Cesco Trattoria, Francesco Ricchi's Old School Italian on Cordell Avenue in Downtown Bethesda - Closed

I've passed this place several times and have never been tempted by it, but this month's Bethesda Magazine has an interview with Michel Richard and he names it one of his favorite restaurants in Bethesda (but so is Cafe Deluxe, though). Then, when I googled the restaurant, it comes up as a Roberto Donna restaurant (*). Is this true? [Can this board avoid implosion with the mention of his name?] It's mentioned in the Dining in Bethesda , but I'm surprised that a Donna restaurant (if it still is one) wouldn't have more interest on this board.

I like how they have a 10 year old review by Phyllis Richman. Nothing like keeping current. According to Robertodonna.com (your source of all things Roberto) he only lists Bebo, Galileo, and Laboratorio del Galileo, so like the review it is quite dated.

I've passed this place several times and have never been tempted by it, but this month's Bethesda Magazine has an interview with Michel Richard and he names it one of his favorite restaurants in Bethesda (but so is Cafe Deluxe, though). Then, when I googled the restaurant, it comes up as a Roberto Donna restaurant (*). Is this true? [Can this board avoid implosion with the mention of his name?] It's mentioned in the Dining in Bethesda , but I'm surprised that a Donna restaurant (if it still is one) wouldn't have more interest on this board.

"Cesco" is short for Francesco - as in Ricchi, as in i Ricchi. I have no idea if Donna was ever involved. For the first several years it was open, it was one of my favorite restaurants - fantastic food in a laid-back (but not casual) setting. Then it went through a rough patch, uneven food, poor service, yadda yadda, and I haven't been back. I don't know if Ricchi is still involved or not, or what it's like any more. If you do go, please write about it. I'd love to have it back on my list.

It's been very good for us! We go there quite often. The service is good and there are always lots of specials. We think Cesco is in the kitchen because we often see him at the restaurant.

A couple of weeks ago we had a chestnut soup and an arugula salad with warm goat cheese. There are always fish specials but last time I got a grilled pork chop nicely done. My wife's risotto had artichoke and crab meat. We often get their risotto of the day. Orata is a good fish on the regular menu.

I don't recall a period of spotty service and we've been going for years but maybe we've been lucky!

The last time Don Rocks posted about passing by a nearly empty Grapeseed then dropping in on David Craig's place we happened to also be in Bethesda, eating at Cesco's and marveling at the number of specials they were offering that night! For us, it's one of our favorites in Bethesda. Maybe we just feel comfortable there and we can easily pop in on weeknights without a reservation.

"Cesco" is short for Francesco - as in Ricchi, as in i Ricchi. I have no idea if Donna was ever involved.

Donna was definitely a financial backer at the beginning, but given the deletion from his website some years ago (still cached at Google), I'm guessing Francesco bought him out.

Donna was definitely a financial backer at the beginning, but given the deletion from his website some years ago (still cached at Google), I'm guessing Francesco bought him out.

That's my understanding as well [at one time Donna was affiliated w/ Cesco, but since then the that partnership ended]

The last time Don Rocks posted about passing by a nearly empty Grapeseed then dropping in on David Craig's place we happened to also be in Bethesda, eating at Cesco's and marveling at the number of specials they were offering that night!

Cesco does have a lot of specials, and a couple good freebies, too. One of the best things this weekend was the amuse, a bowl of potato omelet wedges in tomato sauce. The bread basket was fairly ordinary except for a sun-dried tomato focaccia which seemed housemade. After all that starch it may be counterintuitive to order the Bruschetta Tricolore ($6.95), but do it anyway. Three large pieces of thick, grilled bread, thoughtfully cut in half for me and my young dining companion, thoroughly drizzled with good olive oil (a decent oil is key here), and topped with diced tomatoes, warm cannellini beans, and broccoli rabe (yes I know you know it's the Italian flag and all that). I'm not a huge bruschetta fan in general, but this was really well done.

The housemade pastas were decent, but didn't fare as well as the opening salvo. Tortelloni di Vitella alla Bolognese ($14.95) was the better of the two, the somewhat overcooked pasta stuffed with minced veal and topped with a mild bolognese sauce - there really wasn't anything not to like about it, but there really wasn't anything to love either. Crespelle Fiorentina ($14.95) was mushy rolled crepes, stuffed with mushy veal and spinach, and positively drowning in a tomato-based bechamel sauce that tasted primarily of vinegar, most likely a spasm from one of the line cooks.

Cheers,

Rocks.