Busan, Korea

thistle

Thanks, I'll try to visit Global market & Gamasot this week, & will report back. Hope you're having a good time in Busan-is it cold there? or abnormally warm, as it is here?
Is it cold in Busan....well, it's 1 degree at the moment and supposed to go to 6 so it's about normal for this time of the year. Let me get this on track (slightly) by saying that I've never seen quite so many varieties of fish in so many different forms. I was in the street markets yesterday and there is a huge number of streets dedicated to selling fish, fish and more fish. Also found the street that sells pork and you can buy everything from the snout to the tip of the tail. Hog heads seem to be an obsession with about 15 vendors selling pig's heads, cooked and neatly wrapped and ready to take home. (I think the Westin might be a bit put out if I showed up with a pigs head, however). There is a ton of street vendors selling everything you can think of. Odan is everywhere and all the fish cake vendors are busy...

Is it cold in Busan....well, it's 1 degree at the moment and supposed to go to 6 so it's about normal for this time of the year. Let me get this on track (slightly) by saying that I've never seen quite so many varieties of fish in so many different forms. I was in the street markets yesterday and there is a huge number of streets dedicated to selling fish, fish and more fish. Also found the street that sells pork and you can buy everything from the snout to the tip of the tail. Hog heads seem to be an obsession with about 15 vendors selling pig's heads, cooked and neatly wrapped and ready to take home. (I think the Westin might be a bit put out if I showed up with a pigs head, however). There is a ton of street vendors selling everything you can think of. Odan is everywhere and all the fish cake vendors are busy...

Oh dang, I love me some o-daeng! Either on a stick, or in broth, it's perfect for cutting the winter chill.

Did you find the street not too far from the train station that specializes in uncured bacon, sam gyup sal? Shop after shop... selling nothing but fatty bacon, ready to slather in soybean paste, wrap in lettuce, and stuff in your face!

Oh dang, I love me some o-daeng! Either on a stick, or in broth, it's perfect for cutting the winter chill.

Did you find the street not too far from the train station that specializes in uncured bacon, sam gyup sal? Shop after shop... selling nothing but fatty bacon, ready to slather in soybean paste, wrap in lettuce, and stuff in your face!

Started at the Ja Gal Chi market on Sunday and have been exploring every market since. An amazing variety of food from hot waffles with butter to fish shaped fish cakes to unknown pork pieces to...well, you name it and if it's edible, you can find it in the market somewhere. A lot of squid and octopus (both live and dried), lots of tanks of live fish ready to be taken home and cleaned and eaten, lots of old ladies selling everything. Makes Costco look small.

Started at the Ja Gal Chi market on Sunday and have been exploring every market since. An amazing variety of food from hot waffles with butter to fish shaped fish cakes to unknown pork pieces to...well, you name it and if it's edible, you can find it in the market somewhere. A lot of squid and octopus (both live and dried), lots of tanks of live fish ready to be taken home and cleaned and eaten, lots of old ladies selling everything. Makes Costco look small.

Ja Gal Chi is pretty awesome. Here are a couple of must-see places:

Beomeosa Temple - Beautiful temple up in the mountains

Taejongdae - Seaside park with magnificent cliffs

Gwangalli Beach - Lots of little shops and restaurants on the beachfront

There's a large restaurant on the main street that runs in front of the train station that serves nothing but steamed dumplings. They serve thousands and thousands of dumplings a day in the cavernous place. I wish that I knew the name, but if you ask a local, they could probably help you find it. I think that it's in Nampodong and it's fantastic.