Gaffney's, Wisconsin Avenue in Downtown Bethesda - Heavy American Grub Recommended by Todd Kliman - Closed

The space now occupied by Willow in Ballston used to house a restaurant called Gaffney's, which was somewhat oriented toward New England-style seafood, from what I remember. The few times I ate there, I remember it being OK, but nothing to write home about. Not sure if there is any connection to the one in Bethesda.

My husband and I went for a light dinner this evening. The space is attractive and comfortable with a long bar, booths and tables. We were told they'll be adding an outdoor eating space in the spring. The food we tried was fine, if not great. I had onion soup gratinee which was flavorful and cheesey but a bit too salty. My husband's fried calamari was good. He also had the hamburger which was very good, cooked exactly as ordered and served with tasty French fries, crispy onions and slaw. I also tried sesame-crusted rare tuna. It was fine, but lacked punch. They also passed a basket of assorted breads served with two flavored butters which were good. There are lots of choices on the menu and prices are very reasonable. The service was pleasant and efficient. I'd say they're trying to be a reliable, friendly neighborhood place and they should fill that bill quite nicely. I would go back.

Before going to the theater in Bethesda, decided to try Gaffney's Happy Hour specials. Sat at the bar to take advantage of this (before 7 p.m.). We made a full meal of all 5 appetizer specials - Grilled Southwest Chicken Quesadilla, Korean Barbequed Beef with Wakame Cucumber Salad, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Oyster Shooters and Spicy Chicken Wings. My husband ate the 2 oysters and all the chicken wings and enjoyed them. We shared the rest and liked everything, especially the Korean Beef which was rare and succulent. Each serving was $4, so our very tasty "dinner" cost a mere $20. Of course we also took advantage of HH drink bargains. I must also mention the bartender who took care of us. He was speedy, efficient and friendly - a great server! We left feeling very happy with our entire experience.