Flour Fight '08

porcupine

Perhaps after the holidays, we can have a biscuit flour taste test. :blink:

Hmmm. Since we seem to have missed doing this after holiday 2006, perhaps we could do it pre-holiday 2007? I'd volunteer the kitchen at maison Miller and make a batch of my own for comparison sake.

Hmmm. Since we seem to have missed doing this after holiday 2006, perhaps we could do it pre-holiday 2007? I'd volunteer the kitchen at maison Miller and make a batch of my own for comparison sake.
Maybe we could combine it with tortilla making, which also hasn't happened.

Sounds like a floury dream come true! :blink: I'm definitely interested!

Sounds like a floury dream come true! :( I'm definitely interested!

I've been off the boards for a while (child #2 really takes it out of you), but was sculling about. Did the great floury tortilla/biscuit extravaganza ever happen? Did I miss an opportunity to learn how to make a biscuit that doesn't resemble a hockey puck (thank you for the recipe, Heather!)? I would offer to host, but my kitchen wouldn't support even two teachers and two students!

I've been off the boards for a while (child #2 really takes it out of you), but was sculling about. Did the great floury tortilla/biscuit extravaganza ever happen? Did I miss an opportunity to learn how to make a biscuit that doesn't resemble a hockey puck (thank you for the recipe, Heather!)? I would offer to host, but my kitchen wouldn't support even two teachers and two students!

I'm still willing to host another "toss flour all over procupine's kitchen" fest if there's enough interest. And Zora and I keep talking about tortilla making, too. And, congratulations! :(

And I'm still definitely interested! :(

I'm interested, as I have the least amount of patience and skill in baking. And I'll take whatever instruction is offered!

(It's funny you mention this now, as when we were enjoying the bread at Restaurant Eve last night, I was actually thinking "I'd like to learn to replicate (well at least try) something like this...I wonder if mktye would ever do a class?!") :(

I'm still willing to host another "toss flour all over porcupine's kitchen" fest if there's enough interest.
Looks like there are at least three people who are interested. Do you have a date in mind, Miss P.? Let's do this!
(It's funny you mention this now, as when we were enjoying the bread at Restaurant Eve last night, I was actually thinking "I'd like to learn to replicate (well at least try) something like this...I wonder if mktye would ever do a class?!") :(
For you, that could be arranged. :(

Anyone else who has interest in a bread-baking class please PM me.

Looks like there are at least three people who are interested. Do you have a date in mind, Miss P.? Let's do this!

For you, that could be arranged. :(

Anyone else who has interest in a bread-baking class please PM me.

Count me in for Miss P's class, and mktye's too. Mmm, baked goods.

I'm free the last weekend in January and the first three in February. Sat or Sun, early or late, matters not to me.

I'm willing to make puff pastry and brioche in several batches, so people can work with them at different stages in their development, but some dough will be ready to bake so we'll have final product, too. And hopefully The Amazing Ms Tye will do a yeast bread for us? And Heather, biscuits? And heck, if we can get Zora to come out, I could finally learn to make tortillas.

My kitchen has two ovens and a 4'x6' center island, with outlets, which twelve people can squeeze around together. Willing to host up to 20. If a few people brought some non-starchy, easy to heat dishes, we'd have one heckuva dinner after all the baking's done.

I'm going to set up a temporary email alias so we don't have to communicate through pm. Send mail to flourfight@IdRatherNotSay.com. But if this alias gets into the public domain and I start getting penis enlargement spam I'll kill it immediately. [Rocks, don't even think about it! :( ]

I'm free the last weekend in January and the first three in February. Sat or Sun, early or late, matters not to me.
I cannot do the last weekend in January (I have a date with some ducks) nor the 9th of February.
And hopefully The Amazing Ms Tye will do a yeast bread for us?
Just one? :( How would I ever choose?!? :(

If there is enough interest, we can also do a yeasted-bread-only day at another time. (No, you don't have to host that also, Miss P. Although Mr. P is definitely welcome to come clean up the resulting floury-mess at my house too!)

I cannot do the last weekend in January (I have a date with some ducks) nor the 9th of February.

Well, we can't do it without you, so I'm thinking Feb 10th or Feb 16th.

People, tell us what you want. What I wrote earlier are just suggestions. I'm all for providing the space and letting others do the teaching. If y'all want yeast breads, yeast breads it is. If y' want biscuits, we'll do bisquits.

Also: we could plan it so +1s arrive at dinnertime to help us eat. I promise that Mr P is the only +1 who will be asked to help clean the kitchen.

I'm excited to think this might be happening! I'm particularly a fan of learning more about biscuits and tortillas, so vote for a date that heather and zora can make it. I'm definitely out the first two weekends in February, but otherwise free. Thanks for offering to host, porcupine, and for the congrats! Life with two kids is good, even if it doesn't involve much baking.