Duck Confit

Rieux

I made a last-minute 2 day work trip to Paris earlier this week (not as much fun as it sounds). The upshot was that I had a bit of free time, and wandered down the main drag of the Ile St-Louis and bought some duck confit from a producer called Le Petit Scierie. It's 2 legs in a mason jar with the fat and it says it is good until 2010.

Now, what the hell do I do with it? I am a huge confit fan when I eat out, but have never actually tried to do anything at home with it. Do I cook it? Just take it out of the fat and eat it?

Any suggestions, help?

I made a last-minute 2 day work trip to Paris earlier this week (not as much fun as it sounds). The upshot was that I had a bit of free time, and wandered down the main drag of the Ile St-Louis and bought some duck confit from a producer called Le Petit Scierie. It's 2 legs in a mason jar with the fat and it says it is good until 2010.

Now, what the hell do I do with it? I am a huge confit fan when I eat out, but have never actually tried to do anything at home with it. Do I cook it? Just take it out of the fat and eat it?

Any suggestions, help?

Take it out of the fat, toss in a hot cast iron pan for a few minutes to brown, then the whole thing into an oven until heated through.

Or shred the meat, put it a food processor with a tablespoon or more of the fat, and briefly chop until you have rillettes. Spread over toasted country bread with plenty of pepper.

Or shred the meat and make duck confit burritos.

Mmm, I just made myself hungry and fortunately enough I have some duck legs I confited a month ago sitting in my fridge. :mellow:

Let it sit out until it reaches room temperature. Sautee it slowly until crisp. In the mean time, make pommes persillade. Mix some of the duck fat with soy sauce and sherry vinegar and toss it on a salad. Pull the cork on a tasty but inexpensive Cotes du Rhone.

What is it always DUCK confit???

Sure there's tomato confit, lemon confit, onion confit... but when it comes to meat it's always DUCK confit.

Why?

I know duck is great and everything, but could you confit a chicken? Would you want to?

Tom Power of Corduroy has made chicken confit before, click. He might have made this for one of our dinners there before too. I know I have had it and it was good.

It's also good when made with good oven-rendered lard.

I like to add some water and chopped onions to my pork fat when I render it. The water keeps the fat from going over 212 degrees and the onions add flavor. When done, strain the onions out and eat. Do not get cholesterol tested the next day! let the lard solidify and knead to get any water out.