Celebrity Deli of Potomac - Closed

I know we've discussed Celebrity before, but all I found in a search was posts about it in topics for other delis.

Found myself here at lunch today while doing other errands at the Cabin John Mall. I'd last been there over a year ago, and had such a terrible meal, that even though I'd eaten well there in the past, it had been off my regular rotation.

No longer.

A bowl of matzo ball soup was just what the weather ordered, and just like grandma used to make. A large bowl of obviously homemade broth, not too salty, and swimming with chunks of chicken, vegetables, and noodles. And a HUGE matzo ball, airy and light as a feather. If you grew up eating the cannonball-style matzo balls, this was not for you.

While waiting for my sandwich, nibbled on the pickle bowl. Pretty standard - a couple of half sours, some slices of dill, and a pickled tomato. Nothing special. The Dr. Brown's sodas are thankfully kept in a cold fridge - I don't know why the trend around here seems to be to keep them near room temperature, so they get watered down when you pour them over ice.

The pastrami sandwich was first rate. Not too thinly cut, well spiced, and nicely fatty, and steamed just until it was warmed so it was moist without being wet. The rye was crusty on the outside, WARM!, and not too soft, so it didn't break down from the pastrami even after it had been on the plate for a while. In fact, I took a loaf home for lunches for the week.

They were out of black-and-white cookies, so we took a few chocolate tops for the road.

Definitely back in the rotation.

Dan - I almost never disagree with you but...

Earlier this week I was not feeling well and stopped at Celebrity for some chicken soup on the way home.

I did like the broth and agree tasted homemade, but there was one little sliver of chicken in it, way too much celery and the noodles were like spagetti added as an afterthought. I wound up draining the junk through a calander and diced up some chicken leftovers and reheated in saucepan. Actually pretty good after I fixed it up.

Yours was the first good review I had heard since the sale a couple years ago.

How would you compare it with Brooklyn's on the Darnestown Road?

My trips to Brooklyn's can be characterized by fantastic bread, but only ok pastrami/corned beef.

I did like the broth and agree tasted homemade, but there was one little sliver of chicken in it, way too much celery and the noodles were like spagetti added as an afterthought. I wound up draining the junk through a calander and diced up some chicken leftovers and reheated in saucepan. Actually pretty good after I fixed it up.

Yours was the first good review I had heard since the sale a couple years ago.

Well, that's a bummer. Inconsistency remains the name of the game, then. My bowl had so much stuff in it, there was hardly room for broth.

I can't verify this anywhere on the internet, but I heard today that Celebrity Deli of Potomac has closed (and their phone is disconnected). The Falls Church Celebrity Delly (note the spelling) remains open.

The Maryland location of Celebrity Deli was the original, having opened in 1975.