Asia Nine, West Penn Quarter

What do ya say, what do ya know?

What do ya wanna bet it's another mediocre Asian-fusion place with a multi-million dollar wardrobe?

I'll bet you a foo foo cocktail or two.

By the way, I'm not sure if this ----> http://www.asianine.com/ is the same place, but they spelled coming wrong.

This place is going to be nick named Client9 now.

Walked past yesterday - not yet open but it appears they are getting close

Seeing as my wife and I live upstairs from this place, we went tonight more to see what it was like inside after watching it being built for the last year.

Bottom line up front: Good. Not pan-asian, but Thai.

The menu is 75% Thai, 15% Japanese (sushi, yakisoba, miso soup), 10% Chinese and/or Chinese influence. The only Korean on their menu was the OB beer.

So here is what we ordered:

~ Spicy scallop roll: I am a real fiend for spicy scallop rolls. I haven't had one, I don't think, since I left Chicago in 2004. The surprising thing about these scallop rolls was they put tempura bits around the outside and inside the roll. Fresh, raw scallops have a very subtle flavor and texture and the tempura bits kind of distract a little from that. Not a deal-breaker though. The spicy sauce is like the way I am used to--made with Kewpie mayo. I'm not sure what the spicy sauce normally is here on the East coast, but it's different somehow.

~ Spring rolls: Spring rolls. They were good.

~ Penang Curry: Curry was good, wasn't bad, but definitely wasn't anything unusual. It was a fairly large portion size too.

~ Kapow on rice: Let's talk about this for a minute. I really like a traditional ka prow (I think it's traditional anyway) which is made with ground chicken. I actively search this out and the only places I've found it anywhere near DC is at this little place outside Fort Belvoir (Rice and Spice Thai, I think) and Bangkok Joe's down on the waterfront in Georgetown. The one I had here at Asia 9 is by far the best I've had in a really, really long time. It was a really large portion, and I told me wife that I would be hard pressed not to order this every time we go there. I like this place just for this dish alone.

Service was actually really good, prompt, no problems.

I'm really happy to have a place like this in my building. It will definitely save some money from getting delivery from Thai Chili. Is it a ground-breaking place? No. But it's a nice little place to have downstairs.

Next time we go, I am going to order the chirashi...

Service is very pleasant and timely, atmosphere is pretty and relaxing, food is not particularly, but certainly fine for the price point and purpose. This seems to be more of a happy hour/cocktail spot than a dinner destination.

I had the crab wontons, miso soup, and crunchy salmon roll...all good and basic. The green tea creme brulee had a lovely crunchy top, and the custard had a nice green tea flavor, but the custard texture was runny and left a lot to be desired.

It's a welcome newcomer, but I don't recommend planning a special evening here, not with so many other winners in the neighborhood. That said, if I lived in the area, I would be a fairly regular takeout customer. ;)

Any other reports on Asia Nine? It's so convenient to the E Street cinema, particularly when you haven't planned ahead and everyplace else you want to go is booked.

I stopped into Asia Nine last night for happy hour - the restaurant was empty (as opposed to Elephant and Castle which was packed), but the bar had a decent crowd. I ordered a glass of Helfrich Riesling ($5 at happy hour) which tasted too German to be Alsatian, so I asked to see the bottle. Sure enough, it was a 2008 Dr. Loosen "Dr. L," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'll sometimes order something I've never heard of, not even bothering to ask what it is. Such was the case with the Toko Yai ($4). Does anyone know what this is?

It's a hilarious misspelling of Tako Yaki, three deep-fried octopus balls (no comments, please) that were primarily mushy breading, each having a couple tough chunks of tako inside. They were served with pickled vegetables and very strong sauces, and just weren't that good, even for $4.

The menu inside says the happy hour specials run from 4:30-8, but the sign outside says 4:30-7. I also noted that Asia Nine has curbside delivery if you call in advance ($17 minimum, pre-tax and tip).

Cheers,

Rocks