Kozy Shack Rice Pudding

DonRocks

Vincent Gruppuso, 67, Seller of Pudding Snacks

Vincent Gruppuso, the founder of Kozy Shack Enterprises, a company in Hicksville, Long Island, that sells millions of four-ounce cups of pudding, particularly rice pudding, at supermarkets in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe, died Dec. 29 at his home in East Hampton, N.Y. He was 67.

The cause was complications of diabetes, said his son-in-law Michael Caridi.

As recently as a few years ago (when I last had it), Kozy Shack rice pudding was pretty good! I know there's a lot of wiggle room using "natural flavors" in product labeling, but especially by supermarket standards, I always felt pretty comfortable with the list of ingredients (click).

(NB - This is about as far as I go when it comes to Shopping and Cooking.)

As recently as a few years ago (when I last had it), Kozy Shack rice pudding was pretty good! I know there's a lot of wiggle room using "natural flavors" in product labeling, but especially by supermarket standards, I always felt pretty comfortable with the list of ingredients (click).
I like their tapioca pudding.

I've never quite understand the difference between the regular and the recently introduced French/European(?)-style, except that the original is white and the other yellow. The ingredient list seems to be quite similar. Some sort of aspirational marketing?
The European style has more of a custard base, hence the color, and really does bear a fairly close resemblance to English rice pudding (Ambrosia, for instance) - the benefit of the Kozy Shack version being that it doesn't come in a can and have a half-life measured in centuries. I don't think it's all that recent an introduction, though - we've been buying it for a few years now.

Cozy Shack's quite tasty, I do admit.

After dusting off my Lorna Sass's pressure cooker books lately, been meaning to attempt rice pudding in the pressure cooker [i've done regular rice and risotta with great results]. Maybe something to schedule in the next week or so!