Manhattan Deli, Penn Quarter - Closed

I have to recommend Manhattan Deli by the Archives/Navy Memorial metro stop. Crappy place, but goooood pizza. May not be totally New York-ish (crust may be a little too thick for that) but it's got delicious cheese and the crust is a nice crispy/chewy mix.

I have to recommend Manhattan Deli by the Archives/Navy Memorial metro stop. Crappy place, but goooood pizza. May not be totally New York-ish (crust may be a little too thick for that) but it's got delicious cheese and the crust is a nice crispy/chewy mix.

Very NOT New York-ish. They don't even use a pizza oven to cook the pizzas - they have one of those assembly-line rolling ovens like Quizno's uses to heat the sandwiches. Doesn't get hot enough, so the cheese doesn't melt properly, and the dough never blisters. Went once, won't go back.

Ditto to what Daniel said. This is the place to go if you don't mind soft, chewy crust and impossibly greasy pizza. This is the kind of stuff you would have at 2AM after a night out drinking in college, not somewhere to go for a respectable slice for lunch.

Any update on the bakery that is supposed to occupy the space vacated by Manhattan Deli?

The internets said that it's going to be a Paul ("We're about to open In Washington D.C.") - not substantiated, but that kind of makes sense. Spring opening?

And they applied for permits as of about a month ago...

http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2010/12/new-fast-food-and-bakery-coming-to-801-penn-ave-nw/

I've been to Paul locations in London before - pretty good stuff, but not cheap.

The internets said that it's going to be a Paul ("We're about to open In Washington D.C.") - not substantiated, but that kind of makes sense. Spring opening?

And they applied for permits as of about a month ago...

http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2010/12/new-fast-food-and-bakery-coming-to-801-penn-ave-nw/

My guess (based solely on reading these posts) is that Paul is going in the old D'Acqua space and not the old Manhattan Deli space - both of those establishments had an 801 Pennsylvania Ave. address, but note on the permit that they're changing it from a 225-seat restaurant, and D'Acqua was a big restaurant.

Nosh it,

Sherlock

Hooray, what a pleasant piece of news hidden in the Manhattan Deli thread - perhaps it deserves its own thread. On frequent business trips to London Paul was my go to place for consistently good pastries and sandwiches. On my way to Heathrow I would often stop at Paul near Convent Garden for breakfast and my in-flight picnic. IMHO Paul is way better than Prete a Manger. I would expect them to open several shops in the area as a single node will not be viable. I eagerly await a slice of their plum tart.

My guess (based solely on reading these posts) is that Paul is going in the old D'Acqua space and not the old Manhattan Deli space - both of those establishments had an 801 Pennsylvania Ave. address, but note on the permit that they're changing it from a 225-seat restaurant, and D'Acqua was a big restaurant.

Nosh it,

Sherlock

I've been wondering what was going in to the d'acqua space!