for stainless steel or perhaps copper.

How did you send your pot back? What was the address?

I'm with Banco, I'd go with stainless or copper. Probably copper since I don't have any and wouldn't mind having someone else buy it for me :( . Maybe the 3-qt saute pan. There is the issue of polishing it to keep in mind....

The contemporary stainless line has some interesting pieces too - not sure if I'm loving the brushed finish though.

Have fun making your selection!

I sent back three or four Calphalon anodized pots after using them for about twenty years, and got replacements. But you've gotten the best offer, because now that I've bought a few All-Clad stainless pots, I hardly ever use my anodized aluminum ones anymore. I would go for a stainless dutch oven-type pot. Those are the most versatile and useful pots in my batterie. You can always pick up an inexpensive stainless stockpot. A heavy bottom isn't as important in a big stockpot.

I'd get one of them sexy copper pots or pans. Question though: what they're calling an omelette pan looks to me like a saute pan-- isn't it? I always though a saute pan should have flared sides for easy flipping and tossing. Their saute pan has straight sides.

I guess I have 3 All-Clad omelette pans and didn't know it. Gotta buy more eggs.

Edited to add: I've always questioned the wisdom of nearly black pots and pans. How do you see what you're doing?

I'd get one of them sexy copper pots or pans. Question though: what they're calling an omelette pan looks to me like a saute pan-- isn't it? I always though a saute pan should have flared sides for easy flipping and tossing. Their saute pan has straight sides.

I guess I have 3 All-Clad omelette pans and didn't know it. Gotta buy more eggs.

I think it makes sense. A sauteuse traditionally has straight sides, so maybe they're just being rather literal with their names.

All-clad has just come out with a new pan they call a French skillet, which for me will be the perfect saute vehicle, assuming Santa fulfills my wishes: Clickez vous ici!

So, I took advantage of the lifetime warranty for Calphalon products and sent in a de-anodized stock pot that I've had for years.

Stupid question of the day: how can you tell if your pot or pan is de-anodized? Is it something visible on the surface?