Bun Rieu

There are not a lot of good options for Hu tieu in this area. Little Saigon is better than Hai Duong for sure. You can also try Viet bistro. I made them myself :mellow:

Liver in Bun Rieu ? What's next ? Pasta for lomein ?

Sorry, I have to correct myself once again because it's actually huge blocks of bone marrow. I have always requested to have it removed from the soup because it reminds me of liver (not in a good way).

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Bun Rieu - Crab Meat Noodle Soup

3 qts. chicken broth, 2 qts. water

1/2 lb. Shrimp (peeled, devined and cut into small pieces)

3 1/2 oz. Crab paste (even better with real cooked crab meat)

4 large eggs

1 pkg. rice noodle (bu'n)

3 1/2 Tbls. cooking oil

1 bundle green onion (chopped)

1 medium onion (chopped)

3 cloves garlic (minced)

4 large tomatoes (each cut into quarters)

1 cup ketchup

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup hot chili sauce

1/2 cup Vietnamese fish sauce

1/2 cup Shrimp sauce (ma'm to^m)

1 pkg of Bu'n (Vietnamese rice noodle)

1/2 lb. fresh bean sprouts

1 head green lettuce

2 Limes (cut into wedges)

1 bundle of fresh mint

**This internet recipe forgot to add: FISH PASTE. That is the most important ingredient to Bun Rieu.

1. In a large pot, combine 3 qts. of chicken broth with 2 qts. of water. Bring to boil. Meanwhile, peel and devine the shrimps. Chop it into small pieces. Add 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt and sugar and mix well. Chop green onion into small pieces. Place in a bowl and set aside. Also, chop the white onion in small pieces. Cut each tomato into quarters. Mince the garlic. Clean bean sprouts and green lettuce. Cut lettuce cross-wise about 1/4 inch wide. Also cut the mints into small pieces. In a bowl, mix bean sprouts, lettuce, and mint together. Set aside.

2. When the broth boils, reduce heat to medium and add ketchup to broth. Then, in a frying pan, heat 2 Tbls. oil. When oil is hot, add garlic. Mix for 10-20 minutes and add shrimp and chopped white onion. Saute the shrimp for about 2 minutes. Place the cooked shrimp in a bowl, add eggs and crab paste and mix well. Slowly pour the shrimp mixture into the broth. Add tomatoes and turn the heat down to low. Let it cook like this for 10 minutes and then turn the heat up to high. Do not try to stir up the shrimp mixture or else it will not form nice chunky clusters. When the broth boils, it will mix everything up.

3. Mean while, cook the noodle in a boiling water for 7-10 minutes or per directions on the package. When rice noodle is cooked, add 1 tsp. of oil, stir well so the noodles don't stick. Rinse noodles with cold water and drain well.

4. When the broth returns to boil and shrimp paste floats to the surface, taste the broth to see if more salt and sugar are need. If needed, add more salt or sugar depending on your taste. Add the green onion pieces and 1/2 tsp. of oil to broth and turn off heat. Cut the lime into wedges and set aside.

5. Put the vegetable mix on a plate along with wedges of lime. Place noodles in a bowl and pour hot bu'n rieu soup into the bowl on top of noodle. Serve hot with hot chili sauce, shrimp sauce, and fish sauce if needed.

Sorry, I have to correct myself once again because it's actually huge blocks of bone marrow. I have always requested to have it removed from the soup because it reminds me of liver (not in a good way).

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Bun Rieu - Crab Meat Noodle Soup

3 qts. chicken broth, 2 qts. water

1/2 lb. Shrimp (peeled, devined and cut into small pieces)

3 1/2 oz. Crab paste (even better with real cooked crab meat)

4 large eggs

1 pkg. rice noodle (bu'n)

3 1/2 Tbls. cooking oil

1 bundle green onion (chopped)

1 medium onion (chopped)

3 cloves garlic (minced)

4 large tomatoes (each cut into quarters)

1 cup ketchup

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup hot chili sauce

1/2 cup Vietnamese fish sauce

1/2 cup Shrimp sauce (ma'm to^m)

1 pkg of Bu'n (Vietnamese rice noodle)

1/2 lb. fresh bean sprouts

1 head green lettuce

2 Limes (cut into wedges)

1 bundle of fresh mint

**This internet recipe forgot to add: FISH PASTE. That is the most important ingredient to Bun Rieu.

1. In a large pot, combine 3 qts. of chicken broth with 2 qts. of water. Bring to boil. Meanwhile, peel and devine the shrimps. Chop it into small pieces. Add 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt and sugar and mix well. Chop green onion into small pieces. Place in a bowl and set aside. Also, chop the white onion in small pieces. Cut each tomato into quarters. Mince the garlic. Clean bean sprouts and green lettuce. Cut lettuce cross-wise about 1/4 inch wide. Also cut the mints into small pieces. In a bowl, mix bean sprouts, lettuce, and mint together. Set aside.

2. When the broth boils, reduce heat to medium and add ketchup to broth. Then, in a frying pan, heat 2 Tbls. oil. When oil is hot, add garlic. Mix for 10-20 minutes and add shrimp and chopped white onion. Saute the shrimp for about 2 minutes. Place the cooked shrimp in a bowl, add eggs and crab paste and mix well. Slowly pour the shrimp mixture into the broth. Add tomatoes and turn the heat down to low. Let it cook like this for 10 minutes and then turn the heat up to high. Do not try to stir up the shrimp mixture or else it will not form nice chunky clusters. When the broth boils, it will mix everything up.

3. Mean while, cook the noodle in a boiling water for 7-10 minutes or per directions on the package. When rice noodle is cooked, add 1 tsp. of oil, stir well so the noodles don't stick. Rinse noodles with cold water and drain well.

4. When the broth returns to boil and shrimp paste floats to the surface, taste the broth to see if more salt and sugar are need. If needed, add more salt or sugar depending on your taste. Add the green onion pieces and 1/2 tsp. of oil to broth and turn off heat. Cut the lime into wedges and set aside.

5. Put the vegetable mix on a plate along with wedges of lime. Place noodles in a bowl and pour hot bu'n rieu soup into the bowl on top of noodle. Serve hot with hot chili sauce, shrimp sauce, and fish sauce if needed.

There shouldn't be any bone marrow in bun rieu. What you think is liver is actual rieu which is crab meat paste. Where did you get recipe for this ? Bun rieu is made from crab meat catched in the river. This recipe is terrible and does not even have any crabs in it.

Here is a authentic Bun Rieu recipe if you are up to it. Not even the restaurants in Eden do it this way cause it just too time consuming. They use mostly pork broth.

Crack 6 live maryland crabs open, quarter the meats and mash them till they become fine paste. Mix them with 6 quarts of water, use your fingers to rub out the meat of the crab and let them mix with water, filter the shells of the crab, what you have left is milky water. Bring it to a slow simmer, not hard boil, pour in a cup of fish sauce and let it simmer, you will see the crab meat stick together and float to the top, take them out. What you have left is the crab broth for Bun Rieu. Let it simmers.

If you have crab meats in the can, mix them with fish sauce, freshly ground black pepper to taste and 2 egg white, scoop them slowly in the broth, there's your rieu.

Use 2 tomatoes, cut each into 8 pieces, fried tofu ( I bought them already made in Thanh Son tofu in Eden), slice 2 shallots into thin pieces and slice some garlic as well.

in a sauce pan, heat up annato seed oil, put in tomatoes, shallots, fried tofu, stir fry for about 3 minutes and pour them into the broth.

Bring the soup to taste with salt.

You can serve your Bun rieu with noodle of course, add banana blossoms that were shredded, Kinh Gioi, Tia To, mints, hot pepper, slice of lime, pork blood, all the standard that you see they serve in Eden and no bean sprout please. If you use shrimp paste (mam ruot), take enough of the broth in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, keep the crab meat separate, add shrimp paste and mix well. I don't eat shrimp paste uncooked.

Sorry, I do not have detail written instruction, it's from observation and doing it at least once a month. My wife loves bun so I alternatively cook bun rieu, bun bo hue, pho, hu tieu every week for her. The smashing, mixing and filtering of the crab is hard labor. It takes me an average of 3 hours just to do that. but if you're patient enough, you will be rewarded with the sweetest Bun Rieu you ever taste.

Cheers

My wife loves bun so I alternatively cook bun rieu, bun bo hue, pho, hu tieu every week for her. The smashing, mixing and filtering of the crab is hard labor. It takes me an average of 3 hours just to do that. but if you're patient enough, you will be rewarded with the sweetest Bun Rieu you ever taste.

Now that's what I call love! I once heard this "Jewish mother" advice (not from my mother, however) to women: "Before you walk down the aisle, ask yourself this question: will this man make chicken soup for me when I'm sick?" Your wife obviously chose well, finecognac.